Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu 24 MXZ

Charmaine

Where can I find a sketch of where the ballast tanks are situated on the above boat - this is for the buoyancy certificate (required by law)

Can anyone tell me where can I find a sketch of where the ballast tanks are situated on the Malibu 2 MXZ.

Also, is there a simple calculation on how to work out the percentage buoyancy for a specific boat?

The Malibu website shows a CGI animation of the tank locations if memory serves be right.  I'd start there, but generally speaking, there are hard tanks on the port and starboard sides of the engine compartment, a midship tank that's in front of the fuel tank between the driver and observer seat, and a bow tank under the bow seating.  There are options for PNP bags on top of the aft tanks on the port and starboard sides of the engine compartment.

8 minutes ago, Slayer said:

The Malibu website shows a CGI animation of the tank locations if memory serves be right.  I'd start there, but generally speaking, there are hard tanks on the port and starboard sides of the engine compartment, a midship tank that's in front of the fuel tank between the driver and observer seat, and a bow tank under the bow seating.  There are options for PNP bags on top of the aft tanks on the port and starboard sides of the engine compartment.

Thank you!!

On 7/7/2021 at 7:10 AM, Charmaine said:

Can anyone tell me where can I find a sketch of where the ballast tanks are situated on the Malibu 2 MXZ.

Also, is there a simple calculation on how to work out the percentage buoyancy for a specific boat?

South Africa has apparently not made it easy to import a boat.  They don't define the boat classes (Category A, B, etc.) very well in the documents that I read.  Which category does your boat fall under?  Do they actually stop you and ask to see the certificate?

The examples given in SAMSA Notice 8 (https://boatingsouthafrica.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/marine-notice-8-of-2012.pdf) are the simple calculations.  The basic idea is that you need to calculate the displacement of all the foam in the boat and divide that by the "deadweight" of the boat, which is the total weight of the boat with all of the fuel, gear, and people aboard.  Working in metric can help since one liter displaces one kilogram of water (well, a bit less since the foam itself has weight; use 0.95 kilograms per liter).  If working in English (US) units, assume 60 pounds per cubic foot of foam.  I would add any floatation from PFDs to the number since your "deadweight" calculation includes people who would be positively floating if they had a PFD.

So assuming that your 24 MXZ weighs 9,000 pounds loaded with everything but people and you have ten people on board at 160 pounds each, you end up with 10,600 pounds "deadweight" in that case.  If your requirements are 30% flotation, that means you need 10,600 * 0.30 = 3,180 pounds of flotation, or 3,180 / 60 = 53 cubic feet of foam.  Again, I think that PFDs should count in that number since they add the people in the total weight.

I suspect that your best bet is to contact Malibu directly for help since they know the locations, density, and volume of any foam used in the boat.  They may be able to provide you with a sketch of the locations to use in your certificate.  I think that US Coast Guard requirements are fairly lax for boats over 20 feet since they have no flotation requirement at all