Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wave safety, handling others waves

MNNewb

With the ever increasing arms race in size of boats and surf waves I'm wondering the best technique for handling them.  Here's the background:

With my boat now being  little older the bow is not that far above the water and less when weighted down for surfing.   When not moving or at idle if the bow was pointed into the waves here comes the chilly dip.  So I've been taking other's surf waves broadside.  Worked great.  Now this year we've take a few waves that are starting to scare me.  They are very very near coming over the side.  While we may get wet what does it take to swamp one of these boats?  Is there a better way to manage other's waves?  I know in a small aluminum boat, 14ft, or especially a canoe as soon as water comes over the side it's game over.

My parents have a TXi and we usually head to the same areas to do watersports.  When we're surfing, I try to stay 100'+ away from them and they always point the rear of the boat towards us as that is the only way to keep water out of the boat.  

I wouldn't keep broad siding. Accelerate the bow to turn the dip into a splash. I'd strongly consider not weighing your bow as much that not moving is hazardous.

• Like 3

My Response isn't ballasted at all other than a 50 lb bag.  If a surf boat comes by and I'm parked, I need to start up and reposition my boat to take the waves or I'm getting swamped if they're coming straight on.  Taking them straight astern is a no-go also.  I don't get as much in the boat that way, but I get really wet.

it always seems that the sideways wave is coming over but it doesn't (my own surf wave), i put our stern to other peoples as well and its never a problem , i make the surfer wait, if its safe, roll with the wakes and then go get them 

6 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

it always seems that the sideways wave is coming over but it doesn't (my own surf wave), i put our stern to other peoples as well and its never a problem , i make the surfer wait, if its safe, roll with the wakes and then go get them 

Yeah, that's where I've been that it seems like it will come over but then doesn't.  I'm seeing the waves get closer and closer each year.   Haven't done much putting my stern into them, will try that.

12 hours ago, smileysteve said:

I wouldn't keep broad siding. Accelerate the bow to turn the dip into a splash. I'd strongly consider not weighing your bow as much that not moving is hazardous.

This isn't a bow weight thing.  I can take water over the bow with zero ballast and no one sitting in the bow given what the other boats are sending for waves.  Of course with 150# tank and one person it's much easier.  At least when it's weighted there is an active driver vs just floating listening to tunes.

"Family Rescued from capsized boat During storm on Bear Lake Idaho."

KSL News Utah, Has the report 

Just Google it. I was unable to down load the link. sorry

11 Kids and three Adults in a 2021 Malibu.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:58 AM, MNNewb said:

Yeah, that's where I've been that it seems like it will come over but then doesn't.  I'm seeing the waves get closer and closer each year.   Haven't done much putting my stern into them, will try that.

This isn't a bow weight thing.  I can take water over the bow with zero ballast and no one sitting in the bow given what the other boats are sending for waves.  Of course with 150# tank and one person it's much easier.  At least when it's weighted there is an active driver vs just floating listening to tunes.

See thread above

3 hours ago, Rack said:

"Family Rescued from capsized boat During storm on Bear Lake Idaho."

KSL News Utah, Has the report 

Just Google it. I was unable to down load the link. sorry

11 Kids and three Adults in a 2021 Malibu.

what does a bad weather incident to do with this thread, yes glad they are alright but def not not on point.  my local lake which is one of the biggest in the country is relatively shallow and wave intervals therefore are short .  we stay way from it unless conditions are perfect with my low bow, 200 lead or no lead !

my wife begged for one last cast once too often one day and i didn't leave when it was 2 inch ripples in my low bow fish and ski  , but solid ripples which meant bad was coming, 1.5 hours latter on what should have been 20 min or less and we learned our lesson 

wake boat only makes low wind beautiful day appearances

this post was what about other peoples wakes when not paying attention parked or while surfing or watersports, not sudden bad weather 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:00 PM, MNNewb said:

While we may get wet what does it take to swamp one of these boats?

This was to answer the OP question of what it would take to swamp a Malibu regardless of the origin of the wake/wave.

• Like 1

All these surf boats have dipped bows for visibility but makes them horrible for handling waves and rollers, especially when filled with bow weight.. 

Rumor has it the 27lsv has increased bow height!

8 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

All these surf boats have dipped bows for visibility but makes them horrible for handling waves and rollers, especially when filled with bow weight.. 

With a camera so you can look down on the little people, and a screen that you can see while the driver's seat is swiveled backwards while el capitan is turned around watching his surfer

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

With a camera so you can look down on the little people, and a screen that you can see while the driver's seat is swiveled backwards while el capitan is turned around watching his surfer

It's no prob, the 27 has HUD  collision, w audio alarm, it's 2022 so they're incorporating 10-year-old automotive technology now

On 7/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, granddaddy55 said:

what does a bad weather incident to do with this thread, yes glad they are alright but def not not on point.  my local lake which is one of the biggest in the country is relatively shallow and wave intervals therefore are short .  we stay way from it unless conditions are perfect with my low bow, 200 lead or no lead !

my wife begged for one last cast once too often one day and i didn't leave when it was 2 inch ripples in my low bow fish and ski  , but solid ripples which meant bad was coming, 1.5 hours latter on what should have been 20 min or less and we learned our lesson 

wake boat only makes low wind beautiful day appearances

this post was what about other peoples wakes when not paying attention parked or while surfing or watersports, not sudden bad weather 

this storm was also a once a year type storm,  it was a very bad storm. wide open lake with huge storm waves can get crazy. and they had waves coming in every angle

On 7/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, The Hulk said:

OMG:love:  @The Hulk  I read that whole thread you started on a 27.  Didn't comment there but all I could think is when is enough enough for size.  That was a bit of forum craziness going around.  In that context it was a fun read.  While one would sell a few units personally I hope it isn't made.  

More specifically the two times this year that caused me concern were off two boats in particular.  One was some large picklefork Mastercraft that I'm guessing is a newer x26.  The second is a 2021 Supra SL and happens to be one of my neighbors.   Since then he's added 800# of lead and says the wave is amazing.  Not sure how amazing it will be if we're playing in the same area.  Typically he turns south and I go north at a fork in the road.