Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis quality issues

Msudogs93

I bought my t23 March 26. Since then, here is a list of issues I’ve had.  Several were fixed by the dealer shortly after. Since then:

floor covering coming up everywhere

dash is crooked

interior lights don’t work

back rest on rear stbd has bowed/warped and come away from the hull

Vinyl under port hatch is coming loose from seat

hole in the gel coat in an inconspicuous spot

cup holder on swim deck has come out/loose

depth finder not working-fixed by dealer

Wench on trailer malfunctions  

just a design flaw, the rear corner seats are poorly designed  if you don’t get them exactly right they will collapse into the hull  all they had to do was add 1/4” of hull/rim under it and it would be perfect   

I sent an email to axis and they said they will cover under warranty  But, this is a big disappointment in their quality   I expected more from the Malibu/Axis line   I’m waiting until the end of the season because I can see this being months  

Edited by Msudogs93
Misspelled word

@Msudogs93 - My 21 A24 has the bow vinyl pulling away from the hull on both sides on the opposite sides as well.  Sorry you've had a lot of these minor issues.  I received the wrong bimini and one of my seat cushions didn't get the feet to keep it in place (slides) if you put pressure on the seat.  I have a couple of small gel imperfections as well.

On your dash. . . what do you mean by crooked?  Mine on the bottom won't fit in perfectly . . . the one end is kind of cocked and no matter what I do the piece falls out eventually.  Sometimes causes a vibration from the sub. . . annoying

On the cupholder part. . . just caulk it down. . . should never have that issue again.  I had that issue in my old A22.  I have the 865 wakemakers bags so it pushes the cup holder up a little if a jacket or something finds its way back there. . . could happen to you?

Have you checked your coolant at all?  I'm just over 50 hours and when I went to look at it mine was almost completely gone.  Have you had this issue?  I didn't think it would go that quickly.

My trailer winch is a little funky 2.  I might try and put something a little more robust on mine.  Side note, does one of your bunks seem a little more to one side than the other?  Every time I put the boat on it hugs the starboard bunk even though the port has an 1-2" gap?  I know some is carpet, just was curious.

On my tower on the port side it shakes even though the screws are tight.  Doesn't do it when we ride so right now i'm not worried about it, but it's very annoying.  The other side is fine.  

I will say even with all of these small issues I really like the boat a lot.  I feel like from my 2011 to now, Axis has really improved.  Right now for the money I'm not sure anything can rival these boats on performance.  Quality on the other hand I guess that's up for interpretation.  I think all manufactures have issues and given the climate we're in I'm not upset.  If I had a lot of major things going on though. . . it would be a different story.  

Coming from a 2013 Four Winns I/O that cost me $30,000 brand new, I too can say I am disappointed in the fit and finish of the Axis. I have the 2020 A20 with the M5DI. Do not get me wrong I LOVE my AXIS and it is better now that I have fixed several of the small issues myself (so I know it is done correctly.) The following are things I have repaired:

1) Bow back cushion- thread was pulled out about six inches. I took cushion off, pulled thread back and re-knotted loose end then taped it so it cannot pull back through. This worked great!

) Carpeted portion over transmission was not accessible without removing the entire rear seat back! Some genius at the factory put screws in too high (behind the back seat cushion). After about 2-3 hours of removing the rear seat and everything in the lockers, I was able to remove the screws and delete them. the panel is now held in place with two screws in engine compartment and a bolt and wingnut setup under transmission cover. I can now remove this panel on the water with a screwdriver which  I keep on board. it shouldn't take my 3 hours to check the level of the ATF!

3) May be factory or dealer but I had rubbing compound in every nook and cranny imaginable. Under seat cushions and melted into the finish of the tower that I am still removing nearly a year later.

4) I have several small blemishes in my gel coat. Mainly in the hull which I have slowly been sanding and buffing to remove and repair.

5) Same thing with my dash. The lower panel is garbage, does not fit correctly and god bless the person who removes it and has to put it back in place.

6) The clamp on the oil drain hose does not fit through the drain plug hole! Oil filter has to be just right to get in/out because the motor sits to the rear about two inches to far (Stupid little things that are annoying)

7) Engine side panels would not fit and upon examination, were squishing the wire loom in back of boat under transom. I had to remove, cut them down and re-router the edges. Fit great now!

8) My cupholders would always lift up but never fell out. The ballast hose would shrink/contract and push the cupholder out. I pushed them down and put an appropriately sized worm-hose clamp around it to hold in place. Still removable but when I want to do it.

9) Prior to me purchasing the boat and while on the dealer lot, the tower arms (supports) inadvertently layed against tower and someone must have raised and lowered it which scratched the finish on the tower to the metal. I had to touch up both sides of the tower.

I am sure there is more but my boat is a work in progress. As stated before, the boat runs and drives amazing and the wave is amazing. They just need to work on fit and finish of these boats a little at the factory. The money being spent on these boats should not require them to be returned to a dealer for these stupid little QA problems.

