Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 vlx piggy back and ballast questions

07wakesetter

We bought a 2006 VLX today and it has the piggyback system installed on it but he didn’t have the bag anymore. I see in the kit online it comes with a option on 750 or 1100 fly high. Will a 750 fat sack work fine if I just order one of those? It looks like it’s the same thing online. If not is there anywhere I buy just the fly high bag? I looked on bakes and could only find it with the whole kit. 

Also, if I don’t want all of the weight is it possible to just fill the hard tanks and not the bag? I feel like I won’t always want the extra weight but I read it fills up by running through the bag which makes me wonder if that bag will be half way full before it can start feeding the tank under it? 

I honestly feel like I don’t need the piggy back system but didn’t want to take it off if I can still have the option of running stock tanks only when I want to.

It’s  all new to me and I don’t understand it completely. Thanks for all the help.

Congrats on the new boat!

Fly High makes the Fatsac.  If you already have the pump and tubing, it sounds like all you need is the bag.

If you are just going to fill the hard tanks, you may be happy with your wake board wake (using the wedge).  But, I don't think you'll ever be able to surf without quite a bit more ballast than hard tanks alone can provide.

plug by hand or other the pnp plumbing (bag fill top, possibly close off valve that fills bag, , plug vent, and drain).  time pump till tank overflows out of side.  

in future use recorded time with valve handles closed .  this is our wakeboard set up we use (stock tanks) plus wedge 

Edited by granddaddy55
7 hours ago, srab said:

Congrats on the new boat!

Fly High makes the Fatsac.  If you already have the pump and tubing, it sounds like all you need is the bag.

If you are just going to fill the hard tanks, you may be happy with your wake board wake (using the wedge).  But, I don't think you'll ever be able to surf without quite a bit more ballast than hard tanks alone can provide.

Thank you for the info! They have the piggy back system plumbed to each side rear locker. What size bags would you recommend for surfing? Also a newbie question for sure but do you always use the power wedge when surfing and wakeboarding?  

FWIW, I use a 750 lb Fatsac in my surf-side locker, and, when full, it pretty much fills the space.

Hopefully others will chime in, but I'd be surprised if an 1100 could possibly be fully filled back there.

I don't have the power wedge, but I do use the manual wedge always when surfing and wakeboarding.  Other folks [using, I'm sure, a lot more total ballast than I] don't think it necessary, and may even be detrimental, to use the wedge for surfing.

1 hour ago, srab said:

FWIW, I use a 750 lb Fatsac in my surf-side locker, and, when full, it pretty much fills the space.

Hopefully others will chime in, but I'd be surprised if an 1100 could possibly be fully filled back there.

I don't have the power wedge, but I do use the manual wedge always when surfing and wakeboarding.  Other folks [using, I'm sure, a lot more total ballast than I] don't think it necessary, and may even be detrimental, to use the wedge for surfing.

Thank you for the help. I was thinking a 750 max. Do you have the piggy back? The piggyback system is plumbed on both rear lockers so I guess I will have to get a bag for each side. Do you know if you can just fill the hard tank through the fat sacs? 

No, I have a Sunscape, so no built-in ballast at all.  I have to manually fill all of my Fatsacs, one at a time.  

I'd be inclined to think, though, that you will want a bag for each side.  You'll want your boat equally weighted when wake boarding, but, without a "suck gate," just weighted on the surf-side when surfing (FWIW, I use a NautiCurl and  I have the boat listed towards the surf-side when surfing).

17 minutes ago, 07wakesetter said:

Do you have the piggy back? 

1 hour ago, 07wakesetter said:

Thank you for the help. I was thinking a 750 max. Do you have the piggy back? The piggyback system is plumbed on both rear lockers so I guess I will have to get a bag for each side. Do you know if you can just fill the hard tank through the fat sacs? 

piggyback means tanks fill first and then sacs fill but some simultaneous filling does occur when tank is nearing full,  when emptying,  sacs refill tanks as tanks drain both ,  you have a valve to shut off that fills top of bag, you can shut that off snd tanks will still fill sacs through their overflow vented to bottom of sac and the sac fills but slower than with top valve  open 

thats why you time tanks and pumps with pnp/piggyback plumbing closed off or blocked off so you know what a stock tank fill is for wakeboarding plus wedge

Edited by granddaddy55
10 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

piggyback means tanks fill first and then sacs fill but some simultaneous filling does occur when tank is nearing full,  when emptying,  sacs refill tanks as tanks drain both ,  you have a valve to shut off that fills top of bag, you can shut that off snd tanks will still fill sacs through their overflow vented to bottom of sac and the sac fills but slower than with top valve  open 

Ok that makes sense. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, 07wakesetter said:

I just recently installed the Wakemakers piggyback system on my LSV and it has the 910 bags. For your VLX I think the 750 would be fine. Your boat did not come with the PNP from the factory and is an aftermarket system. I suggest you call Wakemakers and discuss the PNP system you have and they can determine the correct fittings and connectors that you need. 
Good luck and congratulations on the boat. 

16 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

I just recently installed the Wakemakers piggyback system on my LSV and it has the 910 bags. For your VLX I think the 750 would be fine. Your boat did not come with the PNP from the factory and is an aftermarket system. I suggest you call Wakemakers and discuss the PNP system you have and they can determine the correct fittings and connectors that you need. 
Good luck and congratulations on the boat. 

That’s a good idea. I will give them a call and see what they think. Thank you!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same boat and welcome to the club.  Depending on when the prior owner purchased the piggyback system is what size bags it came with. I bought mine in 2018 and it came with 910lb bags.  If you look on their website now, they are 820lb bags.  If you want to surf, I'd get the biggest bags you can for the rear lockers.  For wakeboarding, I fill the center tank and rear tanks at the same time.  When the center tank is full (500lbs), I stop the rear pumps also and found that to be a good wakeboarding wave.  For surfing I fill the rear bags all the way, empty the center tank, have 500lbs of lead under the rear seats, fill a 450lb bag on top the rear seat, a 650lb triangle bag in the bow and the power wedge all the way down and Evolution surf tabs (you can use a suck gate) and I adjust the weight based on crew size.  This set up is for three to four onboard.  This being a smaller and lighter boat then the 23/24 footers, needs weight, but set up like that, its got an awesome wave.