Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle issue - 1995 Echelon 454

Hello, Everyone.  Nice to find this site.

I have a 1995 Echelon with 454 Mag with what I suspect is a throttle issue. Engine is running smooth, and I can bump it into forward or reverse at idle speed.  But when I try to increase throttle, there is no response.  The throttle feels loose, no resistance.  Same result when I put it in neutral and try to throttle up - no response in RPM.   

How would I be able to tell the difference between a cable issue vs. throttle body issue?  Does anyone have links to manuals/diagrams or any advice on troubleshooting and getting parts?  I am somewhat confident to try this myself with this type of advice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve

Have someone look at the throttle while you move it, or just move it and check it your self.  The cable ends fail with age...could very well be that.  If the throttle butterfly isn't moving when commanded, then open up the throttle assembly and remove and inspect the cable ends.  They look fine even if damaged, as pictured below.  Cheap and easy fix.

https://skidim.com/connector-control-cable.html

2zf1qpu.jpg

56 minutes ago, WIBU said:

Thanks Formulaben.  Appreciate the pic, too.  Is that the throttle handle connection?

Yes.  Keep in mind that the cable could have broken.  Since you apparently have no movement at all, be sure to check that as well.  Hopefully you will just find the nut ends broken off (what @formulaben showed, only completely loose).  Replace both ends of both the shift and throttle cables while you are at it.  Try to count turns off and back on so you get the length close to the proper adjustment.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Yes.  Keep in mind that the cable could have broken.  Since you apparently have no movement at all, be sure to check that as well.  Hopefully you will just find the nut ends broken off (what @formulaben showed, only completely loose).  Replace both ends of both the shift and throttle cables while you are at it.  Try to count turns off and back on so you get the length close to the proper adjustment.

Great advice.  I’ll try these early tomorrow 

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Try to count turns off and back on so you get the length close to the proper adjustment.

Good call...if you don't get that right, you'll have to go back and adjust it to get the neutral safety switch "aligned" with the detent.  If for some reason it doesn't want to start after you swap out these cable ends, just move the shifter lever a bit to see if the starter engages and you'll know that's why and then the trans cable end will need to be adjusted a bit.

I pulled the throttle handle assembly out and verified the cable ends are ok.  Had my done move the throttle handle so I could watch the other end.  Shift cable moves freely and puts the transmission into forward and reverse properly.  Engine throttle has no movement at all.  Assuming the cable itself broke.  Going to our marina to see if I can get parts.  I can’t see the cable routing — it looks like it goes under the floor.  If anyone has a diagram or some words of wisdom on how to replace that while in our lift, that would be awesome. 

Apparently this is the culprit. The brass end piece was quite worn, but not yet broken, per Formulaben’s initial post.  

Steve B:  the marina wanted the cable in order guarantee the right parts, lengths, etc, but I pulled a string through in order help route the new one back through.  

Edit: was trying to post a picture, but I can’t find the way to do that on my phone.  Will try to add when I get back to my computer.  

Edited by WIBU

Update:  I’ve verified the part number with Malibu — 3661151 - Control Cable.  But, part is backordered with no estimate of when it will come in.  Anyone have any good sources For hard to find parts?