Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is it toast?

2008 Malibu 23LSV with a long block that was installed little over a year ago is dead. Went out to lake everything was working find boat ran good. Got ready to ski and while driving engine made weird whine noise and revved down so I put it in neutral and shut it off the display said engine fault. Went to crank it back on and just cranked and turned over but didn’t fire up. Waited little but attempted again and then it was just click nothing turning over. 2 new batteries and even new starter and nothing just click. Is motor toast?

9 hours ago, Eddy said:

2008 Malibu 23LSV with a long block that was installed little over a year ago is dead. Went out to lake everything was working find boat ran good. Got ready to ski and while driving engine made weird whine noise and revved down so I put it in neutral and shut it off the display said engine fault. Went to crank it back on and just cranked and turned over but didn’t fire up. Waited little but attempted again and then it was just click nothing turning over. 2 new batteries and even new starter and nothing just click. Is motor toast?

The motor may or may not be toast, but we need a lot more information to help you.  Start with which engine you have and exactly what the display said.  A fault code would help tremendously.

23 minutes ago, justgary said:

The motor may or may not be toast, but we need a lot more information to help you.  Start with which engine you have and exactly what the display said.  A fault code would help tremendously.

It’s monsoon 340 that was replaced last year. All it said was Engine fault then went away only codes on the display is emission code which has been on forever since the sensors are apparently funky on these. It did give me a cylinder misfire when I first took it out this season so I changed plugs and seemed to be running fine. Is there any way to be able to turn these motors to make sure it’s not locked up 

20 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

Have you tried pulling the spark plugs to see it it is hydro locked?

If it were hydrolocked, he wouldn't get a crank but no fire condition.  The engine would be "locked," and would not crank.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

If it were hydrolocked, he wouldn't get a crank but no fire condition.  The engine would be "locked," and would not crank.

But he's asking how to see if it is locked up.

2 hours ago, Eddy said:

Is there any way to be able to turn these motors to make sure it’s not locked up 

Either use a wrench on the front crank bolt or remove the plugs and try the starter like @BearCreekBum said.

While you have the plugs out, do a compression and leakdown test (assuming the starter will turn the engine).

6 minutes ago, justgary said:

But he also said this: "Went to crank it back on and just cranked and turned over but didn’t fire up."

2 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Why did you replace the starter ? And that was done recently?

Thought it was maybe a starter since all it did was click after few times of attempting to fire it back up 

2 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

Have you tried pulling the spark plugs to see it it is hydro locked?

I have not my neighbor just told me about that. He said it sounds like it is Bc as soon as it happened the motor turned when cranking it. But after a few times of cranking not firing up it stopped cranking and would just click and not turn motor over anymore 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

It only did the crank and no fire for 4 attempts afterwards it did not turn over anymore and all you hear is the starter engage is all no turning over 

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Either use a wrench on the front crank bolt or remove the plugs and try the starter like @BearCreekBum said.

While you have the plugs out, do a compression and leakdown test (assuming the starter will turn the engine).

I plan on removing spark plus any tips on how to get wrench or drive on there to try to spin the motor 

Check fuel pressure. If you don't have a pressure gauges try just pushing the shredder valve to see if you have pressure in the fuel rail.  Could be the fuel pump gave up. The pumps wind before failing .  Quick easy check. Also pull the bolts one at  a time if dirty you may not have a good ground on the starer.

56 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Check fuel pressure. If you don't have a pressure gauges try just pushing the shredder valve to see if you have pressure in the fuel rail.  Could be the fuel pump gave up. The pumps wind before failing .  Quick easy check. Also pull the bolts one at  a time if dirty you may not have a good ground on the starer.

Would it cause it to not turn over though? The motor will not turn over now it did first couple try’s after shutting it off. Now it will not turn over at all. All the starter does is click and that’s it 

2 hours ago, Eddy said:

I plan on removing spark plus any tips on how to get wrench or drive on there to try to spin the motor 

With the plugs out a functioning engine will spin over easily.  you can use a socket wrench on a bolt on the main pulley to turn the engine over,  or you could turn it over easily enough by hand.   If it won't easily turn over or turn backwards with the plugs out, you have suffered a more serious block related mechanical problem.   If it turns over easily, then look for an electrical problem with the starter or a problem with the starter.  

