Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 LSV - Need spare prop

Brandonloos21

Going to order a new/spare prop for our new 23 lsv. I’ve noticed it has the high torque prop (17x14 1773 OJ), it tops out at 34-35 mph, and surfs fully loaded at 11.2 at 4200-4300 rpm. We are BLOWING through gas, I feel 2x as much as our old t23. Given, I understand heavier boat, power wedge, these make for more drag therefore more consumption, but it’s seeming to be a lot of consumption lol. 

What would be a good prop to lower my RPM’s a little bit? Looking at ACME 2805 or 3047, I’m not sure though. Let me know what you guys run. I’m at a max of 2500 altitude 

Get the ACME 2805 (17x17) and you'll be very happy with it. I've been using that close to sea level and this weekend we ran it at 4,900' with great results. You should see your RPMS come down by 800-1000 too.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NWBU said:

Get the ACME 2805 (17x17) and you'll be very happy with it. I've been using that close to sea level and this weekend we ran it at 4,900' with great results. You should see your RPMS come down by 800-1000 too.

Do you have any experience with the 3311 ACME. I just called and that’s what they reccomend. They said it’s an 18” prop and would help to drop rpms and still be able to surf loaded down. 

29 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Do you have any experience with the 3311 ACME. I just called and that’s what they reccomend. They said it’s an 18” prop and would help to drop rpms and still be able to surf loaded down. 

I don’t but if you have enough clearance under the boat, an 18” could work. After running the 17x17 for the last month or so, I don’t get why that’s not the factory standard prop, with the M6, rather than being listed as the “speed” prop.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I don’t but if you have enough clearance under the boat, an 18” could work. After running the 17x17 for the last month or so, I don’t get why that’s not the factory standard prop, with the M6, rather than being listed as the “speed” prop.

What are surf rpms (I assume you can surf at speed with full ballast pnp and crew), whats top speed?

Getting ready to order 2022 25 LSV.  Live in North Texas.  Should I be concerned with prop choice?  Recommendations?  How would the High Altitude Torque 17x14 - 1773 perform?

18 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

What are surf rpms (I assume you can surf at speed with full ballast pnp and crew), whats top speed?

I'm running the 2805 like @NWBUand the performance is a significant improvement over what you're using.  I ordered the boat with the standard prop and then ordered the 2805.  As soon as I got the 2805 I put it on the boat and have the "standard" prop as a back up.  

Also as @NWBUsaid, we're seeing surf RPM from 2,900-3,300 depending on crew size, wedge position, and speed.  For our younger riders, we're using a little less speed and wedge and don't run fully loaded and it works well for the kids that are around 50#.  For the teenagers and adults we're running fully loaded -25% on the non-surfside between 11.2-11.6 and it's closer to 3,300 RPM.  I have fully opened it up with the 2805 and while I've only done so a couple times, I recall seeing 42 mpg +/-, but that was at the end of last month when we went to Norris Lake for a week.  Hole shot is solid, speed is solid, and it keeps the gas consumption down a bit.  I don't think you can go wrong with that prop, @Brandonloos21.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, 4mc said:

Getting ready to order 2022 25 LSV.  Live in North Texas.  Should I be concerned with prop choice?  Recommendations?  How would the High Altitude Torque 17x14 - 1773 perform?

Everyone I know in Texas with 25 LSVs are all running the same 2805 (17x17), loaded up for surfing. That's the prop I'd order even with the extra weight of the larger 2022 25 LSV. If you're worried about that prop, then try a 17x15.5. A 17x14 is going to be much higher RPMs, fuel burn and noise, for no benefit.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Everyone I know in Texas with 25 LSVs are all running the same 2805 (17x17), loaded up for surfing. That's the prop I'd order even with the extra weight of the larger 2022 25 LSV. If you're worried about that prop, then try a 17x15.5. A 17x14 is going to be much higher RPMs, fuel burn and noise, for no benefit.

I agree with a slight reservation.  I'm not sure there's much evidence of performance with the new '22 25LSV to confirm.  It's substantially heavier than the outgoing model.  However, we're talking at or near sea level and I would think that combination with the M6 would be fine.  

• 2 weeks later...

2022 25 LSV LT4: What about the stress on the transmission with the various  props?  We’ll be running at altitude, at times at 6,000 ft: would the 17X15.5 or 17x17 at altitude over-stress the tranny?

Thanks. D