Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T23 steering

Msudogs93

Msudogs93

I have a t23. When surfing steering is difficult.  Is that common?  I drove a mastercraft and it was much easier  

Is it pulling while surfing?

If so does your rudder have an adjustment tab?  May need to be trimmed up so it doesn’t pull so much. Our 2019 a22 pulled hard initially, but our dealer adjusted the rudder tab and it was much better but still had to fight the wheel a bit.

Our a24 tracks straight with the larger rudder. No pulling against the wheel. 

Msudogs93

It’s just real tight and pulls against you a little while surf gate is out.  When the gate first opens, and absolute fight to keep it on track 

granddaddy55
16 hours ago, Msudogs93 said:

It’s just real tight and pulls against you a little while surf gate is out.  When the gate first opens, and absolute fight to keep it on track 

if you list the boat heavily bow and stern and it doesn't get much better your rudder or cable need adjustment or fixing 

• 2 weeks later...

Its the result of the surfgate. You should notice that its (more) difficult to steer in the direction that the surfer is on.  This is because the gate is acting like an anchor on the opposite side.  What you are experiencing when the gate deploys is common also.  Think about the mechanics of whats actually happening and it makes perfect sense.  I converted to hydraulic steering at the beginning of this season.  Even with hydro, its still resistant to turning into the surf direction.  I can now turn into the surf side alot easier, but the resistance is still there. 

The reason the MC drives different is because they use tabs instead of gates.  The tabs (simplistically) list (roll) the boat to one side or the other.

Getting the nose down will help as well.  I run a light crew. 750 lb PNP in the rear.  My bow has a Fatsac under the cushion.  I also put a Wakemaker triangle sac on top of the cushion and fill it with a Tsunami pump.  In total, its an easy 700lbs on the bow. 

All of what you just said made perfect sense. You described my issue and I see what you are saying about the MC.  Thank you