Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Different prop coupler then other Malibu?

Hey guys,

Long story short I hit an unmarked rock in a lake at idle speed. I screwed up the prop, nicked the fins and rudder. I got a new prop and took the boat out for a test drive and something new happened hence the new thread.
While teaching my 5yr old how to wakesurf my wife reversed the boat and it suddenly went out of gear. I had my wife turn off the boat and checked the prop and it was butted up to the rudder because the shaft fell out of the coupler.

Problem is I don’t have much experience with this and everywhere I look everyone talks about a 4 bolt coupler but mine has 8 bolts and I can’t find it anywhere. Does anyone have a part number for this coupler and shaft? Also any input on a fix would be helpful…

2006 247 8.1

Thank guys,

Brannon

23FCBE5F-0C3B-4B90-8AF9-AB40EE14D544.thumb.jpeg.01fb34690e0e3e7ded9cc84ab58ffef2.jpeg

For anyone else who sees this post they are not making these for stock anymore. However Marine Hardware in Redmond Wa was the OEM on the shaft and coupler and will make you one to order if you measure it out for them. I will let you know how that process goes.

Thanks, Brannon

12 minutes ago, Brannon132 said:

For anyone else who sees this post they are not making these for stock anymore. However Marine Hardware in Redmond Wa was the OEM on the shaft and coupler and will make you one to order if you measure it out for them. I will let you know how that process goes.

Thanks, Brannon

It looks like just the nut backed off.  Are you sure you need a new coupler?

• Like 3

Here is a picture of the inside of the coupler, it looks like the nut rubbed a little before coming off. Does this look like damage that needs to be replaced?C0688215-593D-4EE9-9A20-194902D10393.thumb.jpeg.31d2c94ec5e43339ac61ba4ebc5ea5ff.jpeg

A765B9C6-6193-4E22-9E01-87A071AF0F61.jpeg

@Brannon132 - looks to me the coupler is usable.  What appears to be missing is the set screw that acts as a locking device for the coupler nut.  Make sure you get a new stainless steel or brass nyloc nut.  A key is the condition of the taper and using a stainless or brass key.  Unless your twisting well over 500 hp, 4 fasteners are adequate.

The set screw is clearly there.  It looks to me like the key sheared and allowed the shaft to back out of the nut.  A dab of blue locktite on the threads might help hold it better, but eventually the torque will overcome the fastener.

Clean the taper really well before you reassemble it, and consider lapping the two parts so they match.  The better the connection at the taper, the more torque it will take.

• Like 3

I put it all back together with a new key and a new nut with some locktite on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 3

Yes I found a sheared key still in the propeller shaft. I do have a question I have a shudder under my feet only when turning right do you guys have any idea of what can cause this?