Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rubbery feelling substance removal around swim platform brackets new 2021

We have a new 2021 Axis and where the swim platform brackets attach to the transom of the boat there is a rubbery feeling material. I'm guessing its some "sealant" that was used when the brackets were placed for the swim platform. YOu can feel it when you run your finger across the gelcoat near the brackets of the swim platform.

Any suggestions on how to remove this?

Goo gone and elbow grease. I also used a composite plastic putty knife that came with my keel guard with great success. Let it sit for a bit after you apply it to allow it to do its magic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "sealant" is sealant, and is there to prevent water intrusion through the bolt holes.  Ignoring it is a great course of action, especially since it is under the platform.  If they did a messy job and you just can't stand it, I think it might be better to carefully cut it free with a knife.  Careful use of a blade will allow you to shave it away without damaging the gel coat.  Using a solvent that has any effect on the sealant will weaken it, which might then allow water to penetrate.

If you want true horror, check under the boat where the rudder, strut, and tracking fins are bolted to the boat.  The sealant is probably proud there, too.  Resist the urge to make it pretty.

Is this something you can ask your dealer to address the next time you have it in for service?

4 minutes ago, justgary said:

The "sealant" is sealant, and is there to prevent water intrusion through the bolt holes.  Ignoring it is a great course of action, especially since it is under the platform.  If they did a messy job and you just can't stand it, I think it might be better to carefully cut it free with a knife.  Careful use of a blade will allow you to shave it away without damaging the gel coat.  Using a solvent that has any effect on the sealant will weaken it, which might then allow water to penetrate.

If you want true horror, check under the boat where the rudder, strut, and tracking fins are bolted to the boat.  The sealant is probably proud there, too.  Resist the urge to make it pretty.

Is this something you can ask your dealer to address the next time you have it in for service?

I wanted to clean up some of it that is 3-4 inches away from the bracket. Not on the bracket area itself. Just feels like some excess got wiped across an area of the transom.

15 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

I wanted to clean up some of it that is 3-4 inches away from the bracket. Not on the bracket area itself. Just feels like some excess got wiped across an area of the transom.

I see.  Go for it with any solvent you are comfortable with.  Gasoline is cheap and pretty good at removing many sealants, so you might want to try that first if you don't already have something else lying around.  Remember that any solvent you use is very likely to remove wax or other protective coatings from your gel coat.

20 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

I've been meaning to address this as well. You can't really see it, but every time I wipe down my boat I feel it smeared randomly on the exhaust and wedge. LOL

55 minutes ago, G Spot said:

I've been meaning to address this as well. You can't really see it, but every time I wipe down my boat I feel it smeared randomly on the exhaust and wedge. LOL

I too have been meaning to address this.  For me it's an out of sight out of mind thing.  That and I can't access that area of the boat very well when it's on the hoist.  It's not excessive on my boat by any means.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I too have been meaning to address this.  For me it's an out of sight out of mind thing.  That and I can't access that area of the boat very well when it's on the hoist.  It's not excessive on my boat by any means.  

When my boat was sprayed it was sprayed with the wrong colors on the hull accents. This just happens to be where the wedge, lights, surf gates, drain plug, through hull compression fittings… you see where I am going with this. Anyway, I had a lot of goo to clean off after everything was reinstalled the second time.