Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 MXZ Setup

JRayle

Just got my first Malibu about 2 months ago. Having issues getting the port side wake setup.  I can get a nice clean, tall wake but can’t seem to get it to lengthen out like I can when someone surfs on the starboard side.  I feel like I’m surfing way too close to the boat.  I’ve got it setup at 100% port rear, 50-60% starboard rear and the mid & front bags full.  I’ve tried dropping the rear ballasts down to 50% port and anywhere from 10-40% starboard while keeping the mid/fronts full with no luck.  Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do aside from adding lead to the port and front?  I’m not against it just trying to see if there is an easier way to do it with factory settings.  Thanks!

I fill all ballasts 100% full and use the wedge to lengthen it. If I have extra weight, I will put people weight in the bow. Surfs just fine  that way. 

I don’t use lead and never will.

Thanks for the replies so far.  I’ve experimented with every speed between 10.5 & 11.5 and the wedge between 1-3.  It’s a nice clean wake, just short..  I’m hopefully heading out this afternoon again..

22 minutes ago, JRayle said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  I’ve experimented with every speed between 10.5 & 11.5 and the wedge between 1-3.  It’s a nice clean wake, just short..  I’m hopefully heading out this afternoon again..

Only way to make a short steep wave long is to add bow weight and increase speed. Put the wedge in lift mode and see if that makes your wave longer. My settings are 100% full ballast, wedge at 3, my kids in the bow and speed is about 11.3 11.5. The wave on the 23 MXZ is very good. I can ride ropeless with a huge wake for ever with just those settings and 4 people. 

Edited by dwc032
ahopkins22LSV

What is your water depth? Typically need at least 12’ with 15’+ being ideal.

Typically when I get in a new boat I start at 10.8mph, 100% full ballast and wedge two spots up from lift and tweak from there. Some boys like up to 11.2mph some of the smaller boats like down to about 10.6. I’d guess you’d be in the 10.8-11.2 range. Draining a bit of the starboard ballast also normally helps but you don’t want to drain too much because then the boat will list too much. 

• Like 2

I'm running a 21 23 MXZ as well, and I'm a big guy (6'5"/230) and right port side.....I've gotten pretty good/long wake one that side by having all the kids in the bow, make every one sit on that side, 100%, and wedge about 3-4......If I could just get my wife to drive in a straight line.....:cry:

• Haha 2
  • 1 year later...

I'm running full ballast (with 580lb PNP bags), speed 11.1, wedge 3, for a decent left (port) side wake.  I'm thinking about adding 200lbs of lead to the rear left since I'm constantly telling someone to move over there.  My right (starboard) side wake is insane even with my wedge on lift, I wish someone would convince the Malibu engineers to spin the prop the other way.