Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Response LXI is very loud

My boat seems quite loud this year especially at slow speeds. I skied behind an 2020 Nautique recently and was marveling at how quiet it was.

Ours has certainly gotten louder over the years. I already soundproofed the engine hatch. The noise now all seems to be from the back. What could have worn out/gone wrong to make the volume go up so much?

What should I consider in terms repairs or of modding the existing muffler. (We have the flaps in the back--not tips.)

Thanks in advance for the experience on this.

When I first bought my boat it was very loud. Turned out the transmission cooler inlet was blocked with the remains of a previous impeller that had shredded. Water is the main way the exhaust is muffled and the restriction of flow that the blockage created caused the exhaust to be almost dry and made it very loud. Just a thought if you want to check for some type of debris at the trans cooler.

• Like 2

@jtormey - The increase in noise from your boat assuming no changes other than running time and no overheats to damage the mufflers is due to less water flowing through them.  Water is the primary 'muffler' as the fiberglass silencers act primarily as mixers with a couple of baffles in them.  Check your impeller, water strainer and as noted transmission cooler inlet.  Impeller even if looks good may simply be losing efficiency, strainer and cooler are debris traps.  That era RLXi with the straight silencers tend to be louder than the average ski boat setup.  Nautiques have a much more noise attenuating system, note it may only have one exhaust outlet.  The other very quiet setup is using a Silent Rider muffler.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:56 PM, drh said:

When I first bought my boat it was very loud. Turned out the transmission cooler inlet was blocked with the remains of a previous impeller that had shredded. Water is the main way the exhaust is muffled and the restriction of flow that the blockage created caused the exhaust to be almost dry and made it very loud. Just a thought if you want to check for some type of debris at the trans cooler.

Ah. Good idea. Thanks. Where is the transmission cooler inlet located?

On 7/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Woodski said:

@jtormey - The increase in noise from your boat assuming no changes other than running time and no overheats to damage the mufflers is due to less water flowing through them.  Water is the primary 'muffler' as the fiberglass silencers act primarily as mixers with a couple of baffles in them.  Check your impeller, water strainer and as noted transmission cooler inlet.  Impeller even if looks good may simply be losing efficiency, strainer and cooler are debris traps.  That era RLXi with the straight silencers tend to be louder than the average ski boat setup.  Nautiques have a much more noise attenuating system, note it may only have one exhaust outlet.  The other very quiet setup is using a Silent Rider muffler.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Where is the water strainer located? Is the Silent Rider muffler upgrade pretty straightforward? 

3 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

This little guy.

B97CB2C4-54A5-4E39-8250-C23BBECA6510

Nice. (And thanks for the visual aid.) I can check that in the water right? I did have an impeller shred the season before last, so this may well be the culprit. Thanks again.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:02 AM, braindamage said:

Welcome to the ‘crew!

a couple options: install or replace your mufflers or easy inexpensive turndowns

@UWSkier

Thanks. Will check all of that out. The turndowns don't mess with the wake do they?

1 minute ago, jtormey said:

Nice. (And thanks for the visual aid.) I can check that in the water right? I did have an impeller shred the season before last, so this may well be the culprit. Thanks again.

I don't think it would be a good idea to check on the water. It's on the other side of the impeller... but I bet there would be a good amount of water that would want to come through. 

1 hour ago, jtormey said:

Thanks. Will check all of that out. The turndowns don't mess with the wake do they?

They won’t as long as you cut them down. I have mine cut approximately 3/4” above the bottom line of the hull. @uwskier has his cut 3/8”

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I don't think it would be a good idea to check on the water. It's on the other side of the impeller... but I bet there would be a good amount of water that would want to come through. 

It's above the water line though so you should be ok to check on the water. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, drh said:

It's above the water line though so you should be ok to check on the water. 

Correct.  If you're concerned, close the raw water intake valve prior to checking, then open it again after you've seated the hose back in place.  I've checked mine on the water before and that's what I've done.  

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

Correct.  If you're concerned, close the raw water intake valve prior to checking, then open it again after you've seated the hose back in place.  I've checked mine on the water before and that's what I've done.  

Tape your key to the valve to remind you to re-open it.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, electricjohn said:

Tape your key to the valve to remind you to re-open it.

Do the 2003's have a valve on the inlet? What year did they start putting those on? My 98 and dad's 02 XTi do not. :blush:

3 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Do the 2003's have a valve on the inlet? What year did they start putting those on? My 98 and dad's 02 XTi do not. :blush:

Mine does. Have never touched it.