Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

possible fuel leak

Hey all,

our 2000 escape 23 lsv has always had a faint smell of gas. Now that I have the boat stored in my garage at home it’s very noticeable.  Makes the garage smell a little, and when you open the ski locker you get a big whiff of raw fuel. 
Thanks to the crew I was able to pull up the center floor access. Much to my surprise I couldn’t see a damn thing...just the big a** 55g tank. no obvious cracks or holes on the top of the tank. 
next step?  Pressurize tank and listen/look for leaks?  Pull the tank and fully inspect?Just run it?

Thanks guys!

Do you notice if it only happens when the tank is full or not?  I'd check the fuel tank sending unit hardware for tightness (5 screws?), then hit all the hose clamps associated with the fuel system: fuel line, return line, fuel tank fill hoses and vent line(s.)  I'll bet you that you'll be surprised at how many turns you'll make to get them tight again.

I had this Issue from day one on a new-to-me 2003 SLXi.   Unfortunately I did not do my homework and/or a thorough diagnosis  before I jumped into my issue, however to second what formulaben suggested ;

Take a good look at the fuel return line connection right behind the fuel pump.   I found that hose had deteriorated and showed weeping fuel under pressure.  I made a fresh cut and tightened the clamp.

Ultimately, I replaced all fuel hoses (fill, vent, feed, and return) except the pump to fuel rail, replaced the gasket and screws of the sender, and installed a Racor vent valve because I could never get away from worrying about when it might go boom.   All that and I got some religion regarding blower motor/fan usage, installed a newer blower and new ducting hose for it.

Just a guess, however I feel like the ethanol fuel prior to my ownership might have deteriorated the fuel lines.

As an addendum; I finally had my first day out with all the fuel system changes and want to encourage anybody fighting these issues; all of my fuel smells/scents are gone!

Edited by xav8rdtc
13 minutes ago, xav8rdtc said:

...because I could never get away from worrying about when it might go boom.  All that and I got some religion regarding blower motor/fan usage and installed a newer blower and ducting hose for it.

Good advice...I should have emphasized it to anyone who comes across this thread that each year there are several accidents and even fatalities of engine compartment explosions due to fuel leaks and/or lack of blower use.

13 minutes ago, xav8rdtc said:

Ultimately, I replaced all fuel hoses except the pump to fuel rail (fill, vent, feed, return), replaced the gasket and screws of the sender...

Just a guess however I feel like the ethanol fuel prior to my ownership might have deteriorated the fuel lines.

More good advice.  It's probably worth considering replacing the lines anyway given the age of the hoses. 

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

More good advice.  It's probably worth considering Replaceing the lines anyway given the age of the hoses. 

I fixed that sentence for you.

I gave every hose clamp a little tighten.(found nothing loose) tightened the sender screws a touch, shows no signs of fuel seeping or leaking around the engine.  
smell is the strongest in the ski locker.

Correct me if I’m wrong seems 2000 lsvs have all the fuel tank penetrations visible under rear center seat.    Anyone ever hear of a screw being accidentally put through a tank?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, 2000lsv said:

smell is the strongest in the ski locker.

That is the lowest spot on the boat, so any leaking fuel will end up there. I would think all the holes in the tank are at least visible from under the rear seats, at least they are on mine. Should be a fuel pick up (with a brass shut off), fuel return, and a hole for the fuel level sender. Mine had a leak at the fuel level sender once. The plastic de-formed slightly so when we had a full tank and used a steep ramp.... it would leak. I used a liquid gasket, fuel resistant, to give it a better seal.