Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu 22LSV 2019 vs 23 LSV 2021

LifeofAdubb

Need help... looking at two used boats a 2019  22 LSV with 140 hours and Monsoon 409 engine (priced at $115k) vs 2021 23 LSV with 430 hours and M5di engine (priced at 125k). I know the market is crazy. I like the idea of the 2021 but it is more than double the hours. I feel like both will perform equal when it comes to the wake. Also need your thoughts on the 409 Monsoon engine vs the M5di. Is it worth more hours for the newer engine and boat? Or should I look at the older boat with less hours?

With the M5Di on the 23LSV you may struggle to get the speed while fully loaded. I’m only running the M5 on the VLX and wish I had the M6. YMMV

This year we upgraded from a 2016 22 VLX (raptor 410 instead of monsoon) to a 2020 23 LSV M5. They are slightly different than what you are looking at but here are my thoughts: The boat new out performs the old boat in every way. It has more room, it’s much quieter, the surf wave is better, and the M5 with the 17” prop has more power and torque than the 410. We boat at 4500’-6500’ have a 8-12 people in the  boat at times and still surf sacked out and about 3300 rpms. I could never go back to the older engine/smaller boat now that I’ve seen what the M’s can do. That being said 430 hours is a lot of hours and would be hard for me to swallow on a 2021 boat.

3 minutes ago, Pilotguy said:

With the M5Di on the 23LSV you may struggle to get the speed while fully loaded. I’m only running the M5 on the VLX and wish I had the M6. YMMV

So strange how we all have different experiences. I’ve thought the opposite. I don’t see how I could justify the price jump to the M6 when I’ve never seen the 5 struggle in any aspect.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

So strange how we all have different experiences. I’ve thought the opposite. I don’t see how I could justify the price jump to the M6 when I’ve never seen the 5 struggle in any aspect.

Ditto.  No issues ever in power.

That's a ton of hrs for a '21.  

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 2

For the 21 to have 430 hours it seems like it could have been a rental or part of a training program?  I'd find out what the backstory is but wouldn't totally rule it out if the maintenance is kept up.  Still lots of life left in that boat.  How's the overall condition of the two boats?  21 has more room and possibly more warranty time, on the other hand that PCM 409 is one of the better engines ever produced for marine applications and will haul that 22 around fully loaded all day.  Lot's to like about both.  Fun decision make and consider yourself lucky to have a choice these days...