Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

27lsv confirmed 2023

The Hulk

yo

On 7/19/2021 at 8:32 AM, cowwboy said:

On the trailering vs lift kept aspect. 
Here in Oklahoma, our Tulsa office of the army corp is anti dock / recreation. So it is very difficult to get private dock permits. 
So there are a lot more trailered boats then in some regions. 

I personally have been keeping an eye out for an X-80 for the last year or two. I have a few friends that trailer them.

I also have a buddy looking for a mid 30' cruiser to daily trailer. FYI he also owns semi's and trailers his boat with a sport chassis type truck.

For me it would eliminate the need for two boats. 
Our lakes can get real rough quickly so a 28-30 ft boat makes life nicer, but I still want to be able to surf. 
We have been looing at sundancer 330's and even a 38 special as a go across the lake boat.

But a 28-30 TWIN engine surf boat would be ideal. 

My opinion would be have an option for twin engine like the X-80. 

Agree "generally" the west region has far fewer lakes that allow private homes/docks etc.. 

the X-80!!! awesome!

28-30ft is not even all that large on our small ponds in IN, lots of Formulas, Chappys/Balts etc.. but a twin engine surf ! now your talking! 

when it comes to midwest LAKES (Not costal & excluding the Great Lakes) there is just a crazy amount of lakefront property and dock owners who DO NOT trailer. As you move to the central belt of the country reservoir land the lakes are further apart, however they tend to be larger with way more shore-line mileage. as yo go down south its a mix or reservoir and larger lakes. 

the notion the market isnt there for a 27ft wake boat is goofy. No offense but i think the 0.00001% of boaters who are on this forum have a skewed view of the boating market as a whole and its sectors. Trailering is a thing of the past or is the minority way in areas which allow for private residence/homes/docks etc.. Yes i know there are areas where its not allowed and obviously trailing is the only way. my point is as a whole the market for folks who DO NOT TRAILER is astronomical. 

if you look at the stats of boating/types of boats from 2011 data to now its changing rapidly. Consider that pontoons were only in the 4-7% range and now are taking the industry by storm. heck now you see them everywhere in coastal FL waters now too! 

if your wondering where i get my data well it was in my best interest to know or get all addresses of people with waterfront homes. I only cared about those who have waterfront property with a dock, not the house across the street, or folks who trailer.  Yes you can buy boaters marketing list all day long but they are 100% worthless. I built a software platform 8+yrs ago that would allow me to get all addresses of anyone touching the water anywhere. The program sectors off the entire world in roughly 2*2 mile blocks. Workers can log in and only work within one region and click on all the homes. The software will then reverse geo-code all those addresses and spit them out. You can go back in select all regions in an area or on a lake for instance and spit out all the addresses. Powerful thing if your a dealership for instance and want to send a mailer to everyone on your lake or sales region.. granted the intent of the software was a bit old school back then as the internet and paid search was barely getting started and direct mail was still popular. Some snapshots below *yes i know some are in FL, coastal some are lakes but just for showing how it works and you can start to grasp the size & amount of folks who have property & docks on waterfront.  A simple google satellite will do the same but i doubt many folks spend hours doing such things. 

So what have i learned?.... well you cant imagine the amount of waterfront homes/docks and the vast majority of those folks DO NOT TRAILER on regular basis. The market size amazes me frankly. after doing this for countless hours you may wonder if anyone still trailers a boat other than in/out for the year. (joking).  The boating companies are narrow minded if they are thinking water-sports like surfing should be limited to average joe trailer sizes. 

Anyhow it was a nifty little program. Its still useful in certain areas when marketing items that folks are not searching on the web for because they dont know such things exist. 

Long story short, the market size for a 27lsv is larger than most people on this site know. 

FL1.JPG

FL2.JPG

IN-view-2.JPG

VA-Waterfront-1.JPG

VA-Waterfront-2.JPG

VA-Waterfront-3.JPG

Waterfront Address 1.JPG

Edited by The Hulk
42 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

28-30ft is not even all that large on our small ponds in IN, lots of Formulas, Chappys/Balts etc.. but a twin engine surf ! now your talking! 

