Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tune up kit Part numbers

Going up to the lake house (6 hours away) where the boat is tucked in a nice garage on the water. 

list of things to do including installing FAE, adjusting the packing nut, refinishing the swim platform and reinforcing it with some angle iron as well as rewiring my reversible ballast pumps so they don’t burn my boat down.

want to do a tune up but haven’t done one on this boat before. 

2000 Malibu escape wakesetter with the 320 Monsoon motor. 

looking for a list of part numbers for the tune up. Searching on here resulted in an hour of debates and possibles. Looking to compile a full list for future bu owners looking to do the same. Planning on ordering on rockauto.

what I’m looking for....

-oil type, filter part number and amount of oil to buy.

-which plugs to buy (gap etc)

-cap and rotor part numbers

-wires? (Looking like I’m going to have to cut and crimp my own)

thanks all. 

3 hours ago, ThinBuLine said:

Thanks. I saw this however it is very, very basic. 

Only thing is has that I need is oil type... plugs are the MR43LTS but those are the very basic copper tipped plugs. 

Those are the plugs I use.

I use Delo 15w40 diesel oil.  I has an S rating as well as C rating.

Just picked up the plugs from Napa - $3.00 each as well as the filter -$10.

cap and rotor I still don’t have the part numbers for so I guess I’ll be taking them off and making a trip to the parts store at the lake house. 45 min drive one way I didn’t want to make .

Went to Walmart for the dello 15w-40 for $14 a gallon compared to Napa at $28 a gallon. 

I don’t understand oils and why we use diesel oil in our boats?

also picked up some new rocker switches and wire to rewire my reversible ballast pumps as the previous owner almost burned the boat down...

1 hour ago, ThinBuLine said:

Just picked up the plugs from Napa - $3.00 each as well as the filter -$10.

cap and rotor I still don’t have the part numbers for so I guess I’ll be taking them off and making a trip to the parts store at the lake house. 45 min drive one way I didn’t want to make .

Went to Walmart for the dello 15w-40 for $14 a gallon compared to Napa at $28 a gallon. 

also picked up some new rocker switches and wire to rewire my reversible ballast pumps as the previous owner almost burned the boat down...

I’ll check for a number on mine real quick for you…. If it’s not too late

@ThinBuLine It's part number 808483q2

Not sure why it takes diesel oil either.. must be an additive or something. Mine takes right at 5.5 quarts, but I use the taller napa 1060 oil filter, some folks report more or less... depending on what oil filter you got. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
2 hours ago, ThinBuLine said:

Not diesel oil per se, but heavy duty oil.  Don't use any old diesel oil unless it has an S rating.  My engine wants SJ or better (so SN would work in mine).  S is a rating for spark engines and C is a rating for compression (diesel) engines.  Delo happens to carry both.  A lot of us switched from Rotella oil when they dropped the S rating, even though they say it is the same formulation.

A boat engine is under heavy load whenever the boat is in gear.  It is like driving a car uphill pulling a full load the whole time.

1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I’ll check for a number on mine real quick for you…. If it’s not too late

That would be awesome. Thank you!

@ThinBuLine It's part number 808483q2

Not sure why it takes diesel oil either.. must be an additive or something. Mine takes right at 5.5 quarts, but I use the taller napa 1060 oil filter, some folks report more or less... depending on what oil filter you got. 

Is this the part number for the cap? Or rotor? Or is it a one box kit?

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Not diesel oil per se, but heavy duty oil.  Don't use any old diesel oil unless it has an S rating.  My engine wants SJ or better (so SN would work in mine).  S is a rating for spark engines and C is a rating for compression (diesel) engines.  Delo happens to carry both.  A lot of us switched from Rotella oil when they dropped the S rating, even though they say it is the same formulation.

A boat engine is under heavy load whenever the boat is in gear.  It is like driving a car uphill pulling a full load the whole time.

This makes sense. Thanks for the explanation

8 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

That would be awesome. Thank you!

Is this the part number for the cap? Or rotor? Or is it a one box kit?

This makes sense. Thanks for the explanation

It’s for both the cap and rotor. The one at the auto parts store, if that’s where you get one, will be the automotive version and not have the brass connections. So it won’t last as long due to corrosion. The one I referenced can be had for like $35 on eBay. Quicksilver I think is the brand.

Do you have the part number for the brass one as I know they can be had at an auto parts store from my previous boat. 

4 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

It’s for both the cap and rotor. The one at the auto parts store, if that’s where you get one, will be the automotive version and not have the brass connections. So it won’t last as long due to corrosion. The one I referenced can be had for like $35 on eBay. Quicksilver I think is the brand.

24 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

Do you have the part number for the brass one as I know they can be had at an auto parts store from my previous boat. 

That number I gave you is the brass/ marine version. 

That part number doesn’t come up on rock auto.

That number I gave you is the brass/ marine version. 

I called other local part stores and there’s a 2 week lead time... any other suggestions?

Again, your auto parts store will likely not carry the marine version. You can get it online several places. You can use the automotive version if you’re in a pinch, it just won’t last as long.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra-18-5281-tune-up-kit-replaces-808483q2/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_8mHBhClARIsABfFgpiry7zsOScrqSipROHuz5EjfthHhnvmVuGOppHVSMZ7BJ_2i1Ckx2YaAplQEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313299171826?hash=item48f215f9f2:g:5r8AAOSwsLdfrt28

Edited by BlindSquirrel