Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Response 6.0L Thermostat replacement (Leaking)

Need some help!  I replaced the thermostat in my 2017 Response Txi but I failed to pay attention to the order of the gaskets when I took it out (ya, I know that was dumb) but now I cant get it to stop leaking! There are two gaskets (one round with 2 holes and one triangular with 3 holes) and a triangular metal plate matching the 3 hole gasket. I found one blog that indicated that the assembly goes together in the following order: Thermostat, two hole gasket, metal plate, three hole gasket and then the top housing. Does anyone know if this is the correct order? I'm thinking maybe I just haven't tightened the bolts enough but I'm afraid to overtighten and I cant find torque setting info anywhere either.

Any help would be appreciated!!

8 minutes ago, slalomfan said:

I'm afraid to overtighten and I cant find torque setting info anywhere either.

I can't help you with your gasket stack, but you can always look up a torque specification for a fastener by its size.  This chart from Fastenal is very comprehensive.  Read the notes to decide the K factor to use based on your conditions.  The torque applied to a dry fastener is very different from that applied to a lubricated one, so the K factor helps you get it right.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/merch_rules/images/fcom/content-library/Torque-Tension Reference Guide.pdf

Torque values aside, I like to use aircraft shellac (e.g. Permatex 80017) on all gaskets like those for thermostats.  I also smear a dab onto each fastener before I install it.  That helps it hold and also allows it to break free after years of service, especially here around salt water.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/?locale=en_us