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Eddy said:

Would it cause it to not turn over though? The motor will not turn over now it did first couple try’s after shutting it off. Now it will not turn over at all. All the starter does is click and that’s it 

No. But if is the starter is the issue now. As said its simple to see if the engine is free.

2 hours ago, Eddy said:

It only did the crank and no fire for 4 attempts afterwards it did not turn over anymore and all you hear is the starter engage is all no turning over 

Does this mean you turned and held the key four separate times and the starter cranked but the engine wouldn't fire, or does it mean that the engine turned four revolutions with the starter and then stopped?

+1 on charging the battery, sounds like you drained it attempting to start the engine.  While you are at it, clean all the terminals, make sure they are tight but don’t overtighten them.  Have the battery fully charged before you try again.  Another way to turn over the engine I’d with a large screwdriver in the flywheel timing hole.  I’m not a big fan of turning over the engine off the front crank bolt, have seen them get over torqued that way when plugs are still in.  Plugs out should not be a risk.

Edited by Woodski

On Indmar engines that I expect are hydrolocked or may have extensive internal damage I will remove the spark plugs and impeller, then use a deep 14mm 12 point socket and a long handle ratchet on the splined sea pump shaft to try to turn it over by hand.  If it turns by hand, but the starter will not crank, I will diagnose the starter circuit.  If the engine will not turn over by hand, I try again after removing the vdrive or transmission.  If it doesn't turn over after that, I start looking for a replacement engine long block.

20 hours ago, Bozboat said:

With the plugs out a functioning engine will spin over easily.  you can use a socket wrench on a bolt on the main pulley to turn the engine over,  or you could turn it over easily enough by hand.   If it won't easily turn over or turn backwards with the plugs out, you have suffered a more serious block related mechanical problem.   If it turns over easily, then look for an electrical problem with the starter or a problem with the starter.  

Fair enough so shouldn’t be to difficult to turn over once all the plus are pulled even if it’s hydrolocked 

19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Does this mean you turned and held the key four separate times and the starter cranked but the engine wouldn't fire, or does it mean that the engine turned four revolutions with the starter and then stopped?

Yes turned key 4 separate times and it cranked turned motor all 4 times then I stopped waited 3 min and tried to crank again and all it did was click the starter but did not turn motor over at all. Went and bought 2 brand new batteries and still same result so thought maybe starter went and got new one and nothing either. I even held starter in hand hooked up and it engaged and worked but would not turn motor over. 

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

Yes turned key 4 separate times and it cranked turned motor all 4 times then I stopped waited 3 min and tried to crank again and all it did was click the starter but did not turn motor over at all. Went and bought 2 brand new batteries and still same result so thought maybe starter went and got new one and nothing either. I even held starter in hand hooked up and it engaged and worked but would not turn motor over. 

OK yeah, diagnosing hydrolock is the logical next step.

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

The only reason I even suggested hydrolock is something similar happened to me.

When we first bought our lake house there was so much work to do that my Four Winns sat for almost 2 years without running. Finally get it ready and it cranks right up and runs for 30 seconds and then shuts down and then will not turn over. First thing I did was replace the starter and no change. When I pulled the #8 spark plug gas poured out of the hole and I took it to the shop to have the throttle body repaired. Can't remember exactly what the issue was.

I assume if it is hydrolocked as soon as you remove the correct spark plug the water will just pour out of the hole.

Pulling plugs and checking if engine turns over is easy. If the engine pulled down from hydro locking then the question starts to get much more involved. First why. Then what other damage might have been done. To bring a running engine down under hydro locking is very bad.  the new battery and charging is no help if poor connections at the starter or the starter has a poor ground. All the power to the starter need to be checked. Evin the cables. All cheep and easy. if the engine locked up well running or even pulled down that is a huge load on internal parts.