Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rod Through Oil Pan / New Engine Recommendations

Well the title says it all. Was having a lovely day yesterday enjoying the lake we drove around and just hung out. On the way back to the marina we were going about 30, oil pressure dropped and I didn't catch it fast enough apparently and BANG and a bunch of white smoke coming out of the engine compartment. I shut it off, open the hatch, don't notice anything immediate. I wait like 15 minutes, turn it over and it does start but super rough so I shut if off. I get towed in and well today I had some time so I looked under the engine and well there is a hole on both sides of the oil pan and I can see a rod through one of the holes.... pretty bummer day (2017 F150 also threw a code on the way there and sounds like a diesel engine right now so really not a good day).

I don't think there's anything salvageable in the block in there? I'm thinking I need to find a new block / motor. Does anyone have recommendations? I've seen people say you can't just use a GM engine (I was thinking use GM Performance Parts or something) but some say certain things are marinized in a marine engine. So I'm looking for recommendations. I'm hoping I can pick one up for <3k and then another 2k to have it installed? This was my first day out on the water since Gabe finished my upholstery last week so not a fun 2 weeks on the wallet.

When I'm looking at motors, are they standard rotation or reverse rotation? It's a 2003 Malibu VLX with the Indmar Monsoon 335.

I see:

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/5-7l-vortec-marine-engine-1996-current - $2,800

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12691673.html - $3,250

Or another recommendation? Any recommendations on a shop to do the swap for me? I live in the Modesto, California area so Sac, Stockton, the Delta are all not too far away. Appears my season is over after one trip out :(

• Sad 3

I've used 5.7 long blocks from Michigan motorz, Marine Power (marineenginedepot.com), and Jasper engines with good results.  Jasper has the best price and warranty on remanufactured engines, but Marine Power has plenty of new engines available.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

Any idea on what caused the failure? 

I believe oil pressure dropped suddenly, my oil pressure gauge had been intermittent all day but I checked the oil in the morning and the afternoon and had oil. When it happened my temp was right at 160 on the gauge.

I was going to ask what blindsquirrel did. With just a bang and no warning, my guess is a rod bearing or rod itself simply failed, and lack of oil pressure was an after effect. Sorry. Hopefully in the end it will run even better. I'm curious to know if you end up searching what happened.

Steve B.

16 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Check your boat insurance policy, some provide coverage for sudden mechanical failure 

Where would I even find that in my policy? If it's in there it's now going to be a pain because of course my insurance renewed this week (yesterday). So technically it happened during my old policy which is through Geico Marine (BoattUS). 

Edited by saskicker32
34 minutes ago, saskicker32 said:

Where would I even find that in my policy? If it's in there it's now going to be a pain because of course my insurance renewed this week (yesterday). So technically it happened during my old policy which is through Geico Marine (BoattUS). 

Make a claim and see what they say. My policy thru travelers has an endorsement that deletes the mechanical  breakdown exception to coverage. Clear as mud, but basically it covers sudden failure. Not going to cover decline or wear and tear. It is also an agreed value policy stating the agreed value of boat, trailer, and motor.   So I have $5k on trailer and $5k on engine and $19k on hull, liability and some personal property coverage.

Edited by Bozboat