Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SPN 4237 – FMI 1 – Adaptive Learn Low Bank 1

Hi All,

I'm a new Malibu owner of a 2020 22 LSV, bought boat new at dealer last fall and have 20 hours on it so far.  Last weekend a fault code came up on the engine alarm:

SPN 4237 – FMI 1 – Adaptive Learn Low Bank 1 - could the below be the reason of the following issues (running rich):

·        Bad O2 sensor in exhaust

·        Stuck open fuel injector

·        High fuel pressure

The engine diagnostics shows fuel pressure @ 57 psig, I have read 42-45 is normal?  What should it be?

The fault is no longer active so maybe just a fluke?

Also, my wedge suddenly does not  auto deploy with the preset for wakesurfing "3".  It did in the past but last weekend just sat in the "lift" position without moving to "3" once under way, any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

8 hours ago, kmw072671 said:

The engine diagnostics shows fuel pressure @ 57 psig, I have read 42-45 is normal?  What should it be?

The newer engines are 4 Bar (58.8 PSI) systems, so your pressure is probably OK.

• 4 weeks later...

Same here on my 2021 22LSV. It only happens at low speed. When i turn the engine off and on again everything is fine again. Any idea what it is? 

Same here on the low left bank.....  Spent the past year with getting check engine lights and cutting my power.  Several software updates (most recently last month) and it seems pretty stable for now.  Also had a bad fuel pump replaced last fall.  First year M5Di engine problems I guess?

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, h2oskijeff said:

Hi, same just happened 2021 TXI M6DI.  Any resolution to this problem?

thanks

Welcome to the crew.

It could be caused by any of several possible things, including bad O2 sensor, pressure regulator, fuel pump, injector, etc.  As mentioned above, they also had a software update that solved it for some folks.  Your dealer would be a great place to start your diagnosis if it is under warranty.

The first, and easiest, thing to do is to check if the engine ground cables at the bell housing are clean and tight.  The main battery and ECM grounds are on the port side bell housing stud (on a vdrive) and there is another ground stud on the starboard side.

Swapping the starboard and port pre-cat UEGO (O2) sensors from one side to the other can help narrow down if there is a sensor issue as opposed to a possible wiring, injector, or fuel pressure problem.

• 2 years later...
LouisianaAxis

Had this same error "SPN 4237 – FMI 1 – Adaptive Learn Low Bank 1"

This was also causing another fault for "misfire detected on cylinder 2".

My boat is 2017 Axis A22 with PCM 6.0 409 motor in it (Same motor as a 2013 Chevy 2500)

FIX was cleaning the fuel injectors. (I replaced the spark plugs, and oxygen sensors already since dealing with the fuel rail system is kind of a pain).

To clean the injectors, there are 2 8mm bolts that hold each side of the fuel rails down (Can see the fuel rails on each side on top of the motor).

Take the 8mm bolts out, and just pull on the fuel rail (kinda hard) and it pops out.  O-rings holding it in there.

Make sure if you do this to go to Autozone or Oreillys and get more O-rings cause youre probably going to lose some like I did.

For the O-rings, tell the auto part store you need them for a 2013 chevy 2500 fuel injectors and it's the identical part.

I cleaned the injectors with carb cleaner (can do with brake cleaner but it eats up the o-rings, make sure to put a little bit of oil on them if you use brake cleaner).

All this was caused from some bad gas I had, Malibu does NOT put a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the motor which I think is dumb, so Im installing one myself now to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by LouisianaAxis
16 hours ago, LouisianaAxis said:

All this was caused from some bad gas I had, Malibu does NOT put a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the motor which I think is dumb, so Im installing one myself now to prevent this from happening again.

The filters are on the bottom of the fuel pump module.

2 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

The filters are on the bottom of the fuel pump module.

Yeah, pretty much any modern fuel injected engine has the filter in the tank with the pump - whether it is cars, trucks, boats or motorcycles.

Edited by oldjeep

All of the modern Malibu marinized motors(LT, M56, M5) have an external fuel filter mounted in a canister on the port side of the boat. Canister is right above the bright red piece

image.thumb.png.419577c48059e8be103338a6024c309c.png

3 hours ago, JeffK said:

All of the modern Malibu marinized motors(LT, M56, M5) have an external fuel filter mounted in a canister on the port side of the boat. Canister is right above the bright red piece

image.thumb.png.419577c48059e8be103338a6024c309c.png

Malibu - gone retro.  Of what possible use is a post fuel pump filter in a high pressure system?

13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Malibu - gone retro.  Of what possible use is a post fuel pump filter in a high pressure system?

Not really sure. I can fix 'em and make 'em run, but design is a little above my pay grade. Would the fact that they are DI have anything to do with it? Would the fuel rail on an EFI change the need?

2 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Would the fact that they are DI have anything to do with it? 

Not unless the DI pump is after that filter. And I'll admit that the only DI engines I worked on are Kias, and the DI pump is mechanical right before the fuel rail.

Edited by oldjeep
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Not unless the DI pump is after that filter.

Pump is in the tank. The filter placement doesn't afford protection for the injectors? 

3 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Pump is in the tank. The filter placement doesn't afford protection for the injectors? 

Sure, but typically the filter would be in tank to protect the pump too.

dizzygti
12 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Sure, but typically the filter would be in tank to protect the pump too.

There are filters in the tank, and the filter being discussed between the tank and fuel rails.    I haven't dug around enough, is the DI pump not camshaft driven?    It does seem pointless to filter the filtered fuel again, but tolerances on these high pressure systems are tight.   

9 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

There are filters in the tank, and the filter being discussed between the tank and fuel rails.    I haven't dug around enough, is the DI pump not camshaft driven?    It does seem pointless to filter the filtered fuel again, but tolerances on these high pressure systems are tight.   

The DI pump on a Kia is engine driven, couldn't tell you on a chev

dizzygti
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The DI pump on a Kia is engine driven, couldn't tell you on a chev

That's why I asked, I assume all DI pumps are engine/camshaft driven.