Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive clicking noise. 2011 LSV

I was hoping my first post about this boat wouldn’t be for an issue.  It’s a killer boat so far and a huge upgrade.    Picked up this last week and spent 3 days on the lake with it.   I’m coming from a DD so this is quite a bit different when it comes to slow speeds.   New to the Vdrive as well.    This little issue just came up.   The “clicking” sound is intermittent and only happens in forward at idle speed.  When it’s present it goes away with throttle up above about 1000 rpm.   I can’t always reproduce it and there is nothing else associated with it like power loss, vibration etc.     Did about a two hour lake test before purchase doing pretty much everything including maxed out surfing and didn’t hear it.   

Freind of mine had a similar noise, it turned out to be shaft alignment, as in the clicking noise was a crack in the shaft, before it totally failed. Worth checking it! Hope this helps.

Thanks.   I’ll be checking that when I get back home.   Ordered up a shaft just in case that’s it.  The sound does seem like it’s “external” and has a resonance which makes me think a shaft as well.   Also forgot to mention I heard a pop the other day making a turn under power while surfing heavy. Thought I may have hit something but it just didn’t have that muffled thud associated with hitting something that’s floating.  

I plan on pulling the shaft and doing a visual inspection.  I’m really hoping that’s what it is.     When I did a checkout of the boat the prop was hard to spin by hand so the engine alignment was top of my list.    

23 minutes ago, ROFF said:

I plan on pulling the shaft and doing a visual inspection.  I’m really hoping that’s what it is.     When I did a checkout of the boat the prop was hard to spin by hand so the engine alignment was top of my list.    

Seems like a ton of work for an inspection. Guess you can’t be to careful

I also noticed when I was adjusting the shaft packing that while in neutral, the shaft is still slightly spinning. Wondering if this is related?

Sorry to hijack, figured you got your answer!

If you're pulling the shaft, get rid of the shaft packing and put in a dripless.  I went through this ordeal a few years ago and moved to a dripless system, and replaced the shaft bearings to the newer style which seemed to smooth things out as well.  You'll be taking on more work than expected but know it's a good time to get it done while the shaft is out.  

I think my bilge pump turned on today with all of the sweat.  Holy hell. I should have my head checked.  

Figured out where the “clicking” sound came from.  Turns out the coupler was loose on the driveshaft.    The set screw had backed away and let the retaining  nut turn.    If I had to guess it was from the vibration of towing it 4 hours home.   Pulled the coupler to make sure the key was in tact then put it all back together (with thread lock) and checked the alignment.    A 5 hour lake test and all is OK.    Not quite as convenient to be fiddling with as a DD.   

Edited by ROFF