Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decision Time for Purchase Any final thoughts? LSV 25 vs MXZ 24 or 23

4mc

Just posted my Yamaha 242 SE for sale and have buyers lined up.  Now need to make decision on which Malibu to buy.  Considering the following:

2022 25 LSV, or 23 or 24 MXZ

Any final tips from those who have owned one, or the other, or both.  The only reason considering the 25 LSV is the extra free board.  I am a bit nervous due to all the threads about submerging the bow that I have read and accordingly leaning towards a bigger boat, since we live on a lake in Texas that gets pretty choppy at times.  Is this concern warranted or is it really a non-issue?

Otherwise, going with the following options (regardless of boat):

• M6 engine
  • flip up swim step
  • larger bimini
  • back-up cameras

What other must have options do you all all recommend?

Really appreciate any and all thoughts.  This is a big purchase and I want to get it right.  Dont want to buy the wrong boat or regret not adding an option due to ignorance.

bigger is better and most say they dont need as much bow weight (tank only) with their 25’s, traditional bow is easier to swamp than pickle fork, most use more bow weight with their mxz’s, i surfed a new 24 mxz with 300 lead and bow swamp was not that likely ,  why arent you comparing the 24 mxz vs the 25 lsv? its the bow weight that leads to swamping

Edited by granddaddy55
16 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

bigger is better and most say they dont need as much bow weight (tank only) with their 25’s, traditional bow is easier to swamp than pickle fork, most use more bow weight with their mxz’s, i surfed a new 24 mxz with 300 lead and bow swamp was not that likely ,  why arent you comparing the 24 mxz vs the 25 lsv? its the bow weight that leads to swamping

I am considering all three options.  However, the real question is 23' vs 25 based on what do I really need and is swamping bow really that big of a problem with 23 MXZ?

21 minutes ago, 4mc said:

Just posted my Yamaha 242 SE for sale and have buyers lined up.  Now need to make decision on which Malibu to buy.  Considering the following:

2022 25 LSV, or 23 or 24 MXZ

Any final tips from those who have owned one, or the other, or both.  The only reason considering the 25 LSV is the extra free board.  I am a bit nervous due to all the threads about submerging the bow that I have read and accordingly leaning towards a bigger boat, since we live on a lake in Texas that gets pretty choppy at times.  Is this concern warranted or is it really a non-issue?

Otherwise, going with the following options (regardless of boat):

• M6 engine
  • flip up swim step
  • larger bimini
  • back-up cameras

What other must have options do you all all recommend?

Really appreciate any and all thoughts.  This is a big purchase and I want to get it right.  Dont want to buy the wrong boat or regret not adding an option due to ignorance.

You're going to get a lot of responses to this inquiry and if at all possible, you should demo each or find people in your area that own some and get in them, ride them, etc. and make the most informed decision you can.  I've been in and behind a 25 LSV, I own a 23 LSV and I've been in and behind a 24 MXZ.  All are great boats and all do some things better than the others.  While we would have loved a 25, it isn't the greatest choice for our home lake and would have required me to add to the budget for a new hoist canopy frame and fabric.  Same with the 24 MXZ.  We liked the surf wave on the 24 quite a bit, but there are other things we didn't care for as much.  Rough water ride on the 24 is not as good as the 25 for one.  I also feel like our 23 handles chop a little better than the 24MXZ.  Others may disagree, but that was my experience.  We settled on the 23LSV because we prefer a more traditional bow boat, it fits our home lake well, and didn't require additional expenditure for our hoist.

We're shopping again now as well for a 2022, so all the same issues are coming up again and we're demoing several boats as well as other manufacturers, primarily due to the experience we've had with our dealer.  That said, be sure that whatever dealer you're working with will be supportive and will properly receive, inspect, and deliver your boat.  They should have a discerning eye and communicate to you what deficiencies have been found and how they'll correct them rather than you taking the boat home to find deficiencies.  You will find them, they will be there, but the dealer should find them for you and address them with you prior to delivery to allow you to decide how to move forward, meaning either address them prior to delivery, or address them at a later date.  You should be able to make that call.  Speaking from experience, the excitement of ordering one of these things and waiting for it to arrive only to find it full of problems that your dealer didn't address with you, completely diminishes the excitement of ordering and receiving your new boat.

4 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I'm sure someone will argue both sides of this statement, but I'm not so sure this is 100% accurate.  I think a great deal of swamping a bow is more relative to the driver than the boat itself, particularly with the newer botas with greater freeboard.  Boats of 10-12 years ago are a totally different story.  I've seen friends swamp their pickle fork MC's several times, just as I've seen myself do it on my 22VLX, or others in 23LSV's.      

