Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Relay - 2016 LSV

The boat has had the power wedge relay replaced over the winter as a part of warranty claim. However, over the weekend when we would just start using the boat it would state that wedge needs calibration. After digging through interweb and my knowledge I was able to track it down to the fact that the power wedge relay kept popping. However, once flipped it back into position the wedge would work with out issue. Any ideas on what could be causing the relay switch to flip? 

IMG_4741.jpeg

12 hours ago, csleaver said:

A loose connection on the power wedge circuit would be the most likely cause of the breaker tripping.

Sorry for my ignorance but is this circuit by the breaker or at the wedge?

The circuit goes from the actuator to the connector inside the boat, to the relay pack on the transom, to the block ground at the starter, to the negative ground terminal on the battery along the ground path.  It goes from the actuator to the connector in the boat, to the relay pack, to the port breaker, to the power post near the port transmission mount, to the battery switch, to the battery positive terminal along the power path.  I would recommend checking all of those connections and see if there is a loose connection or wire causing a voltage drop.  There could also be a faulty component causing the problem.

There is a secondary circuit from the I/O module to the relay pack that energizes the relays and causes the motor circuit to reverse polarity that is not directly associated with the main power wedge actuator circuit, but does make it function correctly.

• Like 1

If the power wedge actuator continues to run after it is fully deployed it can cause the breaker to trip.  The wedge sensor on the power wedge bracket sends a voltage signal to the I/O module so it will stop energizing the relays when the wedge is all the way down.

If you go to the settings page on the right hand touch screen and select Debug Assist it will show you the wedge position and voltage data from the I/O module and sensor.  In the full down/lift position the wedge position should be at 0 to 1 and the sensor voltage should be 0.50 to 0.54 volts.  If the sensor voltage is too low the Check Wedge Cal alarm will occur.  If it is too high the wedge will continue to try to deploy until the breaker trips (or until you adjust the wedge position with the controls) and will also cause a Check Wedge Cal alarm.  The Debug Assist screen will also allow you to move the wedge using the + and - icons.  Each time you touch the icon the wedge will move a little bit.

The wedge sensor can be adjusted by loosening the two screws on it and then turning it clockwise or counter clockwise.  It is very sensitive.  The magnetic sensor bolt under the sensor must be secure for the adjustments to work properly.

• Like 1