Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

27lsv confirmed 2023

The Hulk

On 7/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, The Hulk said:

when it comes to midwest LAKES (Not costal & excluding the Great Lakes) there is just a crazy amount of lakefront property and dock owners who DO NOT trailer. As you move to the central belt of the country reservoir land the lakes are further apart, however they tend to be larger with way more shore-line mileage. as yo go down south its a mix or reservoir and larger lakes. 

the notion the market isnt there for a 27ft wake boat is goofy. No offense but i think the 0.00001% of boaters who are on this forum have a skewed view of the boating market as a whole and its sectors. Trailering is a thing of the past or is the minority way in areas which allow for private residence/homes/docks etc.. Yes i know there are areas where its not allowed and obviously trailing is the only way. my point is as a whole the market for folks who DO NOT TRAILER is astronomical. 

if you look at the stats of boating/types of boats from 2011 data to now its changing rapidly. Consider that pontoons were only in the 4-7% range and now are taking the industry by storm. heck now you see them everywhere in coastal FL waters now too! 

if your wondering where i get my data well it was in my best interest to know or get all addresses of people with waterfront homes. I only cared about those who have waterfront property with a dock, not the house across the street, or folks who trailer.  Yes you can buy boaters marketing list all day long but they are 100% worthless. I built a software platform 8+yrs ago that would allow me to get all addresses of anyone touching the water anywhere. The program sectors off the entire world in roughly 2*2 mile blocks. Workers can log in and only work within one region and click on all the homes. The software will then reverse geo-code all those addresses and spit them out. You can go back in select all regions in an area or on a lake for instance and spit out all the addresses. Powerful thing if your a dealership for instance and want to send a mailer to everyone on your lake or sales region.. granted the intent of the software was a bit old school back then as the internet and paid search was barely getting started and direct mail was still popular. Some snapshots below *yes i know some are in FL, coastal some are lakes but just for showing how it works and you can start to grasp the size & amount of folks who have property & docks on waterfront.  A simple google satellite will do the same but i doubt many folks spend hours doing such things. 

So what have i learned?.... well you cant imagine the amount of waterfront homes/docks and the vast majority of those folks DO NOT TRAILER on regular basis. The market size amazes me frankly. after doing this for countless hours you may wonder if anyone still trailers a boat other than in/out for the year. (joking).  The boating companies are narrow minded if they are thinking water-sports like surfing should be limited to average joe trailer sizes. 

Anyhow it was a nifty little program. Its still useful in certain areas when marketing items that folks are not searching on the web for because they dont know such things exist. 

Long story short, the market size for a 27lsv is larger than most people on this site know. 

FL1.JPG

FL2.JPG

IN-view-2.JPG

VA-Waterfront-1.JPG

VA-Waterfront-2.JPG

VA-Waterfront-3.JPG

Waterfront Address 1.JPG

Thousands of docks on Lake Minnetonka in MN.  I know a lot of people who don't even own a trailer for their inboard.  MN Inboard could sell the crap out of a 27' surf boat.

2 hours ago, RoverOn said:

Thousands of docks on Lake Minnetonka in MN.  I know a lot of people who don't even own a trailer for their inboard.  MN Inboard could sell the crap out of a 27' surf boat.

Exactly and that's just one lake in MN, .. add the other high dollar lakes around the country and the 27 will be just another norm..

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 11:54 PM, ZephyrBlueBu said:

Got the 2022 25 LSV weighed today. Weight on trailer is 8,800 lbs with full tank (103 gallons), G5 tower, and not an ounce of gear. Sitting on a tandem axle trailer with the new standard 15” wheels. 

3/4 ton ordered! I could easily pull the 27 LSV with the F250 6.7L diesel. 

316FCEBB-6074-4F45-9B6B-9BCDCF2350B5.jpeg

F3B3E081-5C73-44B7-BFDE-B6FD4D0A4144.jpeg

The 25 gets taller and taller and apears/looks shorter.. the stretched 27 will be perfect! 

Based on above the Ecoboost f150 will have the 27 covered for short pull in and out.. but i plan to tell the wife a 250 is necessary

• Like 1
On 7/21/2021 at 2:26 PM, CBray4 said:

Here's a thought I had while reading this thread. 

Now that Malibu bought Cobalt, could they be seeing the benefits of this larger surf boat market? Surfing is taking the water sports industry by storm. They are now making large I/O's that surf. Could Malibu be wanting to share that market with it's counter part? The 27LSV could break into that market a little bit. Someone else said it but it could win over those I/O people that need the large boat comfort aspect but with a more "surf-centered" performance aspect. Just a thought. 

I personally don't ever want to have more than 10-12 people in our boat. But having 10-12 people in a 27ft boat would be better than having them in our A24 I guess. We trailer twice a year. We have a 30ft slip and a 8,000lb lift. Technically it would work but realistically it would never happen. Unless I win the lottery of course, or I get adopted into @The Hulk's family. 

Also, @cowwboy, your twin engine suggestion for the 27LSV is a very smart option IMO. 

