Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decision Time for Purchase Any final thoughts? LSV 25 vs MXZ 24 or 23

4mc

On 7/27/2021 at 7:06 AM, ZephyrBlueBu said:

Ordered our 25 LSV in May and Spray date 7/27/2021…… tomorrow. Just sold 2019 25 LSV and loved it for 270+ hours. Our primary factor to upgrade was the walk over transom. Prefer the traditional bow but wanted the walkover to keep the dog off the upholstery. 

Must haves…stern turn, transom lounge seats, heater and heated captain seat to surf year round in Texas, flip down swim step (also great for dog).

here is a link I found that had the most interior pics of the new 25 LSV that I have seen. (Not our build)

https://www.inlandboatcompany.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=10800912&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Transom lounge seats is it an $option or it goes in Base for any 25slv? 

Couple of FYI’s that I learned since ordering my own for the first time:

• The phone holders up front in the bow are optional
  • Our dealer doesn’t order tower speakers as part of their SOP. Didn’t know that but will work out better because will go with a single set of Rev10’s which are better than 4 of Malibu’s 8” speakers. Bu is known for under powering their systems. 
  • I also missed the swim step on the order form but am glad we don’t have it. After seeing it in person, I don’t like how those hinges stick out beyond the deck. My kids and I would most definitely end up with a few scars from them and I would never use it. Our dealer said he doesn’t like to order them either in general 
28 minutes ago, wdr said:

We love our flip down swim step and use the heck out of it. Never had an issue with hitting the hinges and it doesn’t mess with the surf wake. If you used it I think you would change your mind. Every weekend end someone is saying, “we wish we had one on our MC, Supra or Centurion”.

Good to know. I was really pumped about getting one for my folks, dog, kids swimming, etc. I’ll have to get behind one at some point to give it a go

On 7/26/2021 at 8:49 AM, Sparky450 said:

Everyone I talk to and from my experience the traditional bow is less likely to take on water.

If this is wrong, somebody please correct me. 

This makes no sense as the overhang of the pickle fork tends to divert the water outward.  I have owned both and believe the pickle fork is harder to submerge.

We had a 22 LSV and traded for a 23 MXZ, love the bow space but if there are other boat wakes, especially there surf wakes you have to pay attention to keep from dipping the bow and sometimes it can not be avoided unless you ignore your rider while you position the boat.  When not loaded for surf not nearly the problem but while loaded .........

• Like 2
16 hours ago, wdr said:

We love our flip down swim step and use the heck out of it. Never had an issue with hitting the hinges and it doesn’t mess with the surf wake. If you used it I think you would change your mind. Every weekend end someone is saying, “we wish we had one on our MC, Supra or Centurion”.

This times 100.  I still can't believe the swim step isn't almost automatic for everyone.  We have countless kids crawling over our boat without one cut.  They are being put on almost all Cobalt's and other runabouts companies are knocking the design off as it is so popular.  

45 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

This times 100.  I still can't believe the swim step isn't almost automatic for everyone.  We have countless kids crawling over our boat without one cut.  They are being put on almost all Cobalt's and other runabouts companies are knocking the design off as it is so popular.  

I was skeptical too but I’ll never get a boat without one after having it this summer. Instant hit with the girls and kids, and we didn’t have any issues with the brackets. 

The initial selling point for me was my dealer said they would insist I get it since they check that box for every one of their own stock orders.

I have the swim step and the hinges drag in the water .. they don't really impact the wave but if I'm being honest, I wish they didn't drag.  My dealer is working it but the pin on mine disappeared and now I can just grab it and put it up /down.  I consider it an improvement!  (it doesn't fall down but when its in the water the step kind of floats a little).

19 hours ago, IXFE said:

I have had both and can confirm… pickle is definitely more susceptible to chili dip. It’s what I disliked most about the 24 MXZ and probably the main reason I’m going back to a 25 LSV (for good). 

My 24 MXZ was pretty easy to swamp. Pickle fork bow is heavier. 25 LSV feels and behaves totally different.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I have the swim step and the hinges drag in the water .. they don't really impact the wave but if I'm being honest, I wish they didn't drag.  My dealer is working it but the pin on mine disappeared and now I can just grab it and put it up /down.  I consider it an improvement!  (it doesn't fall down but when its in the water the step kind of floats a little).

FYI there was a bulletin put out that you can now get a pin replacement without ordering an entirely new assembly.  My dealer messaged me about it as I had to replace my entire assembly due to losing pin earlier this season.  

12 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I think I am still getting it.  Though the rest of family all voted no on the flip down step this time. 

Edited by AWADD09
10 minutes ago, AWADD09 said:

I think I am still getting it.  Though the rest of family all voted no on the flip down step this time. 

Kind of crass but true. On cooler days when  it comes time to pee, that flip down will be calling like the Pied Piper of Hamelin. You will receive much gratitude for the purchase!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, AWADD09 said:

We have it, everyone loves it. I do wish the brackets didn’t stick out, and the locking pin can be a PITA, but those gripes are minor compared to the functionality. 

• Like 2

The flipdown is a cool feature (‘22 25 LSV) but we could live without it.  We have the manual version and it is a pain to flip up — there may be a knack to it, but I’d like three arms to flip it up — one for the pin, one for the step and one to stabilize on the platform!

Step is also difficult to open once it gets wet. Water in between the step and platform creates a bond (known as hydroxyl bonding), like a coaster sticking to the bottom of a wet glass, and increases the force required to open.

Funny this thread has become all about the swim step! But I'll contribute. 

I wouldn't have ordered it but it came on an in-stock boat. Now I'll never be without one. My dog (Shepherd) can get on the boat without assistance. It's handy for kids or people who lack upper body strength. I just keep forgetting to put it up when I run the boat and it rips the seadek off.  

On 9/8/2021 at 11:34 PM, IXFE said:

I have had both and can confirm… pickle is definitely more susceptible to chili dip. It’s what I disliked most about the 24 MXZ and probably the main reason I’m going back to a 25 LSV (for good). 

I agree 100%.  The 24MXZ just sits lower in the water.  Ironically, with even a little chop on the water the wind can blow spray up into the boat also.  This was a big complaint of my wife.