Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Disappointed

alcoprop

So I have a 2021 MXZ and the color on the Malibu emblem rubbed off from pulling into my dock and the side of the boat rubbed a rubber rub rail. So for the tongue tie but that’s the best way to explain it lol. I’m assuming the emblems are just painted and not powder coated. I am a previous body man and know how to paint. Or just replace them with new? Any suggestions. I am just disappointed in how easy this rubbed off. It did not scratch or anything. 

7C134E73-EC1B-42D5-AAC3-AC75D73B7788.jpeg

872C28C3-FC22-49FC-90CF-9556C6B5E0B5.jpeg

4FB80216-CDCE-428A-8321-879C295F16D5.jpeg

That rubber on the dock looks a little rough.  I’d be using a fender.  Then replace the lettering.  Should be an easy fix. 

• Like 3

Maybe upgrade them to Domed letter type, so the same thing doesn't happen if you replace them. They should be able to match everything perfect. Should just be stuck on there right? Whatever you decide to do, get a pair of bumpers to go between your boat and the dock. 

2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Maybe upgrade them to Domed letter type, so the same thing doesn't happen if you replace them. They should be able to match everything perfect. Should just be stuck on there right? Whatever you decide to do, get a pair of bumpers to go between your boat and the dock. 

Love this idea! Thanks a lot 

27 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

Love this idea! Thanks a lot 

Domednumbers.com is great to work with. Also will give you a discount if you mention this site. 👍

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I think I would put in some vertical dock posts so that the rub rail can do what it is designed to do rather than rubbing the side of the boat on the dock.

x2, this is what we did.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:53 AM, oldjeep said:

I think I would put in some vertical dock posts so that the rub rail can do what it is designed to do rather than rubbing the side of the boat on the dock.

Vertical posts will enable you to offer great protection to your boat, hopefully, your dock can accommodate.  The round roller style bumpers were added to our slip this summer, they work very well.

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TaylorM said:

Vertical posts will enable you to offer great protection to your boat, hopefully, your dock can accommodate.  The round roller style bumpers were added to our slip this summer, they work very well.

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

where did you get those vertical rollers??  Love them!!

9 hours ago, chadwick02 said:

where did you get those vertical rollers??  Love them!!

I will get details on where to get them, tomorrow, when I'm back at the marina. They are available in yellow and larger diameter, as well.

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

On 7/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, granddaddy55 said:

oh my god the owner of a scratch free boat, never met one

I see it all the time in the sales ads.  It usually doesn't pan out to be true to the discriminating eye.  It might sound funny, but I often think that a boat with no marks just underwent a massive repair job before they went to sell it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, TallRedRider said:

I see it all the time in the sales ads.  It usually doesn't pan out to be true to the discriminating eye.  It might sound funny, but I often think that a boat with no marks just underwent a massive repair job before they went to sell it.  

it was the lecture i just couldn't stand, my axis logo was damaged early on,  you can see it spray water at slow speeds cause its lifted slightly, i always look over my shoulder when im draining tanks with bow rise to remind me , i was def not prepared for the level of care needed coming from my old fish and ski, ive got lots of marks int and exterior  but i will never sell this boat and wear them with pride!

On 7/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, UWSkier said:

Unless it's a complete accident, your emblems should never touch the dock, trailer, etc.  If you're a dock owner, it's on you to make sure your dock is configured to not harm your baby.  If you're pulling up to a different dock, it's on you to make sure you don't bump into stuff, or maybe have some decent fenders to protect your baby.

My dock is completely set up with dock protection and didn’t think I would need to worry about a rubber rub rail taking the paint off my emblem. This is a double slip dock so the rub rail is on the side walk platform of the lift next to me. I have about 8-10” on each side of me when pulling in. This particular day was heavy cross winds unfortunately and I had no clue I even rubbed it until I was wiping the boat down. Never felt a thing 

I've never understood why so many docks get set-up with horizontal-type bumpers/protection - they really only protect the dock, not a boat.  You need vertical bumpers/posts to make sure the rub rail is the only thing on the boat that can make contact and can still ride up and down in waves or changing water levels.  Bummer about the emblems though. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I think that's the whole point, it doesn't take much pressure to mark up a decal or even the gel coat, so those surfaces should not be in contact with anything.  I would definitely not want a rubber strip rubbing against my gel coat.  The rub rail that is on the boat is supposed to serve that purpose, and create distance between your gel coat/decals and the dock.  Just because they market it as a rub rail does not mean it is going to protect your boat, that's not a good set up.

This rub rail is on the lift next to my boat. It’s the walkway that is attached to the lift. You can see in the picture that the rub rails are almost touching which is my walkway attached to my lift and the other walk way. When I am pulling onto my lift this walk way is the height of my emblems. There is no way to attach anything else to it besides a rub rail unfortunately. And if I put a bumper out it will for sure hit that walk way as I’m pulling in and push me into the side of the dock. Loose loose situation I feel like. 

1 hour ago, alcoprop said:

This rub rail is on the lift next to my boat. It’s the walkway that is attached to the lift. You can see in the picture that the rub rails are almost touching which is my walkway attached to my lift and the other walk way. When I am pulling onto my lift this walk way is the height of my emblems. There is no way to attach anything else to it besides a rub rail unfortunately. And if I put a bumper out it will for sure hit that walk way as I’m pulling in and push me into the side of the dock. Loose loose situation I feel like. 

Oh, I understand now.  The guide bunks on my lift are carpeted, so when I make contact with them there is no abrasion.  Can you maybe wrap it with bunk carpet?