Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 malibu cutting out in gear

So I have a 2000 malibu sunsetter lxi I took it in a few weeks ago and had it summarized and the oil changed the first time out after its servicing it started cutting out like it was running out of gas. We changed both in line fuel filters with no change then put a modified fuel pump kit in it and still no change would like as much info as possible thanks in advance

Edited by Frustrated
3 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

So I have a 2000 malibu sunsetter lxi I took it in a few weeks ago and had it summarized and the oil changed the first time out after its servicing it started cutting out like it was running out of gas. We changed both in line fuel filters with no change then put a modified fuel pump kit in it and still no change would like as much info as possible thanks in advance

Welcome....Nice screen name! Is the motor EFI or carbed? How many hours? When was the last tune up?

37 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

About 4 weeks ago 

What was done? Typical tune up items are cap and rotor, plugs, plug wires, and fuel filters. You already did the filters, that's good. If it's cutting out under load, then it could be a fuel delivery issue. You can verify your fuel pump is working correctly by buying or renting a fuel pressure gauge. There is a valve on the fuel rail you hook it to.

1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

first time out after its servicing it started cutting out like it was running out of gas.

Was this during first start/run of the day, or after sitting a while after running/cruising?

Ok so no we did not do a complete tune up I have a fuel pressure test kit I'll check it out.. also when we engage the neutral switch to rev the engine it sound perfect with no issue only when gear is engaged 

5 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Formulaben we had been wakeboarding for over 2 hours when it first started 

I'm talking about the day it started...did you wakeboard for a while and sit and hang out and then it started, or is it in the middle of a run, or ?

Ok so no we did not do a complete tune up I have a fuel pressure test kit I'll check it out.. also when we engage the neutral switch to rev the engine it sound perfect with no issue only when gear is engaged 

It is still too hard to determine whether it is fuel or spark, so it is best to do the tune up to make sure.  Try to find a marine cap and rotor so the contacts are brass rather than aluminum.  If the plug wires have never been replaced, it is definitely time.

If it still runs poorly (or if you just want to know), put the fuel pressure gauge on it to make sure it has constant ~44 PSI pressure at key on, idle, and WOT.

Formulaben we had been wakeboarding for over 2 hours when it first started 

32 minutes ago, justgary said:

It is still too hard to determine whether it is fuel or spark, so it is best to do the tune up to make sure.  Try to find a marine cap and rotor so the contacts are brass rather than aluminum.  If the plug wires have never been replaced, it is definitely time.

If it still runs poorly (or if you just want to know), put the fuel pressure gauge on it to make sure it has constant ~44 PSI pressure at key on, idle, and WOT.

I would definitely change all as recommended (spark plugs, cap, rotor, & wires) but also add a new coil to the group, as this is how they behave when they age fail while hot.  Just as Gary says about the plug wires, I would also add that you have a 21+ year old coil if that is original.  They are relatively cheap, so I would do that to remove it from the troubleshooting tree, and even if it doesn't fix the problem I'd chalk it up to preventive maintenance.

Ok thank you all I appreciate all the info I will get back to y'all as I get things done

Edited by Frustrated