We put two families regularly this summer in a 22LSV and never thought there were space issues. Not sure how 6 people would feel too cramped in a 25LSV. 

Surfing behind an I/O sounds pretty sketchy considering the propeller is exposed right there in the back. Though I can’t imagine, even with surf gates, that a day cruiser would ever compare to a boat designed from the ground up for wake performance. I will say that if they started utilizing counter-rotating props, it would likely make surfing much more fuel efficient. 

I didn’t know that COBALT’s were made in Kansas. I thought they were a Tahoe thing. Everyone up there seems to have one. The dock hands like to joke that it stands for Can Operate Boat At Lake Tahoe. 

26 minutes ago, tn_rider said:

A quick patent/trademark search shows nothing about a 27LSV. This is a pipe dream.

Why is a patent or trade mark needed? It's a longer version.. near pointless.. is someone going to go start a new boat line called a 27lsv that's not Malibu?.. yeah your right I may have to.. 😂

On 8/21/2021 at 9:54 PM, ZephyrBlueBu said:

Got the 2022 25 LSV weighed today. Weight on trailer is 8,800 lbs with full tank (103 gallons), G5 tower, and not an ounce of gear. Sitting on a tandem axle trailer with the new standard 15” wheels. 

3/4 ton ordered! I could easily pull the 27 LSV with the F250 6.7L diesel. 

316FCEBB-6074-4F45-9B6B-9BCDCF2350B5.jpeg

F3B3E081-5C73-44B7-BFDE-B6FD4D0A4144.jpeg

That is 2200 pounds per tire, minus whatever is on the tongue.  Any idea what the tongue weight is if you have it perfectly level?  Many recommend 10%, so if it is 800 pounds, that is still at 2000 pounds per tire.  It is getting pretty close to the max rating of most 15 inch tires I am aware of (I think mine say 2200 pounds, but may be wrong). 

I am skeptical that both axles will have exactly the same weight on them.  It makes a triple axle seem like a sensible choice, not just for looks.  

42 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Why is a patent or trade mark needed? It's a longer version.. near pointless.. is someone going to go start a new boat line called a 27lsv that's not Malibu?.. yeah your right I may have to.. 😂

I stand corrected, mr hulk. And I’m aftraid you’re going to need to do exactly that, or buy an X26 or X80 to fit your needs. It’s not happening.

23 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

That is 2200 pounds per tire, minus whatever is on the tongue.  Any idea what the tongue weight is if you have it perfectly level?  Many recommend 10%, so if it is 800 pounds, that is still at 2000 pounds per tire.  It is getting pretty close to the max rating of most 15 inch tires I am aware of (I think mine say 2200 pounds, but may be wrong). 

I am skeptical that both axles will have exactly the same weight on them.  It makes a triple axle seem like a sensible choice, not just for looks.  

Not that we need to indulge any further the fantasy-land that this thread is borne from..... but Load Range E (3600lbs) and even F (3900lbs) tires are available.  

I rarely trailer more than 5 miles round trip.  As cool as the triple axle trailer looks that would not be a box I'd check if I was buying new.

36 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Not that we need to indulge any further the fantasy-land that this thread is borne from..... but Load Range E (3600lbs) and even F (3900lbs) tires are available.  

I rarely trailer more than 5 miles round trip.  As cool as the triple axle trailer looks that would not be a box I'd check if I was buying new.

Exactly. This thread is just a hope that Malibu will eventually build one…and as much as I’d like to see one myself. It’s not gonna happen for 4-5+ years. 

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

Actually several tire companies make load range E tires in a 15” that are rated at 2800lbs each, and there are a few that make a load range F tire rated at right at 3200.  You pay out the wazoo for them tho.   But there is options out there in the axels will handle the job. 

2 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Definitely the trailer discussion is for the folks who put it to good use.  My trailering involves 160 miles at 110 degrees in the middle of the day, so blowing a tire is something that can be more miserable than just a delay of game penalty.  

42 minutes ago, Surfbeast21 said:

Actually several tire companies make load range E tires in a 15” that are rated at 2800lbs each, and there are a few that make a load range F tire rated at right at 3200.  You pay out the wazoo for them tho.   But there is options out there in the axels will handle the job. 

Excellent.  I found this one for $150 per tire, so pricey, but I have seen worse.  I just paid $130 for a 2200 pound tire, so not so bad.  Thank you for the insight.  I would be willing to make a small wager that Malibu did not choose one of those tires for the trailer, although I hope they did.  

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZKJBhC0ARIsAJ96n3VM8YkbPM-3MAT35CwDgsEp6QATwbWeHt5FvpVeuIzT_OecF5nephUaAq1wEALw_wcB&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance&partnum=275NR5END&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Goodyear_Endurance_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwsZKJBhC0ARIsAJ96n3VM8YkbPM-3MAT35CwDgsEp6QATwbWeHt5FvpVeuIzT_OecF5nephUaAq1wEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322456933!!!g!99873152413!&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, tn_rider said:

Exactly. This thread is just a hope that Malibu will eventually build one…and as much as I’d like to see one myself. It’s not gonna happen for 4-5+ years. 