Try going out on LOTO on the 4th of july in a 21 VLX. 

We had a 25ft toon on that trip also. But the wife really started looking for x-80's after that week. 

• Like 2

Here's a thought I had while reading this thread. 

Now that Malibu bought Cobalt, could they be seeing the benefits of this larger surf boat market? Surfing is taking the water sports industry by storm. They are now making large I/O's that surf. Could Malibu be wanting to share that market with it's counter part? The 27LSV could break into that market a little bit. Someone else said it but it could win over those I/O people that need the large boat comfort aspect but with a more "surf-centered" performance aspect. Just a thought. 

I personally don't ever want to have more than 10-12 people in our boat. But having 10-12 people in a 27ft boat would be better than having them in our A24 I guess. We trailer twice a year. We have a 30ft slip and a 8,000lb lift. Technically it would work but realistically it would never happen. Unless I win the lottery of course, or I get adopted into @The Hulk's family. 

Also, @cowwboy, your twin engine suggestion for the 27LSV is a very smart option IMO. 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:02 AM, The Hulk said:

when it comes to midwest LAKES (Not costal & excluding the Great Lakes) there is just a crazy amount of lakefront property and dock owners who DO NOT trailer. As you move to the central belt of the country reservoir land the lakes are further apart, however they tend to be larger with way more shore-line mileage. as yo go down south its a mix or reservoir and larger lakes. 

the notion the market isnt there for a 27ft wake boat is goofy. No offense but i think the 0.00001% of boaters who are on this forum have a skewed view of the boating market as a whole and its sectors. Trailering is a thing of the past or is the minority way in areas which allow for private residence/homes/docks etc.. Yes i know there are areas where its not allowed and obviously trailing is the only way. my point is as a whole the market for folks who DO NOT TRAILER is astronomical. 

if you look at the stats of boating/types of boats from 2011 data to now its changing rapidly. Consider that pontoons were only in the 4-7% range and now are taking the industry by storm. heck now you see them everywhere in coastal FL waters now too! 

if your wondering where i get my data well it was in my best interest to know or get all addresses of people with waterfront homes. I only cared about those who have waterfront property with a dock, not the house across the street, or folks who trailer.  Yes you can buy boaters marketing list all day long but they are 100% worthless. I built a software platform 8+yrs ago that would allow me to get all addresses of anyone touching the water anywhere. The program sectors off the entire world in roughly 2*2 mile blocks. Workers can log in and only work within one region and click on all the homes. The software will then reverse geo-code all those addresses and spit them out. You can go back in select all regions in an area or on a lake for instance and spit out all the addresses. Powerful thing if your a dealership for instance and want to send a mailer to everyone on your lake or sales region.. granted the intent of the software was a bit old school back then as the internet and paid search was barely getting started and direct mail was still popular. Some snapshots below *yes i know some are in FL, coastal some are lakes but just for showing how it works and you can start to grasp the size & amount of folks who have property & docks on waterfront.  A simple google satellite will do the same but i doubt many folks spend hours doing such things. 

So what have i learned?.... well you cant imagine the amount of waterfront homes/docks and the vast majority of those folks DO NOT TRAILER on regular basis. The market size amazes me frankly. after doing this for countless hours you may wonder if anyone still trailers a boat other than in/out for the year. (joking).  The boating companies are narrow minded if they are thinking water-sports like surfing should be limited to average joe trailer sizes. 

Anyhow it was a nifty little program. Its still useful in certain areas when marketing items that folks are not searching on the web for because they dont know such things exist. 

Long story short, the market size for a 27lsv is larger than most people on this site know. 

FL1.JPG

FL2.JPG

IN-view-2.JPG

VA-Waterfront-1.JPG

VA-Waterfront-2.JPG

VA-Waterfront-3.JPG

Waterfront Address 1.JPG

If your argument is that people who DON'T trailer WANT a 27 foot boat, I'd say you're mistaken.  If you have a place on an inland lake with a dock and a lift and you ski/board/whatever right from your dock, you don't need to bring all your crap with you all day, and you'll have folks getting in and out of the boat throughout the day so a group of 10 isn't aboard all the time.

