Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Squeak/squeal when coming to a stop or putting into reverse 2018 23lsv

Under power everything is normal but if I pull power all the way back, right before everything stops spinning, I get a squeaking noise that if I had to guess sounds like the babbitt style bearing that the prop shaft passes through. If I shift from neutral to reverse I get it as well. It's not a grinding sound, but more a higher pitch squeal. Even under low power, (6-10 mph) I don't get it, just at basically no power but in gear. Any suggestion on what it might be or how to remedy?

Thanks!

don't' mean to sound like an arse, but have you owned an inboard before?  I have to ask, because these transmissions/Vdrives will produce high pitch "squeak" noise when in gear fwd or definitely when reversing.  if it is indeed a high pitch abnormal sounds that is not from the transmission, could be belt squelch (belt is either dirty/old) which can produce a high pitch noise you would hear at those speeds in reverse or forward.

This is my second and I've never heard this type of noise, and this one didn't make the noise when I first bought it. The noise also seems to be getting more pronounced. I will take a video next time I'm out so that other's can hear it and hopefully identify the source. If it is from the V-drive or tranny then I'm sure something will fail as a result. It seems to emanate from the rear/underside, so I do think it's the shaft bearing/support.

Sounds like shaft alignment.  If you have dinged a prop .. even a little, the shaft could be rubbing the brass and will make that sound and only during low rpms (like less than idle .. during those start/stop transitions).  Typically it will wear off but worth getting the alignment checked.