I can’t decide if this thread is the equivalent of a message board hypothetical sports trade proposal or creating a bunch of smoke to hope someone starts a fire…

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Fffrank said:

After a blow out towing the skidsteer trackloader class E..I replaced all with class G. The G tires (4500# 110psi) state on the sidewall..."REGROVABLE"

Towing home from the lake. was helping out a buddy with some drainage issues.... Oh well....at least I didn't have to bust out the floor jack I always carry with me.

zf6bWXl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, The Hulk said:

The 25 gets taller and taller and apears/looks shorter.. the stretched 27 will be perfect! 

Based on above the Ecoboost f150 will have the 27 covered for short pull in and out.. but i plan to tell the wife a 250 is necessary

I was secretly happy when I saw the weight ticket….. I knew that she would agree that safety was our #1 priority and give the green light for the F250! 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Definitely the trailer discussion is for the folks who put it to good use.  My trailering involves 160 miles at 110 degrees in the middle of the day, so blowing a tire is something that can be more miserable than just a delay of game penalty.  

Excellent.  I found this one for $150 per tire, so pricey, but I have seen worse.  I just paid $130 for a 2200 pound tire, so not so bad.  Thank you for the insight.  I would be willing to make a small wager that Malibu did not choose one of those tires for the trailer, although I hope they did.  

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZKJBhC0ARIsAJ96n3VM8YkbPM-3MAT35CwDgsEp6QATwbWeHt5FvpVeuIzT_OecF5nephUaAq1wEALw_wcB&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance&partnum=275NR5END&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Goodyear_Endurance_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwsZKJBhC0ARIsAJ96n3VM8YkbPM-3MAT35CwDgsEp6QATwbWeHt5FvpVeuIzT_OecF5nephUaAq1wEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322456933!!!g!99873152413!&gclsrc=aw.ds

Could be another option cheaper:

https://amzn.to/38dOH0Q

Reviews are pretty dang solid on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-WINDA-Trailer-Tires-Featured/product-reviews/B01MD2C4QI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Added reviews
12 hours ago, BarliBear said:

I can’t decide if this thread is the equivalent of a message board hypothetical sports trade proposal or creating a bunch of smoke to hope someone starts a fire…

spacer.png

It’s a pretty standard TMC thread. Myths rainbows and unicorn farts.  With an occasional golden nugget.  But not often 🤣🤣

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Don't forget, Moomba totally ripped off the LSV name for a while........

With MC and Centurion in the +25' space, I am surprised Malibu isn't thinking they should be getting their share of this market as well.  

• Like 3
On 8/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, BarliBear said:

Surfing behind an I/O sounds pretty sketchy considering the propeller is exposed right there in the back. Though I can’t imagine, even with surf gates, that a day cruiser would ever compare to a boat designed from the ground up for wake performance. I will say that if they started utilizing counter-rotating props, it would likely make surfing much more fuel efficient. 

I didn’t know that COBALT’s were made in Kansas. I thought they were a Tahoe thing. Everyone up there seems to have one. The dock hands like to joke that it stands for Can Operate Boat At Lake Tahoe. 

There is a reverse I/O many are using now that puts the prop further under the boat.   Malibu owns Cobalt now and their new surf series I would imagine were designed in conjunction with Malibu engineers, and feature Surfgate.    I haven't been behind a new one, but imagine the I/O boats are closing in on dedicated wakeboard.  I did surf the previous generation of Cobalt which was pre-Malibu and utilized tabs instead.   Surfgate is also licensed to Chapparral, but I would guess when the licensing agreement expires you won't see that any more now that Malibu owns Cobalt.  

9 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

With MC and Centurion in the +25' space, I am surprised Malibu isn't thinking they should be getting their share of this market as well.  

And pavati only makes a boat 26+ currently. They always had the AL 24 as coming soon although seems they never made it? My guess is the cost is near identical so why buy a tiny 24 footer?

5 hours ago, hethj7 said:

There is a reverse I/O many are using now that puts the prop further under the boat.   Malibu owns Cobalt now and their new surf series I would imagine were designed in conjunction with Malibu engineers, and feature Surfgate.    I haven't been behind a new one, but imagine the I/O boats are closing in on dedicated wakeboard.  I did surf the previous generation of Cobalt which was pre-Malibu and utilized tabs instead.   Surfgate is also licensed to Chapparral, but I would guess when the licensing agreement expires you won't see that any more now that Malibu owns Cobalt.  

They need to put SG on the larger units already.. and perhaps someone could add some real ballast in these cobalts already. So much untapped potential and bags in the boat is soooooo 2010.. maybe they don't want to because so many folks would jump ship to a comfort boat if it surfed well? 

On 8/24/2021 at 10:41 PM, ZephyrBlueBu said:

I was secretly happy when I saw the weight ticket….. I knew that she would agree that safety was our #1 priority and give the green light for the F250! 😃

So if you need a 3 pound hammer to finish a project, do you go buy a 1 pound hammer because your wife thought you didn't need a bigger hammer?  A truck is a tool, and you don't need her permission to buy what you need.  :whistle: