Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone Ridden 2021 LSV23 and M220? Thinking of Making a Change

guitarcrazy

We ordered a new 2021 LSV 23 and it has been a great boat so far.  We were very close to ordering an M220, but they weren't out yet and we weren't sure how well it would surf and board compated to the 23.  We do have groups of 12 somewhat regularly, so I wasn't sure if we would feel cramped in the 220.  After seeing more 220s around I am sort of having second thoughts about not getting the 220.  I have yet to ride behind one, but I do like the looks a lot, and the upgraded interior touches are nice.  Anyone been back to back between the new LSV23 and the 220?  Might have to put the LSV on the market.....

Normally I find it annoying when someone asks a question and then someone else replies with "Well I don't know about the question you just asked but I'll answer something else..." so I was quiet on this answer but here goes anyhow. 

Short version - M220 in short is pretty much the king of the lake!

I have an M220, I have not ridden on the 23 LSV. I came out of a 2019 22 LSV.  Word on the street is that 22 LSV and 23 LSV are similar so... 

Wakeboard wake, Surf Wake both a significant step up. They do take a bit of tweaking and the factory settings are kind of questionable. But, ya I am extremely happy going from the 22LSV to the M220. 

Interior is a huge upgrade

Space, with the big bow, 3 to 4 folks can hang up there no problem. With 13 people we were all cozy but not cramped. With that same load of 13 I could tank the boat up + Plug and Play and still get on plane with the M6 and an 18x14 prop. The reality was though there was no reason for all that weight. With some fairly high end riders we ended up dumping some ballast and still had a pro-level wake. 

I really cant say enough about the M220 it is a beast and frankly is a notch above the G21s in my and many others opinions. 

• Like 3

Thanks Geogilbert.  I haven't ridden the 22 LSV, but from what I have read most think it is a step down from the 23 so still hard to know for sure.  My big concern is comfort.  I really like the styling and upgraded materials, but we often have 12 people, and have had 16 a couple of times.  I measured the interior of the 220 and it is approx 2' shorter than the LSV 23 in the cockpit.  The bow is obviously bigger on the 220, so hard to know if everyone will still be as comfortable in the 220.  I am hoping to ride behind a neighbor's boat this weekend and see if we really miss the larger cockpit.  Appreciate the feedback. 

We went from a 22 LSV to a 23 MXZ, the surf wake was improved.  What I am interested in knowing is how much smaller is the M220 in the bow than the 23 MXZ? Our crew loves the pickle fork space however looking for more wake for larger riders in the crew and less dipping of the bow.  From pictures both the M220 and 25 LSV look like they just don't have the space in the front as the 23 MXZ.

7 hours ago, geogilbert said:

Normally I find it annoying when someone asks a question and then someone else replies with "Well I don't know about the question you just asked but I'll answer something else..." so I was quiet on this answer but here goes anyhow. 

Short version - M220 in short is pretty much the king of the lake!

I have an M220, I have not ridden on the 23 LSV. I came out of a 2019 22 LSV.  Word on the street is that 22 LSV and 23 LSV are similar so... 

Wakeboard wake, Surf Wake both a significant step up. They do take a bit of tweaking and the factory settings are kind of questionable. But, ya I am extremely happy going from the 22LSV to the M220. 

Interior is a huge upgrade

Space, with the big bow, 3 to 4 folks can hang up there no problem. With 13 people we were all cozy but not cramped. With that same load of 13 I could tank the boat up + Plug and Play and still get on plane with the M6 and an 18x14 prop. The reality was though there was no reason for all that weight. With some fairly high end riders we ended up dumping some ballast and still had a pro-level wake. 

I really cant say enough about the M220 it is a beast and frankly is a notch above the G21s in my and many others opinions. 

Hey Geo, I'm about to close on a '21 M220. Curious what size bags you are running? Can you get more than 550s in back lockers? 

These are the bags I am running, 

W022-570-AVO-KIT Rear 570 lbs PNP Bags Malibu

As far as dipping the bow. Not sure you can. Fully loaded I can do a 180 straight into the surf wake and I go over it with no issue. The whole boat sits incredibly high.  It towers over anything else in the Bu lineup except the 240. 

If you decide to pull the trigger I am fairly sure you will be happy. Hope you get to ride your buddies and see for your self. Your welcome any time with mu but, Montana is a long way from Ohio... 

Thanks Geo. Me and a buddy went out with dealer last night for a lake test and to get a few surf sets in. I'm coming from a 16 23 lsv, and we ride on my buddy's 18 24 mxz a lot, and have 750s in the back of both.

Have to admit, I expected to see a much bigger face on the surf wave on 220, compared to what I've had on the 23lsv and 24 mxz. We had factory ballast w 550 pnps loaded on the 220. Plenty of push for sure. And we didn't have a ton of time to do a lot of micro adjustments, so maybe it will just take some time. I know the boat can handle a lot more weight, and only 4 adults out last night, but won't often have more people on board than that. 

Curious what your thoughts are? Have you heard of anyone getting any bigger pnps in back lockers? 

Many thanks. 

I have found that the factory presets for surfing are too fast. I think it's set at 11.4 or something up in that range. I found 10.6 to be a much better speed. Also I do drop a little ballast on the off-side to get the surf gate closer to the surface. With those changes it's pretty much the biggest Surf Wave ever seen. Right on par with an 25 lsv orA 24

Oh, almost forgot I do have 600 lb of lead mid-ship

But I do have to admit I'm really a wakeboarder not a surfer. So my judgment on the matter is not the best.

Edited by geogilbert
On 7/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, GT1 said:

Hey Geo, I'm about to close on a '21 M220. Curious what size bags you are running? Can you get more than 550s in back lockers? 

You might be able to go bigger but they won’t fill completely full due to the L-shaped hard tanks. As soon as those are full the pumps will shut off and won’t fill anymore even when pressing fill-all again. My two cents if you are getting custom bags is to make sure the bags fill up the compartment (at the bottom) as much as possible; a taller bag won’t help for the reason above. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Rode behind a 23 LSV prior to buying the M220. I didn’t even like the 23 LSV wave as much as I liked my 21 MLX wave. With that being said, I was a guest on the 23 LSV and did not set it up myself. I LOVE the M220 wave and so does everyone else that rides behind it!

• Like 2

I have an m220 and my good friend has a 2020 LSV 23.     Both have the same enigne the M6. 

We ride both boats all the time.    Really no comparison in the surf wave.   The m220 is bigger, taller, longer and more push.    The extra weight in the m220 makes a huge difference in the wave.    

The cabin area in the LSV 23 is about 6 inches longer.  Look at the pictures of both and the second cushion is longer in the LSV.   

We also have another friend with a 2021 LSV 25.   He has the LT4 enigne.    I am very jealous of that engine.  Barely any noise while surfing.    Wish my boat had the LT4 for sure.    We only meet him occasionally.   While his wave is also better then the LSV 23, we all agree the wave is the best in the m220.   

I'm guessing all that weight in a smaller space causes more displacement.    

What prop are you M220 guys running?  I'm about to pull the trigger on one.  There are 4 different options (I think).  17x14 is standard but I saw someone mention 18x14 .. bigger is better right? haha

(I'm at sea level so no elevation concerns and run a speed prop on my 23 MXZ).