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Slayer said:

You're going to get a lot of responses to this inquiry and if at all possible, you should demo each or find people in your area that own some and get in them, ride them, etc. and make the most informed decision you can.  I've been in and behind a 25 LSV, I own a 23 LSV and I've been in and behind a 24 MXZ.  All are great boats and all do some things better than the others.  While we would have loved a 25, it isn't the greatest choice for our home lake and would have required me to add to the budget for a new hoist canopy frame and fabric.  Same with the 24 MXZ.  We liked the surf wave on the 24 quite a bit, but there are other things we didn't care for as much.  Rough water ride on the 24 is not as good as the 25 for one.  I also feel like our 23 handles chop a little better than the 24MXZ.  Others may disagree, but that was my experience.  We settled on the 23LSV because we prefer a more traditional bow boat, it fits our home lake well, and didn't require additional expenditure for our hoist.

We're shopping again now as well for a 2022, so all the same issues are coming up again and we're demoing several boats as well as other manufacturers, primarily due to the experience we've had with our dealer.  That said, be sure that whatever dealer you're working with will be supportive and will properly receive, inspect, and deliver your boat.  They should have a discerning eye and communicate to you what deficiencies have been found and how they'll correct them rather than you taking the boat home to find deficiencies.  You will find them, they will be there, but the dealer should find them for you and address them with you prior to delivery to allow you to decide how to move forward, meaning either address them prior to delivery, or address them at a later date.  You should be able to make that call.  Speaking from experience, the excitement of ordering one of these things and waiting for it to arrive only to find it full of problems that your dealer didn't address with you, completely diminishes the excitement of ordering and receiving your new boat.

I'm sure someone will argue both sides of this statement, but I'm not so sure this is 100% accurate.  I think a great deal of swamping a bow is more relative to the driver than the boat itself, particularly with the newer botas with greater freeboard.  Boats of 10-12 years ago are a totally different story.  I've seen friends swamp their pickle fork MC's several times, just as I've seen myself do it on my 22VLX, or others in 23LSV's.      

We have the same issue with the boat lift.  Shortage on those right now, so if we go with 25LSV we will need to wait up to 6months for a lift to be installed, and have to trailer it for the rest of the summer/fall.

Love our boat.  Awesome in so many ways.  Two biggest issues for us, as we are on a very big lake, too: 1) swamping the bow & 2) rough water ride quality.  You can certainly adjust your drive method to help with both - especially the rough water ride.  But, just some food for thought if you can swing the new 25.

Didn't read the thread...I own a 21 23 MXZ....love everything about it except its not a 24 MXZ.  If you can tow it (my handicap) buy the 24 MXZ.....

2 hours ago, 4mc said:

I am considering all three options.  However, the real question is 23' vs 25 based on what do I really need and is swamping bow really that big of a problem with 23 MXZ?

Ok, now reading the thread.....I do not....I refined my technique on pickups/turnarounds, BUT.....my wife and anybody else, takes water over the bow way more than I'd like......(23 MXZ)

3 hours ago, 4mc said:

The 23 will be a LOT bigger than the Yamaha.  This came up in another thread.  The layout of the V-Drives is MUCH more spacious than typical I/O, even the Yamahas.  My 22 VLX is rated for 14 passengers, compared to just 12 for your 242.  So from that perspective, if room is an issue, don't feel like you need the bigger boat.

From my experience, if one is attentive enough (and able, of course) to the bigger waves, they can position the boat, including with the throttle, to prevent being swamped.  If they aren't, they can still get swamped.  Obviously, and overly weighted front will be one factor, but proper piloting of the boat is the biggest factor.

I personally prefer the traditional bow layout, as the helm is further forward, giving more room in the main area.  I also don't let my kids sit in the bow facing rearward, so that may affect me (i.e. eliminates benefit of picklefork bow), but not you.

17 minutes ago, 67King said:

From my experience, if one is attentive enough (and able, of course) to the bigger waves, they can position the boat, including with the throttle, to prevent being swamped.  If they aren't, they can still get swamped.  Obviously, and overly weighted front will be one factor, but proper piloting of the boat is the biggest factor.

I agree with this.  It can be avoided ~80% of the time.  It sure is irritating the last 20%...

3 hours ago, 4mc said:

What options will we regret if we miss adding at build?

My options to never go without, specifically ones that are tougher or more expensive to install aftermarket, are the power seat, flip-down swim step and heater, as well as stereo. Others may say the wake-view bench too. PTM clamping racks and back-up camera are also must haves for me but are easier to add afterwards.

