Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Install

Headhunter 2317

Just got off the phone with Malibu here in Atlanta. They won't install the Titan Tower that I bought from Wakeside. That sucks.

That's not how to make friends now, is it? These dealers should remember that inboard owners trade for new boats every 3 years on average.

Yep I did my last one with the help of 2 friends. All they needed to do is pick it up and put the tower in place. Then I started to marking and drilling. It only took me like 1.5hrs. I know thats slow but I wanted to do it right the first time.

RiverRunner Posted Today, 02:06 PM

It is easy, do it yourself and save the money for other toys

And be sure to provide step by step details for fellow Crew members that may be undertaking this project soon. Biggrin.gif

I installed my Titan, really wasn't too bad. Other than taking 325 hours to measure it 7936 times, the install didn't take too long. Do a search on WSR for my name and Titan install - I wrote up the procedure.

Now that monster towers are more expensive than the Titan, is the Titan a better buy? I hear that monster towers are easier to install? Do the Titans fold down as easily and as compact as the monster tower??

thanks for the insight!

I don't know about the Titan tower, but we installed a Monster on our 99 sportster. It was easy to install. Just measure, measure, measure, and measure, mark and drill. It really wasn't hard. It folds down enough to get it in the garage and/or cover on if need be.

are they not installing it because you didn't buy it from them?

That's exactly why they won't install it. That seems silly. I know bike shops that have the same policy. The smart ones have their "set" labor rates but discount the labor heavily if you bought the item from them.

The Titan install is fairly simple....measure, measure, measure, mark it, unibit it, secure...done. I installed mine with the help of 2 Thumbs this past winter, was a good project.

Just got off the phone with Malibu here in Atlanta.  They won't install the Titan Tower that I bought from Wakeside.  That sucks.

Don't fret man - its your birthday!!!

Many haps on the milestone achievement. It gets better, only takes longer!

That's what I'm going to do. Wakeside said that there were excellent instructions with the tower. I'm pretty handy so if I measure 250 times or so, it should go without a hitch. I'm gonna need the money for the new bimini.....

My dealer would have installed it, but it wouldn't have been covered under warranty.

See, it's a little more complicated than 'didn't buy it from me so no go.' My dealer here in town isn't on the 'most favored' list of Titan. As a matter of fact, if my dealer would have agreed to instal the Titan they it would have voided the Titan warranty(Titan really doesn't like my dealer) AND the hull warranty on my boat - since they weren't 'authorized' by Titan.

So, I was pleased when they said they weren't going to instal it, but the factory was :)

(Titan really doesn't like my dealer)

Actually, its just the opposite. Largest Malibu dealer + poor customer service from tower company = we only order Illusions now. At least that is what I heard from the VP of Cope and UWS.

Here was my reply from your other thread......

I bit the bullet and finally ordered my tower.  After hours of reading about them, I decided on the Titan I. Black of course.  I should have it in 4 weeks. 

The CFO is putting the pressure on to have Malibu do the install.  I could do it but the drilling into the gelcoat give me major bad visions.

Lets see, you ordered the tower from wakeside, but want the same Malibu dealer that was offering you both the Titan and Monster to install it.

Somebodies going to pay a little bit more $$ on the install Surprised.gif

:) Can't say I didn't tell you so.

I didn't want to pay the dealer an extra couple of hundred for the privelege of buying it from them. They could have made the easy money on my install and probably another couple of hundred from me while I was in the Proshop waiting to pick it up......

I hear ya, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Don't get me wrong, I shop for deals all the time, but sometimes you just have to get something from the dealer, like this. Down the road, that would have paid dividends. Now........

Good Luck on your install though. I'm sure Titan can give you any info you need.

Grab a six pack a person to help you set the tower on the boat and just do it, you will be glad you did, should not take more than a hour, two max. If I lived in the area I would come by this weekend and help you do it. Just remember drill in reverse until you get through the gel coat, cover the area where the mounts will be with blue painters tape, mark it, drill it, bolt it.

You shouldn't have any problems installing the tower on your own.

I installed my tower without help.....so having a buddy help you will make it a piece of cake. Honestly, the hardest part was chipping the pvc tube under the gunnels to mount the rear legs.....and I'm sure you already know to use a yardstick to move the wires out of the way while cutting the pvc.

Find a couple pictures of Sunsetters with Titans and check where the mounts are located for an idea of what to expect.

Grab a six pack a person to help you set the tower on the boat and just do it, you will be glad you did, should not take more than a hour, two max. If I lived in the area I would come by this weekend and help you do it. Just remember drill in reverse until you get through the gel coat, cover the area where the mounts will be with blue painters tape, mark it, drill it, bolt it.

I wouldn't start in on that six-pack until the job was done.

Get the Unibit, and you dont need to drill in reverse at all.

Joe,

It doesn't surprise me. Having known and been screwed by the guys at AI myself, they show absolutely no service unless you buy from them. I bought a used bu and then took it to them for everything, but they still treated me like a second rate citizen and always bumped me to the bottom of the list.

Thats fine, you don't want my business... I bought a new '05 and it wasn't from them (it could have been at the time, but luckily I moved out of their territory :)

No offense to Dave and Brian and all the other guys at AI (in case you read this), but if you had just shown me good service, I probably WOULD have bought my boat from you before I moved.... This is another example of that - you can still make money on the install (isn't that here the big margins are anyways?) why not just take care of it and make a good customer better?

(I'm not bitter, really)

JZ

I wouldn't start in on that six-pack until the job was done.

This is true, if you do not have the ability to drink a couple while drilling a few holes and tightening a few nuts and bolts then by all means what till the project is completed and then enjoy a cold one.

Get the Unibit, and you dont need to drill in reverse at all.

Why take a chance I have seen unibits chip gelcoat, personally I will drill in reverse and take my time before I will use a unibit but, hey that is just my preference.