Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Axis A22 - Auto Bilge

My bilge pump is not working automatically, but works when I hit the switch.  When manually activating the float with my hand, it still does not work.  This should be an easy thing to troubleshoot, as the bilge is supposed to have a constant 12v to it, and that may be disconnected somehow.  Only problem is that the wiring is buried below the motor, and I haven't had time to crawl down in there just yet to try to trace wires to see where I can get a meter on it.  I wondered if someone had a wiring diagram for a 2012 Axis A22, or any info that should help me understand at least how the auto-bilge is supposed to be wired.  Some idea on wire routing from battery out to the bilge pump and anything in between.. as well as wire colors and such would be helpful.

The connector plug going to the bilge pump has three wires, A-brown, B-black, and C-brown with red stripe.  The brown wire connects to the #3 position on the helm bilge switch to manually turn the pump on and off, the brown/red wire is connected to the #2 position of the helm bilge switch and is spliced to the orange/black wire from the bilge breaker to provide power to the switch and the auto bilge, and the black wire goes to the ground buss bar under the helm. 

The auto bilge will have power when the battery is connected and the bilge pump breaker is not tripped.  If there was a battery switch installed in the boat it must be turned on to provide power to the breakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks csleaver,

This helps.  The bilge breaker that you are referring to - where is this physically located on the 2012 A22?  I have seen a reference to a fuse that might be located by the batteries (that I did not see at first glance), and I know that there is a breaker panel below the throttle.. but don't remember seeing a breaker there for the auto-bilge.  My boat is about an hour away and I intend to chase this down this weekend, for now I am just trying to gather all info I can get before I go there this weekend to make my troubleshooting as quick as possible, so any info you can share would be appreciated.

I will have to find some photos of a 2012 Axis.  I might have some at work.  I think the breakers are on the starboard side panel near the throttle shift lever, but I will need to confirm that.

Update - I believe that my problem is resolved now (after hours of scratching my head).  Similar to what csleaver mentioned, (and per a wiring diagram that the dealership gave me) I was looking at the bilge pump rocker switch to find the brown/red wire that was supposed to be there attached to the orange/black wire on terminal #2.  There was no trace of a brown/red wire there at all.  And no trace of anyone cutting it away from the orange/black wire.  After just about giving up, I decided to climb all the way into the battery storage area, where (hidden behind the back battery) I found a brown/red wire with a fuse holder.  It had a blown 5A fuse in it.  After replacing the fuse, I now have power to the bilge area in the back of the boat.  Looking at the bilge pump, it looks like the previous owner spliced in a new bilge pump, but did not use waterproof butt splices.  With the splices being basically at "floor level", I suspect that water rushed over them and shorted it out.  I will be putting it back together with waterproof butt splices tonight, but at least the mystery is solved (for now).  Just not sure why the boat did not match the Wiring diagram.. but I noted it for future.  Thx for the help guys!

• Like 1

When a battery switch is installed in the boat an inline fuse is usually wired directly to the battery to provide power to the auto bilge when the switch is off.  That is how the newer boats with a factory installed battery switch are wired.

I see said the blind man!!!!!  Now that explains things, because this looks like it was wired this way from the factory (and just did not match the wiring diagram).  Thanks for the clarification, hopefully the rest of my wiring diagram is correct.

• 1 year later...
travishensley

2018 Axis T22. Bilge pump light comes on when I push the button. Nothing pumps out. I thought the pump was bad, so replaced it. Still the same thing. Light comes on from switch, pump does not kick on. Any ideas, and where to check? Do jot see a float near the pump. Thoughts?