We had some of the same issues on our 2021 A24. Only one electrical issue and no mechanical issues(aside from burning up one impeller as we were loading on trailer to take for 50hr service. The new impeller and housing were put in on that service). 

Gel coat had several spots on both sides that had be taken care of this past winter. 

Soft grip flooring under the drivers side came unglued(still waiting on replacement piece)

A couple of small upholstery issues that were taken care of this past winter. 

One side of the tower was always very difficult to latch, so I made some small adjustments to the fastener and it works fine now. 

The usual digs and scratches from careless people with sharpe tools at the factory in the interior gel coat that were fixed this winter. Part of the Joys of Dark interior Gel Coat. 

The walk through Window didn’t latch/line up very well(taken care of this past winter). 

The Bluetooth connectivity on the stereo went out(still waiting on a new control box). 

We actually had less QC issues than on our 2019 A22 we ordered, and no issues that have keep us off of the water so far🤞.

Reading other manufacture forms, this isn’t just a Malibu/Axis issue. 

• Like 4

On the dash- the bottom cover came out past the dash and was crooked.  I tired to fix it myself with no luck.  The dealer said the dash is actually crooked and rigged the under side in the proper place. 

im not going to caulk my cup holder- they need to fix it. But, that is a good idea. 

my seat back is warped   It will need to replaced I’m sure  

I’ll end up paying for the interior gel coat because I’m sure they will say it was done after it left the showroom. 

Nothing has kept me off the water, but it will be at the dealer fir a while at the end of season. 

18 minutes ago, Msudogs93 said:

On the dash- the bottom cover came out past the dash and was crooked.  I tired to fix it myself with no luck.  The dealer said the dash is actually crooked and rigged the under side in the proper place. 

im not going to caulk my cup holder- they need to fix it. But, that is a good idea. 

my seat back is warped   It will need to replaced I’m sure  

I’ll end up paying for the interior gel coat because I’m sure they will say it was done after it left the showroom. 

Nothing has kept me off the water, but it will be at the dealer fir a while at the end of season. 

I did forget about the under dash cover  ours was re aligned on the 10/15hr service. It would barely stay up/closed and I put a couple pieces of double sided tape to hold it till it was fixed  

We did a walk through of the boat with our dealer on delivery and noted issues with the interior gel coat. They basically told us that we could have it all fixed durning the winter(it was) and any new scuffs/marks would also be fixed within reason(they were). They did the same with the A22 when we bought it. Both had black Interior gel coat.  I would think your dealer would take care of you with the interior gel issues.  

Edited by Dsalyers

Some similar items for my 21 A22 (bought in Feb).

Swim Deck cup holders keep popping out (bought some cheap replacements that I will have to seal down somehow).  I assume the rear PNP (along with stuff like lifevests on top of that) are pushing them up

The front of the Softgrip on the floor in the bow has shriveled up and coming off (ugly) - Will have it fixed under warranty over winter.  Seems like design or install issue

The Cover on the underside of the dash fell off (found it on the floor).  First I found 1 double ended Screw on the floor I didnt know where it came from, next week I found the whole cover on the ground after trailering it home.  Assuming poor design and vibration loosening those weird screws.  Will have dealer fix it later

Have this also "May be factory or dealer but I had rubbing compound in every nook and cranny imaginable."

A few other minor things (and I guess I need to check my gel coat based on the other comments)

Runs great, and love the wave....

We love using it, but it does suck gas like crazy, seems like around 10gph when surfing...A boat like this shouldnt have to stop for gas after 4-5 hrs :(

I think I can probably tune it with some more weight in the bow to get the prop pushing more effieciently

50 minutes ago, AxisA22er said:

Some similar items for my 21 A22 (bought in Feb).

Swim Deck cup holders keep popping out (bought some cheap replacements that I will have to seal down somehow).  I assume the rear PNP (along with stuff like lifevests on top of that) are pushing them up

The front of the Softgrip on the floor in the bow has shriveled up and coming off (ugly) - Will have it fixed under warranty over winter.  Seems like design or install issue

The Cover on the underside of the dash fell off (found it on the floor).  First I found 1 double ended Screw on the floor I didnt know where it came from, next week I found the whole cover on the ground after trailering it home.  Assuming poor design and vibration loosening those weird screws.  Will have dealer fix it later

Have this also "May be factory or dealer but I had rubbing compound in every nook and cranny imaginable."

A few other minor things (and I guess I need to check my gel coat based on the other comments)

Runs great, and love the wave....

We love using it, but it does suck gas like crazy, seems like around 10gph when surfing...A boat like this shouldnt have to stop for gas after 4-5 hrs :(

I think I can probably tune it with some more weight in the bow to get the prop pushing more effieciently

Mine had rubbing compound all over the interior and exterior.  The bow floor covering shriveled and rolled up on edges.  Every other piece of floor covering is coming loose on corners.  Hopefully they will honor the interior hole in the hull 

My dealer told me to use electrical tape around the top of the cup holders under the brim to keep them from popping out.  He stated that they (dealer) do this when they receive it from the factory.  That way they are still removable if you want to upgrade them to stainless steel or something different later on.