Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 - 2019 with PCM 409 Monsoon vs. 2022 with M5Di Monsoon - big difference in perf?

TommyTuna

10 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Not apples to apples but went from a 2020 22 LSV/M5 to a 2021 23 MXZ/M6.  I felt like the 22 LSV/M5 was struggling at times.  We are mostly at 800 ish ft.   Not why we upgraded the boat but the M6 was a no brainer.  Easy for me to say but would agree that figuring a way to get the M6 would be a priority.  Don't see the hull weight on the web site for the "A" but if it is like the MXZ in the 23 ft the pickle fork it weights 620 pounds more with ballast than the LSV of the same length.  That takes more motor.

This is helpful.  I think the T220 and 22LSV should be a good comparison.  If the M5 struggled at times with the 22LSV I don't see it having an easier time with the new Axis.

I sincerely believe the 409 is better than the new M5. The M6 is a nice step up from the 409, but probably not a massive gamechanger the way it's sold. I heavily weight my boats and as such, would never buy a boat with an M5.

I've been in a 23 MXZ with an M5 and it was not able to get on plane wakeboarding with all ballast full (this boat had the larger size rear sacs). Ended up having to drain a decent amount of weight from the rear.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, rennis said:

Same boat.  Pun partially intended.

My gut says the T220 displaces a lot of water when it's loaded-up for surfing or wakeboarding and the M6 upgrade will pay for itself over time.  Maybe not in fuel savings, but in terms of never thinking about having enough power, the right prop, or the myriad other hand-wringing agonies the guys over on the Malibu side seem to have with the M5 in 23LSVs...

I have been thinking this myself in regards to the hull displacing a lot of water. I believe it's close to the M220 hull, and that boat is a tank. Even though we usually just run a 2 man crew, I feel like it could be annoying if its underpowered. And nobody knows yet because we have very little information on the boat.  *patiently waits for Axis to release 2022 offerings*

23 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Not apples to apples but went from a 2020 22 LSV/M5 to a 2021 23 MXZ/M6.  I felt like the 22 LSV/M5 was struggling at times.  We are mostly at 800 ish ft.   Not why we upgraded the boat but the M6 was a no brainer.  Easy for me to say but would agree that figuring a way to get the M6 would be a priority.  Don't see the hull weight on the web site for the "A" but if it is like the MXZ in the 23 ft the pickle fork it weights 620 pounds more with ballast than the LSV of the same length.  That takes more motor.

This is really helpful. My dealer said they have only put one or two M6's in A22's and didn't feel it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

12 hours ago, rennis said:

This is helpful.  I think the T220 and 22LSV should be a good comparison.  If the M5 struggled at times with the 22LSV I don't see it having an easier time with the new Axis.

Agreed.

I'm trying to get on the 'new boat every other year' program so i'm trying to determine how to maximize resale when I finalize my order. Not sure motor upgrades are a good upgrade for returns unless their is a clear consensus after these boats start getting delivered that the M5 is underpowered.  I know boats are bad investments, but trying to minimize my 'cost to upgrade the boat'.  I already pulled the 18" wheels off the trailer, and am thinking about ditching the PTM racks for the M6. Thoughts?

8 hours ago, StagNW said:

I know boats are bad investments, but trying to minimize my 'cost to upgrade the boat'.  I already pulled the 18" wheels off the trailer, and am thinking about ditching the PTM racks for the M6. Thoughts?

I already planned on doing the cheap wheels because I'd upgrade those to something I'd spend time choosing anyway.  If it was me I'd rather have more horsepower than clamping PTM racks if one had to be sacrificed for the other. My current boat has bungee racks and no one makes fun of me for being poor... You can always buy the bolt-on stuff later if you find you really need it.

I don't know which decision will help you the most in terms of resale though.  Educated buyer is going to value the engine upgrade far more.  Average joe probably gets a boner for the racks.  coin flip?