Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spend my money!

ThinBuLine

Looking for ideas to store both my 5th wheel and new-used boat. Boat is  2000 23 escape wakesetter and 5th wheel is 31ft tip to tip. Obviously being able to park the truck out of the weather would be a plus too!

budget is 15,000-18,000. Not enough for a garage I know but want to keep the so cal sun off of the toys. 

I have plenty of land and dirt for concrete or whatever else but just curious on what ideas the crew might have. Spend my money!

B8EF6337-2AD7-4690-89DC-FF0C8AF9C438.jpeg

33CD77FB-D73C-4095-93D7-C2EC413ADB2B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, justgary said:

Can you build a pole barn for $18,000 these days?  Without sides, perhaps.

I have no clue what the going rates are. I feel like 18,000 for a pole barn with no sides is crazy for some sheet metal and galvanized posts... 

martinarcher

Some rough costs from my post frame garage build...it ended up costing me MUCH more than I expected and lumber was just starting to get stupid.  (broke ground last Aug).  72x36 dimension with 14 foot ceilings and a 4 foot front overhang.

-Trusses $6000

-Concrete for the floor $6200

-Rough cut 6x6 posts roof perlins - $1700

-Concrete pillars for the posts to sit on and strong tie braces to mount them to the concrete (optional - I didn't want wood contacting the ground at all.  If I would have skipped this step I would have used laminated posts with treated bottom which would have easily added this cost to the posts).  $1800

-Metal roof - $5000

-Seamless gutters and downspouts -$700

-Gravel - $3000

That's bare minimum with no metal on the outside or framing for walls.  I started adding lots to it while we put it up (windows and man doors, radiant heat, electrical, 5 garage doors, openers, metal ceiling and interior walls, foam wrap, Tyvek, insulation, etc) and a building that size with todays costs will unfortunately approach six figure costs rapidly when all said and done.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
4 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Some rough costs from my post frame garage build...it ended up costing me MUCH more than I expected and lumber was just starting to get stupid.  (broke ground last Aug).  72x36 dimension with 14 foot ceilings and a 4 foot front overhang.

-Trusses $6000

-Concrete for the floor $6200

-Rough cut 6x6 posts roof perlins - $1700

-Concrete pillars for the posts to sit on and strong tie braces to mount them to the concrete (optional - I didn't want wood contacting the ground at all.  If I would have skipped this step I would have used laminated posts with treated bottom which would have easily added this cost to the posts).  $1800

-Metal roof - $5000

-Seamless gutters and downspouts -$700

-Gravel - $3000

That's bare minimum with no metal on the outside or framing for walls.  I started adding lots to it while we put it up (windows and man doors, radiant heat, electrical, 5 garage doors, openers, metal ceiling and interior walls, foam wrap, Tyvek, insulation, etc) and a building that size with todays costs will unfortunately approach six figure costs rapidly when all said and done.

Holy sticker shock Batman....

over 100k to protect 50k in toys? Prices these days seem ridiculous in just about everything. 

Looks like I’m going to have to up my budget...

• Like 1
martinarcher

Yeah, I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news but I've been there in the past year and wanted to give you fair warning.  I budgeted $60k for my building and as the scope creep of options kept adding (its easy to say, "why not add this while we're here"), more so the rise of the cost of materials kept hurting us.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

Looks like I’m going to have to up my budget...

Put me in the club of thinking it's a bad idea to build on your lateral lines. Code here, though they are not 9 feet down... which sounds crazy deep... is no building within 25 feet in any direction. How do you know they are 9 feet down? A quick google says 5 feet down max in Cali for lateral lines. Not that that is true in your area, I guess I'm saying you should confirm how deep they are. 

Price? Yeah, $18k wont get you much now for sure. Concrete is $130 per yard and the finish guys want ~$9 a square foot to finish here in Kansas. Depending on how many square feet your planning... the floor will take a good chunk of that budget if you go concrete. 

Going the permit route is really to protect you from getting screwed by whoever is doing the work. If you're going to pay someone to do this, it's cheap insurance to prevent them leaving you with a crappy project. Yeah, paying the man $900 a year sucks... sounds like you have a nice truck!

8 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Wait... you were the one talking about building on your lateral lines right? Different thread? 

You are correct.

I was talking about building on my leech lines. They are 9 feet down according to my septic company that came out and inspected/pumped. 

the pipe shown in the picture was just a quick dump addition for the trailer when we got back from dry camping. Makes life way nicer when coming home from a trip to not have to stop to dump somewhere. 

just trying to figure out a way to protect the toys from the harsh sun. Doesn’t have to be a no steroid garage, just some sort of shade structure would do. Seeing if there are options I havnt thought about. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

Do you know if he installed it?

He had it done, I think that elephant structure place setup the install too.

8 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

He had it done, I think that elephant structure place setup the install too.

Thanks for the info

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Got ya. Check out elephant structures then, https://www.elephantstructures.com/metal-buildings/carports/. A guy down the street put one up on his property for pretty cheap I think. Under $10k with 2 sides and 2 parking spots. Up in a day.

I wonder if I can get one of those with a 160 MPH wind rating... asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1