Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 23lsv ballast pump questions

I had the starboard fill pump stop working this weekend. Boat stays on a lift 300 miles from home so I don’t want to pull them out and have the lift fail. I bought 2 piranha cartridges and new rocker switch and breaker that are on way...but for testing I swapped the leads on the fill and empty switch and still nothing. I cut the brown and black wires and checked for power and never got any. The resettable breaker isnt tripped and I assume it powers both the fill and empty pumps on that circuit. Are there relays for those pumps or did I lose a power wire or ground? Anyone have a wire diagram? Pumps I’m looking at are below the rear seat on either side of the vdrive. 

formulaben

Check for power again but put the negative onto the engine block ground terminal or a battery negative terminal.  If you then get power, then you know it's the ground.  I'd then check the ground bus bar under the helm area.  I had the exact same thing happen and a loose ground screw was the culprit.

Thanks for the help I’ll check the buss and go ahead and replace both pumps. Are there any relays or do they power direct from switch?

formulaben

Mine had no relays, and I presume your model doesn't have them too, but I could be wrong.  Not sure why you want to replace both pumps right now, but if they are original then it might not be a bad idea as part of a preventive maintenance schedule...but a bad ground might be the only problem at the moment.

Yes but at one point I could feel tad bit of vibration almost like a pump had removed it’s impeller. With the boat that far away I’d just like to replace them and one less maintenance item.