I'm from a big Catholic Midwestern family where we have 5 lake homes in a half mile stretch of shoreline all in the family.  My dad's 21' VLX has had as many as 10 people in it a few times.  Crowded?  Sure.  Common occurrence?  Maybe 3x in the 20 years we've owned it...

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

If your argument is that people who DON'T trailer WANT a 27 foot boat, I'd say you're mistaken.  If you have a place on an inland lake with a dock and a lift and you ski/board/whatever right from your dock, you don't need to bring all your crap with you all day, and you'll have folks getting in and out of the boat throughout the day so a group of 10 isn't aboard all the time.

I'm from a big Catholic Midwestern family where we have 5 lake homes in a half mile stretch of shoreline all in the family.  My dad's 21' VLX has had as many as 10 people in it a few times.  Crowded?  Sure.  Common occurrence?  Maybe 3x in the 20 years we've owned it...

IMO it's not about person qty, it's about room , comfort, amenities, ride.. 

I mean all were talking here is pointing out the nose of a ri265 or g25, nothing crazy

1 hour ago, 67King said:

Keep in mind that due to the layout, a 25LSV is going to be notably larger than those 26-28' Cobalts.  The swim platform is part of that hull, but not the LSV, adn the I/O layout encroaches more into the cabin.  Our 22VLX is much, much more spacious than our friends' Cobalt 240

That's my beef with all these, total kill on use of space and platform eats away at interior as well.. 

21 hours ago, Chappy said:

I know several people with 26-28' Cobalt and Regal I/O surf boats, they would all be interested in a 27' Bu. 

They sell R6 & R8 like hot cakes here....  A 27' Bu would be a hit in the south east.  Massive lakes down here.

• Like 2

Tbh I don’t think the original post holds any water. The hulk has spent too much time trying to validate why the 27 is NEEDED, rather than why it’s an actual thing. JMO

Doubt I'm the most common kind of customer, but I would be willing to bet there are a enough like me to make something like this fly. 

I trailer my 22 MXZ an hour to the lake all the time.  If I'm camping out there, I make two trips, one with my 12,000 pound, 34 foot camper, one with the boat.  Yes, I use my F350, which also happens to be my daily driver.  The thought of towing a 27' boat does not give me heartburn.

I will be selling my MXZ in the next few weeks, and ordering a boat for next year.  I don't care about space on the boat.  22 is rarely cramped for us.  I do care about the best surf wave possible.  I had been thinking about a M220, but I had the chance to surf a M240 last week.  It was eye opening.  Granted I haven't surfed the M220, but will get a chance on August 8th.

Now, I'm seriously considering if something bigger will give me a better wave.  The updates to the 25LSV have me considering overlooking the pointed hull that I don't like, and I was already eyeing the ri245, despite the interior.  

Would I buy a 27LSV.  If it gave me a better wave than the M240, at a similar price, or a similar wave at a lower price, I would seriously consider it.

• Like 2

Should probably change the title of this thread before somebody new comes on here, sees it as being "confirmed" and waits on a boat that they will not be able to get.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

The thought of towing a 27' boat does not give me heartburn.

The thought of towing a 27' LSV with a F-350 gives most of us something else.... :rockon:

• Like 1

Just don't understand the towing issue at all. It's like saying you can't tow a g25, or Ri24-265, x26, pavati, eyc. All similar weights,.. still shorter than standard 25 ft pontoon..

Ok y'all will see when the 27lsv leaks... "Game changer" 

I mean Malibu was just outbid on pontoon maker Bartletta, so they will launch the 27 sooner than later.  I was always wondering why they don't own a brand in the fastest growing segment of boating market "toons" but apparently they are trying, and I guess still looking. The price/sale of Barletta is mind boggling for price to PE ratio... just crazy $$!

13 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Just don't understand the towing issue at all. It's like saying you can't tow a g25, or Ri24-265, x26, pavati, eyc. All similar weights,.. still shorter than standard 25 ft pontoon..

