Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

About to buy a Neil Pryde Glide Surf 19 for behind the boat. Just wanting to verify thats not to large

Smokedvw

I talked to Mac kiteboarding and another shop here in Canada and both recommended the 19 vs the 15.  Mac said they have ridden all the foils and prefer the Neil Pryde over the Slingshot, slightly faster turning with the larger wing.  Seems like most people are riding the Sling shot 86 if behind the boat.  Last year I used my kite foil which 100% does not work for anything but being toed at +18mph.  I want to drop down to riding 10-12mph behind my 2001 VLX sunsetter.  Still no bags but I will put some in next winter hence the reason they said go bigger vs the 15 I had initially thought.  I'm 190lbs.  I am looking to ride it 2/3 back as well and be able to pump around and also ride and surf the first wave.

Looking for inputs before I drop 1.5k on this baby ;)

They did mention if I think the 19 is too big I can mail it back and get another sent out.

6 minutes ago, Smokedvw said:

I talked to Mac kiteboarding and another shop here in Canada and both recommended the 19 vs the 15.  Mac said they have ridden all the foils and prefer the Neil Pryde over the Slingshot, slightly faster turning with the larger wing.  Seems like most people are riding the Sling shot 86 if behind the boat.  Last year I used my kite foil which 100% does not work for anything but being toed at +18mph.  I want to drop down to riding 10-12mph behind my 2001 VLX sunsetter.  Still no bags but I will put some in next winter hence the reason they said go bigger vs the 15 I had initially thought.  I'm 190lbs.  I am looking to ride it 2/3 back as well and be able to pump around and also ride and surf the first wave.

They did mention if I think the 19 is too big I can mail it back and get another sent out.

Following lol.

50 minutes ago, Smokedvw said:

No idea. But the slingshot 76 would also be fine for you. I’m a little lighter than you (175) and can ride our 76 on the second wake of our T22 with no ballast all day long. 

I just checked and the Neil Pryde 19 = 1850cm2,  Slingshot 76 = 1560 cm2, 86 which apparently a lot of guys are getting for behind the boats (according to Mac and Silent Sports) is 2066cm2.

So I would say it will be right in between those and probably better for my weight :)

@shawndoggy I think that will be right for me then.  Cant wait to get ripping on it, which board are you using?   

The more I read as well it seems like people want to run less ballast if you want less of a lip and breaking wave to go up and down on.

Super excited to foil and then maybe get out to try surfing the ocean with it, ill just have to find a better break that is not so shallow in Tofino and some not so big waves :)

23 minutes ago, Smokedvw said:

I think that will be right for me then.  Cant wait to get ripping on it, which board are you using?   

I'm on the Slingshot WF-1, and the infinity 76 foil and 28" mast.  I've had a few guys your size on ours and they definitely get push from the second wake.  All newbs still waiting to get past the initial learning curve and toss the rope, but I have no doubt that they will be able to.

We run the boat empty (no ballast/no wedge).  If I'm surfing the first wake I go 12.6.  11.6 seems to be the sweet spot for the second wake (or at least it's the best speed for me to find the second wake with the rope length I'm using).  It's SOOOOOOO easy on gas!

46 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm on the Slingshot WF-1, and the infinity 76 foil and 28" mast.  I've had a few guys your size on ours and they definitely get push from the second wake.  All newbs still waiting to get past the initial learning curve and toss the rope, but I have no doubt that they will be able to.

We run the boat empty (no ballast/no wedge).  If I'm surfing the first wake I go 12.6.  11.6 seems to be the sweet spot for the second wake (or at least it's the best speed for me to find the second wake with the rope length I'm using).  It's SOOOOOOO easy on gas!

Sweet just ordered it ;)

Ill report back next weekend! :)

Are you running rope-less out on the second wave once up @shawndoggy?

Edited by Smokedvw
  • 3 weeks later...

Out riding went ropeless for 10m today! 

I do find that I'm riding super close to the boat, like if I wanted I can easily pump the board for speed and run into it.  

I feel the best spot to just chil and ride without doing much is right behind the boat tight to where I can see the first air bubbles coming from the ski platform. I pretty much watch that platform and cruise in there.  If I carve out I have to pump to get back into that zone. 

I have 0 ballast but find I like the manual gate down and a wake shaper on the side of the boat cleans the wake up better. 

I'll have to figure out how to post a photo! 

what's your speed?

Get some video up?

If you are feeling like you are accellerating to fast to the boat, cut out to bleed speed and then cut back in to keep the push.  repeat.  One difference between foil riding and wakesurfing is that you bleed speed by cutting out of the "push".  It's not just a "cut out" motion tho, it's a cut out and then back in.  If you just cut out you'll be in no-mans-land pretty quick.