Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

USCGA Type II Life Jacket up to 50lbs

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

So I found out, ok I knew... I was just reminded by an (unsolicited) conversation yesterday that Michigan law (only state) requires children under the age of 6 to be in a type i or ii life jacket which are nearly impossible to find for over 30 pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did find a sterns on Amazon and ordered it, but who knows how it will be. None of the major brands make them from what I can find...

TIA!

ahopkins22LSV

Well, luckily it stayed as just a conversation. But the fine in Michigan is $100 per what I read online. But any boating violation here hits your driving record too. Not sure if that one would or not, but I'd be more concerned about that...

1st post on this forum since I made the change to Malibu.  We are in the same boat with <30 pounds.  I have see an O'brien kids vest that would meet the MI criteria.  Coldwater Lake Marina had some last year, but we hav not made it to see if they have any this year.  We are pressing our luck at this time.

Shoot, I just donated one that I would have shipped over to you. It was similar to the stearns pfd and rated up to 50 lbs. both my kids were in type iii after they outgrew the infant pfd. Never used the bigger type ii (kids hated it). Seems like a stupid law and can’t believe they actually called you out on it (assuming she was wearing a type iii). 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
53 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Shoot, I just donated one that I would have shipped over to you. It was similar to the stearns pfd and rated up to 50 lbs. both my kids were in type iii after they outgrew the infant pfd. Never used the bigger type ii (kids hated it). Seems like a stupid law and can’t believe they actually called you out on it (assuming she was wearing a type iii). 

She was, always is. Luckily she really doesn't care about them even the one we ended up borrowing for the rest of the day that looked terribly uncomfortable lol.. The sheriff was stern, but let me go even though he said they have been directed to stop giving warnings for this. After he stopped me I watched him stop at least 10 other boats for the same thing. A few jet skis too which I know he gave one a ticket.

I found this one, which looks quite comfy, but it is still rated as a type iii. Wondering if it would pass the eye test though. He didn't make me take the one off that we borrowed, just looked for the head support. https://www.rei.com/product/131862/stohlquist-child-pfd-kids

• 2 weeks later...

i've shared this before, but it was a long time ago; i'm going to repeat so i can sleep nights: don't trust any infant pfd w/o testing it first.

infant tail ends are made of something unimaginably buoyant.

it can be very difficult to control that bottom end in the chase to keep them right side up in the water.

ahopkins22LSV
56 minutes ago, tvano said:

i've shared this before, but it was a long time ago; i'm going to repeat so i can sleep nights: don't trust any infant pfd w/o testing it first.

infant tail ends are made of something unimaginably buoyant.

it can be very difficult to control that bottom end in the chase to keep them right side up in the water.

I agree on infant vests but Michigan law requires kids up to 6 to be in the type ii or iii vest. Fit is still important but not as worried as an infant. The mustang vest fits really really well and is very nicely made. She will be very comfortable in it.