Ok y'all will see when the 27lsv leaks... "Game changer" 

I mean Malibu was just outbid on pontoon maker Bartletta, so they will launch the 27 sooner than later.  I was always wondering why they don't own a brand in the fastest growing segment of boating market "toons" but apparently they are trying, and I guess still looking. The price/sale of Barletta is mind boggling for price to PE ratio... just crazy $$!

Wasn't it Winnebago who purchased Barletta?  Interesting move.  

48 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Yes, however Barletta owner sold previous company to Winnebago also..

Crazy in only a few yrs it's now worth 250-300M based on about 9M ebita! Insane payback timeframe IMO, especially when things are at crazy highest and this won't last like this more than 1-3yrs at current demand/levels. They expect to double sales next year, ambitious but probably impossible due to engine and other shortages unless some others are going bust..

8 hours ago, Slayer said:

Bill Fenech was the owner of Grand Design also. He sold Grand Design to Winnebago so the relationship was there. This was not really a big surprise to a lot of people in the industry. My understanding is he was not out shopping it around and Winnebago was the only one with the offer because of the prior sale and relationship. Bill is going to turn around and start up another RV company next year sometime.
When he started Bartletta, he was able to cherry-pick top sales, engineering and manufacturing people from Bennington, and Godfrey and a couple other places. I am sure some of the people he brought in initially got a nice chunk of money from this sale.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, tjklein said:

Agree with Ryan. You're talking 10,000lbs (everything included) with a 1/2 ton and yes, you can do it, but that's not an enjoyable trip.

I have a '20 Super Duty diesel with bags and it tows my 23LSV great, but I can't imagine towing a bigger boat with a 1/2 ton. I towed my old '17 22MXZ with my '19 Ram Limited 1500 and that baby had to work on anything that wasn't flat.

so scanning the centurion website: its interesting. The Ri boats are massive, they are much taller than a malibu and probably more fiberglass. (at lease previous gen 25lsv models)

I dont think a 27lsv is going to weight 1500lbs more than a 25lsv. The new 25 is taller and heavier then previous years now, so it will look better when Malibu stretches it out to the 27lsv. Im thinking it will be a max increase of 700-750lbs over the 25lsv with hardly any added trailer weight. consider the Ri265 would be 27ft if the nose was actually pointed like a LSV... 

Ri 257: 6,150 lbs and Weight on Trailer 7,950 lbs

Ri 267: 6,400 lbs and Weight on Trailer 8000 lbs

roughly 560 lbs with full gas tank  + gear. 

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, asnowman said:

When can i get an 12 foot wide, 20,000 lb 32 LSV?

Check out the MC 300 remodel!!! Ridiculous potential!

30-32lsv day boat would be killer and now your talking brackish and salt water sports boat!

An average 25ft pontoon makes my 25lsv look tiny.. I'm having small boat syndrome

On 8/4/2021 at 12:37 AM, The Hulk said:

Check out the MC 300 remodel!!! Ridiculous potential!

30-32lsv day boat would be killer and now your talking brackish and salt water sports boat!

An average 25ft pontoon makes my 25lsv look tiny.. I'm having small boat syndrome

I stayed tuned in to the MC 300 remodel... and drooled a fair amount. 

Still looking for a 27 lsv as our next upgrade. The cruiser style is just not what we are looking for, but otherwise its awesome.

• Like 2
On 8/3/2021 at 7:28 PM, asnowman said:

When we bought the 2019 25 LSV, we towed it with a yukon xl denali and my half ton pickup, now i rollin a 3/4 ton, and would never look back at that either.  Is it all too much for some people, yes, but i suspect there are more of us anxious to grab one than anyone estimates.  With the 25, we get to go out on days we wouldn't have even contemplated before. 

I tow my 2021 24MXZ (6000lbs dry ) with my 2015 Tundra and it tows it at 80mph with ease and no worries at all.  I did upgrade the leaf springs and have an SC but it seriously tows like a 3/4 ton with the new leaf springs.  Super stable.