Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Grooves in prop key after mangling prop

I recently replaced my propeller after it got a bit mangled hitting a wooden bunk. While switching the prop I noticed that the prop key had grooves on either side of it that ran the entire length of the key. It still fit in the space fine but because of the grooves I felt like it might wiggle a bit. Having no spare key around I put the new prop on and everything seemed fine so I went out boating.

I have a new prop key on order but my wuestion is should I take the prop back off and replace the key when it gets here or just not worry about it unless there is an issue? I wish I had taken a picture of the existing key but the best way I can describe it is that it had grooves about 2mm deep on both sides of it in the middle along the seams between the prop and shaft.

Also, where's the best place to send my old bent Acme to get it repaired?

Thanks for any help

I wouldn't worry about the key. The prop is a pres-fit on the shaft, and the key is just there to help keep it from spinning. Assuming you torqued your prop nut correctly (not sure what the torq is..) it should be fine - there isn't anywhere for it to go.

Acme will repair their props IIRC. I wouldn't worry about the key either, it is indeed a press fit. Just replace it next time you have the prop off.

Acme doesn't rebuild em but Bill has a local guy around there that does. I just got mine back from them yesterday. Fast and reasonable.

A much bigger problem with the key is when it has a bur, is oversized or binds in the keyway and prevents the prop from fully seating. It is always a good idea to dress the key and keyway, shaft taper and inside of prop so that it freely slides into place. I always dry fit the prop on the shaft without a key, mark the shaft with a pencil or sharp marker, then make sure the prop fitted with the key goes all the way to the mark before leaning on the nut to tighten.

I hit something pretty solid last year and my key actually split in two pieces. I would pull the prop and replace it when the new key comes in.

I hit something pretty solid last year and my key actually split in two pieces.  I would pull the prop and replace it when the new key comes in.

I agree, the lines you see is a partial shear of the key. I would replace it asap and get another as a spare.

I agree with last post. I hit something, bent prop, and replaced with new prop using OLD scored key. While prop was pressed on, and nylock properly snugged down, I got a slight vibration from prop moving laterally on shaft. I replaced key on prop with an SS key and have not had a problem since. I DO worry that the next prop strike will damage shaft as there is less give with an SS key. But definitely no movement from SS Key.