Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure high

New engine with about 10 hours on it. Sounds better than the old one ever did :-). However, the oil pressure seems to be even higher than the old one. It use to run about 60 PSI, this one is running at 70 at skiing speeds.

Any problems with it being that high?

Does anyone know how to test the pressure sensor? Can I put a meter on it to measure voltage and/or resistance? I know that there is a chart that shows resistance vs temp for the temperature sensor. Is there something similar for the oil pressure sensor?

Is it possibly that a bad ground is causing the high reading? It is not far from pegging the meter.

Thanks,

Steve

My oil guage is completely worthless as are many other peoples. There is a 99% chance that it is just the guage showing a bad reading and everything else is fine.

My 325 Monsoon runs between 60 & 70 on the gauge. Seems to be higher right after an oil change and then drop down over the 50 hour interval.

Idle is 30ish rising to 60 odd at 3,000 revs. Occasionally the gauge will freak me out & I shut the motor down to check levels. Restart gingerly & find nothing wrong.

Check what sending unit was put in the new motor? A sender unit and gauge are to be matched. I.E. if one unit is to move .11" and =50psi and another one is to move .16" to = 50psi. this could change what the gauge is reading.

Or just stop being a Baby.gif and live with it. J/K ;)

You would think that a high psi would be good. NOT so good if to high.

If you use cheap or lower costing filters and have high oil psi it will or may exspand the filter. The seam on the gasket side will come apart and start leaking.

I know this first hand because on the ford crown vics, we were using car quest oil filters. After like 1000 miles the filter would start showing signs of leaking. We know use oem with no problem.

Did you have the engine built for you? They may have put a high pressure pump in it where 70 psi is correct. When I was involved in racing, our HP pump put out 70 psi. Call the engine builder to verify.

Edited by Sunsetter95

It is just a new HH 380 to replace the one that wasn't doing so well :-). The old one made it to 45 hrs but never did sound quite right.

The new one sounds fine.

Thanks for all the input.

/Steve

• 3 months later...

I know it has been awhile since the last post on this topic, but I just changed my oil, and noted my oil pressure on my 05 Vride to be really high. It sits at about 60-70 now when I am cruising and 40ish when idle. I called the dealer and they said that is pretty normal and not a big concern. I think the post about higher oil pressure after an oil change was dead on.

The guage could just be off. If you really wanna know what the oil pressure is, I would, you can buy a 't' at a Napa, and t- off the oil pressure switch. Add a quality oil pressure guage to the open spot and very what the pressure is.

I was having oil p guage issues and thats what I wound up doing. My dash guage is off by about 7-10 psi from what the mechanical guage was reading.