I'm probably moving up to the 25 LSV next year, just for the better wave. My ideal crew is still 4, regardless of boat size. 

5 hours ago, 67King said:

Heck 

I was out in a 1970 16’ runabout with a 100 hp outboard on it this weekend, rolling through the waves of my buddies 24MXZ while they surfed. Then a G23 surfed by. Neither one were a big deal. 

My must haves: M6, flip down swim step, heaters, power seat, rear camera, transom radio remote is worth the couple hundred bucks, bimini with surf board storage, soft grip flooring and non skid deck trac.

Trailer with extra tire, transom step, bow strap, and transom tie-downs.  

Edited by Sixer

I have owned a 08 23 LSV, a 2020 23 MXZ and now a 2021 25 LSV.  Although I loved the bow in the MXZ that entire line site lower on the water at the bow than the LSV line.  The pickle forks offer tons of room up front but hit larger waves like a Mac truck driving through a wall.  

I hated the 23 MXZ so much I sold it after one season and went 25 LSV.  We are currently in Lake Tahoe where the water can get very rough and I am extremely happy with the difference in ride quality.  I put the LT4 in and it is amazing up here at altitude.  May not be as much of a necessity in Texas at lower elevation.  I can’t speak to the 24 MXZ, never been on one and I know a few guys on here that went from 25 LSV to 24 MXZ and love it.
the 2022 LSV will have 4” more freeboard than I have.  My vote is get the 2022 25 LSV if you can swing it.  If you do a test ride make sure it is on a day with rough water so you know what you are getting in to. My 23 MXZ was great when the water was smooth but still dipped the nose easier than any boat I have ever been in.  It needs a hull redesign in my humble opinion. 

good luck with your choice! 

• Like 2

Thanks to all.  Going with the 25 LSV.  Now just deciding on options, unless I find one already set up by dealer that I am happy with that some else passed on.  Anyone already order theirs?

Ordered our 25 LSV in May and Spray date 7/27/2021…… tomorrow. Just sold 2019 25 LSV and loved it for 270+ hours. Our primary factor to upgrade was the walk over transom. Prefer the traditional bow but wanted the walkover to keep the dog off the upholstery. 

Must haves…stern turn, transom lounge seats, heater and heated captain seat to surf year round in Texas, flip down swim step (also great for dog).

here is a link I found that had the most interior pics of the new 25 LSV that I have seen. (Not our build)

https://www.inlandboatcompany.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=10800912&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 4mc said:

Thanks to all.  Going with the 25 LSV.  Now just deciding on options, unless I find one already set up by dealer that I am happy with that some else passed on.  Anyone already order theirs?

This is a good decision.  I've owned three 25 LSV's and decided to try the 24 MXZ this season... out of 10 prior Malibus this boat is my least favorite.  Needless to say, I will be back in a 25 LSV next year.  The reasons are too long to list, and it's kind of irrelevant now since you already picked a side.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ZephyrBlueBu said:

Must haves…stern turn, transom lounge seats, heater and heated captain seat to surf year round in Texas, flip down swim step (also great for dog).

If you surf year round, I recommend adding the shower as well. I looked into adding one on my 19 25LSV. I decided I could fill a lot of ice chests with warm water for what it was going to take to add a shower. 

• Like 2

Anyone know the vase price on the 2022 25 LSV, before any add ons.  Trying to figure out costs of current model for negotiation purposes and understanding what kind of deal I will be offered?  Anyone willing to email me build cost spec sheet?

10 hours ago, IXFE said:

This is a good decision.  I've owned three 25 LSV's and decided to try the 24 MXZ this season... out of 10 prior Malibus this boat is my least favorite.  Needless to say, I will be back in a 25 LSV next year.  The reasons are too long to list, and it's kind of irrelevant now since you already picked a side.  

That's a teaser!  I'm interested to hear your list @IXFE!

• Like 2

own a 25 lsv and can swamp the bow if i want. avoidable pretty much all the time. they dont make them like they used to. my old lsv was a dunking machine the bow sat pretty low in the water, the new one not so much  not a big deal  youll learn.

8 hours ago, 4mc said:

Anyone know the vase price on the 2022 25 LSV, before any add ons.  Trying to figure out costs of current model for negotiation purposes and understanding what kind of deal I will be offered?  Anyone willing to email me build cost spec sheet?

I believe the base price went up over 10% from the 2021 to 2022 from what my dealer told me and I believe it was closer to 12%

• Sad 1