Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which prop for 2001 VLX Sunsetter for slalom and surfing

Smokedvw

So I've been trying to figure out which prop to run.

My plan is 750s in the rear lockers, 650 center 425 integrated bow and 370 passenger. Total is ~3000 lbs

The boat will be used for general slalom tubing, and surfing.  I wanted to know if this is the ideal prop or what others suggest. 

Right now I'm 50% slalom, 50 hydro foil... And our 3 year old is doing some tubing with me. 

Thank you 

I use a oj 905 for the same purpose as you on my 01 vlx. Oj recommend it back in 2015. I can run 30 to 32 at roughly 3400 to 3600 rpm for skiing. Also surf but just use wedge and passengers for ballast. No issues so far. Just don’t have anything to compare to. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just did speed test yesterday on mine. 30 mph was at 3150rpm. 32 was about 3350 and 36 was right about 3700 to 3800. I easily ran 40 mph at 4100 to 4300rpm. It will run faster but I didn’t go to wot so cannot say just how it shakes out today. If I were to prop it again, I would probably want just a tad lower pitch in order to pull the heavier ballast easier, but I don’t have any issues as it is. I just like fast acceleration but want fuel economy. I’d probably prop so that 32 mph were 34 to 3500 rpm since we only ski or slalom up to 32 mph. Might be different if we often ran at 36mph. 

On 8/8/2021 at 7:03 AM, williemon said:

I just did speed test yesterday on mine. 30 mph was at 3150rpm. 32 was about 3350 and 36 was right about 3700 to 3800. I easily ran 40 mph at 4100 to 4300rpm. It will run faster but I didn’t go to wot so cannot say just how it shakes out today. If I were to prop it again, I would probably want just a tad lower pitch in order to pull the heavier ballast easier, but I don’t have any issues as it is. I just like fast acceleration but want fuel economy. I’d probably prop so that 32 mph were 34 to 3500 rpm since we only ski or slalom up to 32 mph. Might be different if we often ran at 36mph. 

Yeah this is what I'm wondering though because we loaded the boat one day with the wedge down, 0 ballast and probably 6-7 adults 200lbs each = 1300 + 3 kids ~ 200lbs = 1500 lbs, my dad was driving but he said he had to go WOT with the stock prop and it was just getting to 10mph.  
Are you riding rope-less with just passengers? How many are in there and how much do you guys weigh?  That time I had it loaded was the only time I could do that.  My board is not super bouyant though 17L so that may change things too.

The ballast I plan to run will be close to double that.  I know one guy had mentioned from what I recall a year back about the same ballast with a 2079 prop but I cant find that anymore.  I have no idea if they skiied with it though.  I see on wakemakers it lists the 1235 which @GT54 just mentioned in that other thread he wanted to get his revs down for slalom.  GT54 have you tried a lot of weight in the boat and tried to surf it with that prop?  Maybe we can trade since mine does great currently for slalom / wake and wake foiling but wont be able to handle more ballast.

Kids can go rope less very well. They are roughly 120 and 150. I’m 170 and I can go rope less for a bit but it’s hard to do. We use the he wedge and often 4 to 8 passengers along with a home made suck gate. Wave can be high but it’s not long at all. We use a cwb tsunami board. If I used more ballast I’d have more of an idea. Easy However to hit 12 mph or 14 on surf if I’m not careful. We have had 10 passengers and still can surf and get to 11.5 easy with faster speeds possible.