Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Selling private party. What’s the process?

ROFF

Hi all.  Decided to upgrade.   Selling my ride private party.   It’s been a while since I’ve done such a transaction and those were cash.  

What’s the latest and safest way to go about the transaction without cash?    

Will be turning around and buying (another BU) private party as well so I’m seller and buyer 

Thanks!

Others will speak up about meeting locations, payment terms, etc., but one thing I would do is write a Bill of Sale that lists everything you sold with HIN, trailer serial, etc.  I would also state that everything is "as is, where is, with absolutely no warranty implied or given."  Whether you leave the sale price blank for the seller to fill in (before he pays taxes and registration) is up to you.

As for the new one, a sticky thread here discusses what to look at on a used boat before you buy it.

Thanks.  Yea just looking for advise on transfer of funds really.  All other aspects I’m comfortable with.   Don’t really want to be dealing with that much cash unless I’m going to Vegas.  

When I sold my boat private party many years ago to an out-of-state buyer, I had the buyer get a cashiers check from his bank.  I then called his bank myself to verify that he had gotten the check and the 'numbers' on it and such.  It went fine.  I also didn't want to deal with that much cash.....didn't want to be in the parking lot verifying each bill with a counterfeit marker and really didn't want at least one other person in the world knowing I had that much cash on me until I could get to the bank. 

Tell you what I did earlier this year when I sold my 2016 23 LSV for ~$90k.  The buyer financed a major portion of the purchase price  I worked directly with the Bank who had a process for confidentially preparing for a wire transfer.  Buyer wanted to wait till after the boat demo to authorize the purchase which was fine.  While we were still on the water he called the bank who released the funds to us.  Less than 30 minutes the funds were in our account.  The balance was provided in a cashier check.  Confirmed the cashier check with the issuing bank.  All went smoothly.   

Good luck.