Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torn - 2022 A22 vs A20 - is it worth the step up?

TommyTuna

Getting ready to order a 2022 A20 in August but starting to have second thoughts on stepping up to A22 for the extra space (60% of boating will be our family of four but 40% will be with guests and upto 8 ppl). We have a cottage so we don’t spend all day on water - max few hours at a time.

I am calculating about a 7k difference in MSRP between two boats and figure option pricing will be same? Is this about right? Or is the price delta much more?

Two things have me hesitating on the A22 bigger boat. I know ppl always say go bigger.. but:

1) Weight - surprised to see the 2 ft causes 1000 lb increase (4500 lb dry weight on A22)   - I expect this would be about 6500 lbs with trailer.  I need to be able to tow this a very short distance (15km)  to dealer twice a year for storage and maintenance with my Tesla Model X which will push past Model X limits but figure this is ok for short distance at slow speeds 

2) Fuel Economy -  seeing the tests out there from the various magazines, seems like fuel economy on A20 was approaching 4 MPG at cruise vs high 2s on A22. Quite a difference as we do a lot of cruising to sandbars and towns on water.  Also assume top speed affected given we would stick with base Monsoon5

That said I assume the wave and other aspects such as comfort will be a lot better:) Tough choice!!

I don't think anyone regrets going with a bigger boat. Also I’d just assume the A22 would handle chop better than the A20  

As for towing, just a quick search has it the model x rated at just under 5000lbs. No way I would feel comfortable towing either boat with that vehicle any more than a few miles. Wouldn’t trust it on anything more than a 5% graded ramp.

Fuel economy will be more affected by transmission ratio and prop choice. 

Edited by Dsalyers
4 minutes ago, Dsalyers said:

As for towing, just a quick search has it the model x rated at just under 5000lbs. No way I would feel comfortable towing either boat with that vehicle any more than a few miles. Wouldn’t trust it on anything more than a 5% graded ramp.

Electrics are TOTALLY different.  Battery heat management is the limiting factor in tow rating for the X, I'm almost certain.  It could handle a 5% ramp better than any 1 ton truck out there.  Taking to and from storage should be a walk in the park for the X 

Does your dealer offer end of season removal service?

Have you physically been in both boats to see the space difference?  My kids and one other family and my 22ft gets cramped quick. It seems a lot go 20ft because of a specific restriction or to be garage friendly. 

If you are worried about fuel I would look at tank size more than consumption.

a20 is a 4 or 5 person boat max, being able to return snd  change people would allow for an a20,  want all 8 people on board in cabin or bow seats , get an a22,  

now if you guys sprawl to the locker pads then counter with bow passengers as well and you can do the a20 with 8 especially since your not packing gear for everyone