Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Taking on water

Hello crew,

working out the kinks on the boat. Saw this today when we took it out of the water. Previous owner said they wiped out the strut rudder and prop. Had it repaired professionally...

boat had been out of the water for an hour at this time and looks like it’s coming from the rudder box  

suggestions?

6EDE9321-89C5-4FC2-854C-078AF00F1437.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

suggestions?

The leaking screw looks loose to me compared to the other two I can see.  They apparently used plenty of 5200 sealant when they put it on; you can see where it ran down the metal part.

I would start by inspecting the inside part to make sure you don't see anything funky going on, then maybe remove that one screw and try getting some 5200 inside the hole and under the inside fastener when you put it back in.  If that doesn't do it, you'll need to pull the rudder box to see what is really going on.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, justgary said:

The leaking screw looks loose to me compared to the other two I can see.  They apparently used plenty of 5200 sealant when they put it on; you can see where it ran down the metal part.

I would start by inspecting the inside part to make sure you don't see anything funky going on, then maybe remove that one screw and try getting some 5200 inside the hole and under the inside fastener when you put it back in.  If that doesn't do it, you'll need to pull the rudder box to see what is really going on.

Nothing funky going on the inside. All looks good with some sealant gooped on the inside as well. Steering is a little tight but I attributed that to needing to replace the steering cable. 

lots of jimmy rigged stuff in this boat I’m having to clean up and fix. Wiring etc. they replumbed the bulge pump to help fill the ballast bag but disconnected the bag so the bulge drains right back into.... the bilge.... 

work in progress but got kicked out of the lake house thanks to the tamarack fire. Hopefully the boat is still nice and not crispy when I’m allowed back. 

Edited by ThinBuLine