Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunsetter LXI - vapor lock

Hi.. we have a 2002 Wakesetter.  When the engine gets hot (after a ski run or two), especially in hot weather, it will not restart. It just wheezes and coughs…. I only use fuel that does not contain ethanol and we always have our exhaust blower engaged. Our dealer has no clues either. Any help would be appreciated! 

Edited by Bclarke292

This sounds like a textbook case of vapor lock.  Loads of the threads here about it. I fought the same issue on my 2002 for 2 seasons before I finally bought the secondary pump and solved it for good.

18 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Loads of the threads here about it. 

15 minutes ago, Bclarke292 said:

I would love to find a solution!  I am not very technical however.. what do you mean by secondary pump?   

When you own an older boat, sage advice is to learn the search function. This won't be the last time you will need it.

This forum is a gold mine and the old timers here have bailed me out a bunch of times.

Appreciate the advice!  I am trying to find my way around this forum.  I apologize for asking (yet again) a question that has been asked before.. but sincerely appreciate the help. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bclarke292 said:

I would love to find a solution!  I am not very technical however.. what do you mean by secondary pump?   

Another fuel pump installed near the tank.  Low pressure is fine as long as it can deliver around 25 gallons per hour or so.  It should also be marine rated.

The best way to search here is to add "site:www.themalibucrew.com" to a regular Google search.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
MalibuNation

As others have mentioned use the search function.  Little magnifying glass in the upper right corner..  Searching:

Vapor lock

Brings up tons of articles including a recent one where a member is planning on moving the fuel pump off the block to the fuel tank.

16 hours ago, Bclarke292 said:

Appreciate the advice!  I am trying to find my way around this forum.  I apologize for asking (yet again) a question that has been asked before.. but sincerely appreciate the help. 

Check your PMs.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, formulaben said:

Check your PMs.

Hi.. thanks for reaching out.  I did text your cell but like I said I am not very mechanical. Handy yes.. but don’t know anything about engines. I would love to solve this … I am going to share all of this info with my dealer / mechanic.  I was also told to remove the cup holder in the back of the cowl to help air circulate.   That actually makes sense since it gets way to hot to be used for anything. 

I experienced this very issue this weekend.  Going to try some of the methods in previous threads before i go all out and order the secondary pump.  

• Like 1

I had the same issue with mine. After trying a few methods I ended up buying a second low pressure pump. The pumps on our boats don’t pull fuel well and after everything gets older, they don’t prime very well when hot. The second pump helped keep the main fuel pump primed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your insight and comments.  I sincerely appreciated the person outreach and conversation as well around this issue as I am truly learning.  So one last question ..  I have someone that can help with (actually do) this work this coming week as I am not mechanically inclined.  So if I go the "kit" route from Bake's (I know, more expensive vs time to shop the parts) does anyone have any idea of what needs to be modified in this kit for the 2002 Sunsetter with a Vortec engine?  Bake's said "The kit was designed for 2003+ Malibu with a puirburg pump but the kit can be used on older models with modification to the wiring harness/ect."  As my boat is located at least an hour away from any stores to buy parts I would like to plan ahead.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Bclarke292 said:

Thank you everyone for your insight and comments.  I sincerely appreciated the person outreach and conversation as well around this issue as I am truly learning.  So one last question ..  I have someone that can help with (actually do) this work this coming week as I am not mechanically inclined.  So if I go the "kit" route from Bake's (I know, more expensive vs time to shop the parts) does anyone have any idea of what needs to be modified in this kit for the 2002 Sunsetter with a Vortec engine?  Bake's said "The kit was designed for 2003+ Malibu with a puirburg pump but the kit can be used on older models with modification to the wiring harness/ect."  As my boat is located at least an hour away from any stores to buy parts I would like to plan ahead.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

call Bakes, they are helpful and would be able to tell you what you need.

• Like 1

@Boz I have reached out to them and received the generic response that I quoted in my post... still working on it with them to find out more information.

Edited by Bclarke292