Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 20 VTX not running

We have a 2018 20 VTX that ran fine when we first put in the water this summer.  The transom plug some how came loose and unbeknownst to us we took on quite a bit of water in the hull.  The auto bilge started running, we drove it back to the dock (engine running a bit rough/jumpy) and put it back on the trailer.  We drained all the water out and it sat in the drive way with both plugs out drying for a week.  We tried to use it the next weekend and it would try to start but would not.  It has now been at our local Malibu dealer/mechanic for 3 weeks.  The have replaced the crank, and the starter but the boat still will not run.  We are frustrated and looking for some trouble shooting ideas.

Side note: we are in a smaller area and only have one choice for certified malibu/inmar mechanic

Seems like if they have the proper tool - Diacom that they should be able to diagnose the issue.  Have they mentioned if it is throwing any codes?  Checked spark, fuel pressure?

I assume you mean that they replaced the crank position sensor - not the crank.

• Like 2

yes the sensor and they are using the diacom.  I believe they have checked spark, but they did not mention anything about fuel pressure. I will ask about that, thank you

martinarcher
1 hour ago, TCMalibuvtx said:

We have a 2018 20 VTX that ran fine when we first put in the water this summer.  The transom plug some how came loose and unbeknownst to us we took on quite a bit of water in the hull.  The auto bilge started running, we drove it back to the dock (engine running a bit rough/jumpy) and put it back on the trailer.  We drained all the water out and it sat in the drive way with both plugs out drying for a week.  We tried to use it the next weekend and it would try to start but would not.  It has now been at our local Malibu dealer/mechanic for 3 weeks.  The have replaced the crank, and the starter but the boat still will not run.  We are frustrated and looking for some trouble shooting ideas.

Side note: we are in a smaller area and only have one choice for certified malibu/inmar mechanic

They replaced the engine crankshaft?  Like they pulled the engine out of the boat and rebuilt the bottom end of the engine?  Was the engine submerged? 

• Like 2

The engine was not submerged and I believe it’s the crank sensor. To the best of my knowledge they have not taken the engine out . Thx

martinarcher

Gotcha, crank sensor makes more sense. 

When you say it tries to start, it must be cranking over but is it also showing signs of beginning to run (sputtering, kicking, coughing, etc) or is it simply cranking?  I'm guessing since it was involved in things getting wet it could be something electrical.  The people working on it should be able to pretty quickly diagnose if it has spark or fuel.  Depending which is missing will then determine the path of action.  If it's a fuel issue I would be curious about the fuel pump and pressure.  

I worked on a 2018 Malbu with a Raptor engine that would crank and start, then stall after about a minute and would only crank and not start after that.  The spark plugs were fouled with fuel and after they were replaced it would start, run for a minute, stall, then only crank again.  The RPM signal was normal and there was spark and proper fuel pressure, so it was very difficult to diagnose the problem.  When the engine did start I got a SPN 636 FMI 2 code just before it stalled.  Basically, the coil spark was happening at the wrong time.

After replacing the crank position sensor the engine started and ran normally again.  The sensor on the back of the engine block was very difficult to position correctly so I used a scope camera and a 36 inch flex cable pickup tool to install it (it took several tries to get it right).  It is very easy to install the crank position sensor incorrectly.

Indmar (or Ford) has different crank position sensors depending on the build date and reluctor wheel in the engine.  There is a "wide tooth" 35x version and a "fine tooth" 58x version.  It is very important to install the correct sensor.