Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 22 MXZ

Sportrx903

Hey all,

My wife and I put a deposit down on a used 2016 22 MXZ. We have been out of the boating world since 2017 and our last boat was a 2006 Mastercraft X-Star. With the old X-Star I remember thinking it didn't surf all that well and am wondering if I should expect any significant improvement over our old boat. We are not talented riders and are more just casual family boaters though i would like to get good at surfing at some point. Any thoughts on the 22 MXZ for 2016? I am wanting to hear opinions and personal experiences before we lay down a large chunk of money on this boat.

They did a redesign of the 22 MXZ in 2017.  If you are looking to surf I'd be looking for a 2017+.

2016 is also the year of the "loud" Raptor. Engine box not as well insulated in '16.

Edited by Sixer
  • Like 2

Thanks to you both! Luckily this one has the monsoon 410. Main reason we have the interest in the 2016 is price point. Is the 2016 still considered a good surf boat? Or does it have a bad reputation for surfing in general?

I'm not so much concerned with comparing to the new models as I know we couldn't afford them anyways. Is this boat something amateurs would be content with?

2 minutes ago, Sportrx903 said:

Thanks to you both! Luckily this one has the monsoon 410. Main reason we have the interest in the 2016 is price point. Is the 2016 still considered a good surf boat? Or does it have a bad reputation for surfing in general?

I'm not so much concerned with comparing to the new models as I know we couldn't afford them anyways. Is this boat something amateurs would be content with?

I have a 14 (same hull).  The 17+ hull is better for surfing, but the 14 is good.  We wakeboard 99% of the time, but I am content with it.  I can spin 360s on my crappy surf board all day and have even managed to do a transfer.

• Like 2

Yea, the 17 was a great improvement but you should be happy with the 16 overall from your MC.  FYI, the Monsoon 410 is the "Raptor" (Ford 6.2L block).  Malibu continued to use the Monsoon moniker even thought others like Supra openly used some Raptor badging.   Indmar supplied them.  It is a great engine overall, but folks complained of it being louder than the previous offerings.   Mechanically it performs well though with the only known issue I can recall was some folks having problems burning up CATS on them. 

11 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Yea, the 17 was a great improvement but you should be happy with the 16 overall from your MC.  FYI, the Monsoon 410 is the "Raptor" (Ford 6.2L block).  Malibu continued to use the Monsoon moniker even thought others like Supra openly used some Raptor badging.   Indmar supplied them.  It is a great engine overall, but folks complained of it being louder than the previous offerings.   Mechanically it performs well though with the only known issue I can recall was some folks having problems burning up CATS on them. 

12 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

I have a 14 (same hull).  The 17+ hull is better for surfing, but the 14 is good.  We wakeboard 99% of the time, but I am content with it.  I can spin 360s on my crappy surf board all day and have even managed to do a transfer.

Thank you both for the great info. That is the type of stuff I'm looking for!! We have our test drive tomorrow so we'll see how it goes!