Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat has been constantly leaking the past year or so.

My boat which is a 2006 VLX with around 750 hrs has been constantly filling up with water and the bilge can't keep up when we are in motion. When I sit still the bilge can very very slowly drain water from the boat. The bilge pump was replaced last winter, so I highly doubt that is the problem. Based off of a bunch of forum posts I've read through, I think it might be the packing nut needing to be repacked or tightened, but I'm not home to check if it is leaking or not right now. I also don't know if the packing has ever been tightened or replaced in the past as I bought the boat used with about 500 hrs. If anyone has ever had this issue before and knows what could be causing it please let me know! Also, if anyone has ever changed the packing rope I'd love some advice on how to replace it. I'm looking to put some of the "virtually dripless" packing rope in its place so that I hopefully don't have to deal with this again, but I'm not 100% what the installation process looks like. 

There are several videos on Youtube about repacking the seal (SKIDIM) has one posted.  I gave mine a 1/4 turn on the nut and it improved for a few years but now is probably time to do the job correctly and replace the seal.

Definitely try tightening the packing nut first if it is dripping.  You should get 6 to 10 drips per minute (one drip every 6 to 10 seconds) with the boat in gear at idle speed.

• Like 3

Could be taking water in under rear side rub rail when motoring...wouldnt explain taking water in while sitting. Maybe you bilge pump line is broken under the floor? does it shoot a nice stream out the port?

Those of us with the older LXI's always look forst to the hydrodynamic box...which is the greatest abortion of the Malibu boat line. But I dont think VLX line had that? If so...thats my first suspicion...

9 hours ago, btrapper said:

Hey all, just to update you all. Turns out the issue was just the cold water hose for the shower had come disconnected. All it took to fix was putting the hose back on the nozzle and putting a clamp on it to keep it in place. 

At least it was an easy one. Cold have been something a LOT worse.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, btrapper said:

Hey all, just to update you all. Turns out the issue was just the cold water hose for the shower had come disconnected. All it took to fix was putting the hose back on the nozzle and putting a clamp on it to keep it in place. 

Thanks for circling back with the solution!

• Like 2
On 7/10/2021 at 7:04 PM, gary_tenison said:

Could be taking water in under rear side rub rail when motoring...wouldnt explain taking water in while sitting. Maybe you bilge pump line is broken under the floor? does it shoot a nice stream out the port?

Those of us with the older LXI's always look forst to the hydrodynamic box...which is the greatest abortion of the Malibu boat line. But I dont think VLX line had that? If so...thats my first suspicion...

Sort of hijacking this thread but new to Malibu and just bought an 04 LXi. This quote made me wonder what a hydrodynamic box is, where it is and what I should be watching for…

29 minutes ago, MTBoy said:

Sort of hijacking this thread but new to Malibu and just bought an 04 LXi. This quote made me wonder what a hydrodynamic box is, where it is and what I should be watching for…

Do some searching here.  There are several threads about the HDS box.  

23 hours ago, MTBoy said:

Pull the floor panel behind the motor ox and look down.  It is the rectangular box that the shaft comes out of.