Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Response. Blew main fuse?

99 Response. Monsoon efi 

Blowing up kids skimmer with 12 v pump. Wouldn’t start back up. 
Turn key nothing but beeps. No gauges blower bilge etc.

Battery showing 12.8 after a charge.
No change, nothing on dash works. Key only beeps.

I have all those round breakers under the throttle, they don’t appear to be popped?

There is a red 50 button by the ecm?

With the blower and bilge dead, it’s a battery connection right?

I pulled and tightened back down, I’ll clean them good tomorrow. 

Thanks Crew!!

15 hours ago, NAM75 said:

There is a red 50 button by the ecm?

And also another one somewhere between the battery and the helm.  The configuration has changed a few times, but it may be behind the ECM cover but the 50-amp breaker is the engine breaker, there should also be a 60-amp main electrical breaker somewhere between the battery and the helm main power feed.  I'd start with resetting the engine main c/b first though.

Key only beeps.

What does this mean?

Edited by formulaben
8 hours ago, formulaben said:

And also another one somewhere between the battery and the helm.  The configuration has changed a few times, but it may be behind the ECM cover but the 50-amp breaker is the engine breaker, there should also be a 60-amp main electrical breaker somewhere between the battery and the helm main power feed.  I'd start with resetting the engine c/b first though.

What does this mean?

Turn key beeps before startup.

Is the bilge and blower tied into this helm breaker?

If not then I’m thinking battery connection since those aren’t working.

Thanks for the replay 

2 hours ago, NAM75 said:

If not then I’m thinking battery connection since those aren’t working.

Obviously the battery connections need to be clean, but the boat has hundreds of other connections that need to be clean also. 

Dive under the dash and clean every connection you can find.  This includes the back of the breakers near the throttle.  Then under the engine hood.  Pay special attention to the ground lugs at the rear of the heads.  Remove and check the Cannon Plug at the rear starboard side of the engine.  Make sure it is clean and has no pushed pins.  Gently spread the male pins with a small blade so they make better contact in the sockets.

6 hours ago, NAM75 said:

Is the bilge and blower tied into this helm breaker?

Yes.

6 hours ago, NAM75 said:

Turn key beeps before startup.

That tells me that you're getting power to the ECM, so engine c/b is fine (see correction above.)

Battery showing 12.8 after a charge.

That's good to know.  Now let's see where that power is going...

Measure your voltage with a voltmeter at the engine ground terminal and starter terminal, this will verify power from battery to engine.

Measure your voltage with a voltmeter at the negative bus bar up under the dash and the positive bus bar which feeds the breakers, this will verify power to the dash.  If this is zero, then I'd guess it is your main c/b.  My bet is this has tripped.

Regardless of what you find, Gary has good advice here.  I'd go through and clean each and every cable terminal/connection (battery, master switch, engine, positive feed buss, negative feed buss) and also clean and tighten all the connections on the negative bus bar under the helm. 

Blowing up kids skimmer with 12 v pump.

Just curious, how was the pump powered?  Meaning, did you use a 12v cigarette style outlet, or something that clips onto the battery, or ?

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

Yes.

That tells me that you're getting power to the ECM, so engine c/b is fine (see correction above.)

That's good to know.  Now let's see where that power is going...

Measure your voltage with a voltmeter at the engine ground terminal and starter terminal, this will verify power from battery to engine.

Measure your voltage with a voltmeter at the negative bus bar up under the dash and the positive bus bar which feeds the breakers, this will verify power to the dash.  If this is zero, then I'd guess it is your main c/b.  My bet is this has tripped.

Regardless of what you find, Gary has good advice here.  I'd go through and clean each and every cable terminal/connection (battery, master switch, engine, positive feed buss, negative feed buss) and also clean and tighten all the connections on the negative bus bar under the helm. 

Just curious, how was the pump powered?  Meaning, did you use a 12v cigarette style outlet, or something that clips onto the battery, or ?

12 volt cig lighter. Use it all the time for this.

anyone got a pic of the breaker?

I don’t see it under the helm. Cables go down between the passenger and observer seat back to the engine area. 

47 minutes ago, NAM75 said:

anyone got a pic of the breaker?

Dang, someone just posted this a few days ago...I'll see if I can find it.  Pretty sure in your case it's under/near the cover for the relays.  Engine 50-amp breaker is nearby that area too.

Red engine 50-amp circuit breaker is visible.  Under that cover (blue arrow) is the relays for the fuel pump, starter, and ignition.  Adjacent to them is the 60-amp main DC power circuit breaker.

20121004-161923976b.jpg

While jumping the kill switch, found a loose wire on the back of the key switch! Some dirty battery posts probably didn’t help🤷🏻‍♂️

back running👍👍

Thanks for the help Crew!!

• Like 2