Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Burton in Georgia looking to ban wake surfing.

liquidrider

Our lake has buoys set up 200ft from shore around the entire lake. Between the shore and the buoy = no wakes. Once you get passed the buoys, it's fair game. I think it's done a pretty good job keeping wake surfers far enough away to not cause any significant damage. I should also add that our lake is small enough that its enforced really well.

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Our lake has buoys set up 200ft from shore around the entire lake. Between the shore and the buoy = no wakes. Once you get passed the buoys, it's fair game. I think it's done a pretty good job keeping wake surfers far enough away to not cause any significant damage. I should also add that our lake is small enough that its enforced really well.

Growing up our lake had buoys every season. Seems like they all disappeared about 15 years ago and no one puts them out anymore. Never heard why but they were always nice to identify our lakes no wake zone. 

51 minutes ago, MarkW said:

My lake has 1200 miles of shoreline. I wonder how many bouys that would take :)

22 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

if someone breaks your window with a golf ball, they are responsible for the damage

Not in my home state. Not if you live on a course. 

PS - I'm about the most courteous boater (surf or otherwise) that you will find. I'm also a guy with a dock, tethered to shoreline that I don't "own" on a TVA lake. People surf, cruise or just plow past us all summer long. My shoreline is protected with matting, covered by rip-rap that was installed at a significant cost. My neighbor's shoreline is not protected. He has easily lost 4 feet of shoreline to erosion over the years. I have not. Shoreline erosion can be mitigated on this lake by "owner" intervention, and it has to be done every 15 years or so. I guess that is the bottom line. If you are lucky enough to have landed on a spot on a lake, you have to accept the responsibility that comes with preserving what you have, or tolerating what wakes from nature, or from boats, does to that land. 

22 minutes ago, tbullard said:

That's a lot of buoys...

On 7/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, Michigan boarder said:

A mandatory boating safety class should be in place wherein they cover all of this stuff.  Every 3 year renewal or something too.

This. 

Including subjects such as ramp courtesy could avoid future events of shirtless mayhem.  Lord knows my blood pressure would be lower at night with all these newbs running around with their "headlights" on. :Frustrated:

• Like 3

Water ski America should be contacted.  They got lobbyists to protect ski and wake sports.  They are all teamed up with other tow sport industry leaders.  They are very powerful.  They will crush a small town.  They are in Polk Florida.

Any time some town or county around here tries to put restrictions, they crush them. Suit is filled and the proposed or imposed restrictions end.  Basically debunking the reasons for the restrictions and showing discrimination and bias.  They will take on all the way up to federal level and have.

• Like 3
On 7/14/2021 at 1:21 PM, formulaben said:

This. 

Including subjects such as ramp courtesy could avoid future events of shirtless mayhem.  Lord knows my blood pressure would be lower at night with all these newbs running around with their "headlights" on. :Frustrated:

Headlights are my pet peeve.  I want to pull them all over to educate them.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Headlights are my pet peeve.  I want to pull them all over to educate them.  

I assume you're talking about headlights, like the tow rigs pointed down the ramp ruining our night vision as we load our boats.....its funny.....I'm pretty new to this, roughly one year of boat ownership, and it was something that I just did.......turn the headlights off.....you don't need them....leave the running lights on so the boat can see, and let the boats run their docking lights......easy peasy Japanese......if I can say that, lol.  Even if you didn't just do it, one time loading at night should be efficient experience to just keep the truck headlights off at night at the ramp.....

9 minutes ago, FX41 said:

I assume you're talking about headlights, like the tow rigs pointed down the ramp ruining our night vision as we load our boats.....its funny.....I'm pretty new to this, roughly one year of boat ownership, and it was something that I just did.......turn the headlights off.....you don't need them....leave the running lights on so the boat can see, and let the boats run their docking lights......easy peasy Japanese......if I can say that, lol.  Even if you didn't just do it, one time loading at night should be efficient experience to just keep the truck headlights off at night at the ramp.....

Sorry, I am referring to docking lights on boats that other boaters use as headlights on the lake.   They blind other boaters and are intended to only be used near the docks to aide in loading, not as running lights at night.   Your comment on truck lights is valid and that is a courteous thing to do, but it wasn't the intent of my reference.   

On 7/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, tbullard said:

The water patrol on my lake jokes that "If they put a no wake buoy out for every request, the lake wouldn't need them, because you could walk the lake [from shore to shore]"

Individual lake property owners also seem to not understand that they have to idle out from their neighborhood cove to the main lake if they do get a no wake buoy. It's often "rules for you not for me"; they picture visitors, not residents having to slow to no wake.

1 minute ago, jjackkrash said:

It is a fundamental tenet of general maritime law (applicable to navigable waters) that boat captains (operators) are responsible for damage caused by their wake.  Most state's laws regarding inland waters and non-navigatable waters reflect this (either through statute or common law).  Wake damage is treated the same as a collision (i.e., the wake is an extension of the boat if it hits something and causes damage) and there is a rebuttal presumption of fault if a boat wake causes property damage.

Shore owners, dock owners, and moored boats also have a general duty to take reasonable measures to guard against "normal" conditions, but "normal conditions" require boat operators to be aware of an take reasonable steps to limit the size of their wake if it is impacting property.  Loading boats down with ballast and driving at speeds designed to maximize the size of the wake and driving obliviously close to and past docks and shorelines is completely inconsistent with the duty to take reasonable steps to prevent your boat's wake from causing property damage.    

With this in mind, if you expect shore owners who are not engaged in your sport to simple suck it up and take it as the boats get designed to make bigger and bigger and more powerful wakes (and especially if the boats get used too close to shorelines and docks), good luck with that.   The bigger and badder the wakes get the greater the pressure will be on the local authorities to regulate and take steps to limit, mitigate, and prevent property damage caused by wake boats. 

That was very well stated.  Thanks.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, MarkW said:

We have “no wake” buoys set up in our cove and there are many around the lake as well.  I find for the most part boaters and pwc operators see them and know what to do but sometimes folks don’t pay attention. 

Our lake gets really rough from general boat traffic on weekends.  Whether it’s recreational cruising, or water sports. 

I actually find wakesurfers/wakesurf boats and operators on our lake to be the better operators overall.  More in tune with what is going on around them, and where they are.  

One easy thing we try to do when surfing is run along the undeveloped shorelines.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

It is a fundamental tenet of general maritime law (applicable to navigable waters) that boat captains (operators) are responsible for damage caused by their wake.  Most state's laws regarding inland waters and non-navigable waters reflect this (either through statute or common law).  Wake damage is treated the same as a collision (i.e., the wake is an extension of the boat if it hits something and causes damage) and there is a rebuttable presumption of fault if a boat wake causes property damage.

Shore owners, dock owners, and moored boats also have a general duty to take reasonable measures to guard against "normal" conditions, but "normal conditions" require boat operators to be aware of their wake and take reasonable steps to limit the size of their wake if it is impacting property.  Loading boats down with ballast and driving at speeds designed to maximize the size of the wake and driving obliviously close to and past docks and shorelines is completely inconsistent with the duty to take reasonable steps to prevent your boat's wake from causing property damage.    

With this in mind, if you expect shore owners who are not engaged in your sport to simply suck it up and take it as the boats get designed to make bigger and bigger and more powerful wakes (and especially if the boats get used too close to shorelines and docks), good luck with that.   The bigger and badder the wakes get the greater the pressure will be on the local authorities to regulate and take steps to limit, mitigate, and prevent property damage caused by wake boats. 

remake bingo GIF