Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

27lsv confirmed 2023

The Hulk

Agree with Ryan. You're talking 10,000lbs (everything included) with a 1/2 ton and yes, you can do it, but that's not an enjoyable trip.

I have a '20 Super Duty diesel with bags and it tows my 23LSV great, but I can't imagine towing a bigger boat with a 1/2 ton. I towed my old '17 22MXZ with my '19 Ram Limited 1500 and that baby had to work on anything that wasn't flat.

• Like 2

I puckered with my 2016 23LSV and my half ton.  My 25LSV after one tow forced my upgrade to a 3/4 ton.  If I had known how drastic the difference was I would have upgraded the truck years ago.  

@The Hulk I am not trying to pile on you here and you may be right that if this boat exists Malibu will sell enough to justify it.  But, I am in Missouri and despite the huge number of boats slipped at LOTO, most boats are still trailered here.  I get a lot of folks may tow with a 1/2 ton but reality is they are overweight and these large pontoons weigh nothing compared to wakeboats.  Extra space is always nice but v-drives already are roomier than their I/O equivalents.  Who knows, I may own a 27LSV one day, but right now I doubt I would even shop one. And I now have a 30’ slip at a lakehouse that would house it just fine.  

6 hours ago, Slayer said:

Send me a PM and I'll give you my number.  I'll talk her into it.....

What lake are you on?

Fort Loudon, in Friendsville.  Couple miles upstream from the dam where it splits off to form the GM retirement lake, aka Tellico, and on the other side of the dam where Watts Bar starts.

There are a lot of older direct drives on docks on our lakes.  They don't venture out too often on the water, but there are a lot here.  

• Like 2

So can we merge this thread with the one where there were calls for a 10' beam width (noting 49 states require a wide load permit for anything over 102"?

In addition to the fact that the chassis of a half ton is just not going to be up to the task of a 10K# load, particularly wiht any sort of emergency maneuver, there is also the whole aspect of how you turn the ^%&$ing thing around.  I have a 28' enclosed trailer and a Ram 2500.  I can't imagine a longer trailer without a gooseneck.  I was actually surprised at how appropriately sized the truck felt for my old A22.

But seriously, why are we talking about a boat that would be $300,000 being towed with a half ton?  I mean, if you can afford that kind of boat, a tow rig is a freakin' tax refund.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I puckered with my 2016 23LSV and my half ton.  My 25LSV after one tow forced my upgrade to a 3/4 ton.  If I had known how drastic the difference was I would have upgraded the truck years ago.  

@The Hulk I am not trying to pile on you here and you may be right that if this boat exists Malibu will sell enough to justify it.  But, I am in Missouri and despite the huge number of boats slipped at LOTO, most boats are still trailered here.  I get a lot of folks may tow with a 1/2 ton but reality is they are overweight and these large pontoons weigh nothing compared to wakeboats.  Extra space is always nice but v-drives already are roomier than their I/O equivalents.  Who knows, I may own a 27LSV one day, but right now I doubt I would even shop one. And I now have a 30’ slip at a lakehouse that would house it just fine.  

Agree older f150/GMC with 6 speed are worthless.. my old f150 struggleed with my 23lsv, blew the engine in fact.. just saying if u have the new 10speed and Ecoboost max tow it's night/day. Obviously 3/4 is way to go but not necessary if u max tow out a new f150 if u haven't tried I suggest you do. 

All I'm saying is a 27lsv is going to come in barely over a 25lsv which is still sub g25 weight..

Not a big deal anyway not like any of the the ppl buying this boat will tow it anyway or only a few miles in/out to dealership/storage.

Just saying it can be done. Not ideal. As with many things marketed

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, 67King said:

So can we merge this thread with the one where there were calls for a 10' beam width (noting 49 states require a wide load permit for anything over 102"?

In addition to the fact that the chassis of a half ton is just not going to be up to the task of a 10K# load, particularly wiht any sort of emergency maneuver, there is also the whole aspect of how you turn the ^%&$ing thing around.  I have a 28' enclosed trailer and a Ram 2500.  I can't imagine a longer trailer without a gooseneck.  I was actually surprised at how appropriately sized the truck felt for my old A22.

But seriously, why are we talking about a boat that would be $300,000 being towed with a half ton?  I mean, if you can afford that kind of boat, a tow rig is a freakin' tax refund.

$300k? Nooo that's why it will crush the competition it's only going to be $20-30k max over a 25lsv.. basically g23 range pricing. 

25lsv is already like 34ft trailer standard 25 toons is like 34-36ft 

27 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

$300k? Nooo that's why it will crush the competition it's only going to be $20-30k max over a 25lsv.. basically g23 range pricing. 

25lsv is already like 34ft trailer standard 25 toons is like 34-36ft 

Even at $200,000, you aren't talking about a customer base who can't afford a 3/4 ton truck over a 1/2 ton one.

The enclosed space is 28', the tongue isn't counted in the length, just like swim platform isn't counted in length of a boat.  So it would be like a 26' boat, add 2' for swim platform.  But then again, the axles are more centrally located than they are on a boat trailer, which amplifies the issue even more.

1 minute ago, 67King said:

Even at $200,000, you aren't talking about a customer base who can't afford a 3/4 ton truck over a 1/2 ton one.

I don't think the price difference between a 1500 and 2500 (if there really even is one) would keep people from buying a bigger boat.  The issue is there are PLENTY of people who don't want to daily drive a HD truck.

But maybe the majority of people who are in this market are also willing to pay $80k for a dedicated tow vehicle.  Heck, if they all have multiple boats and lake houses, they very well might be.  But that brings the conversation back to market size......

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

Where are you getting your data from?

It’s much more fun to live in hulk land and just make it up as you go. What he doesn’t seem to grasp is if they do make a 27 lsv, it will be so big and heavy, that it will have too much draft for his lake anyway. Didn’t he say before he can’t draft more than 30”? There’s a reason he hasn’t jumped ship to the bigger centurion…

45 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That cobalt is huge!  I like the classification….not wake boat, not a surf boat …but a yacht!  Very nice, but I think I will stick with my 247.

And very nice.  Cobalt makes a great boat.  We have friends with an R8 and it's awesome.  It handles chop well and keeps you dry.  Great boat.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That cobalt is huge!  I like the classification….not wake boat, not a surf boat …but a yacht!  Very nice, but I think I will stick with my 247.

Many people do not understand. When you get much over 25' in length (can't remember the exact measurement) you fall into the classification of a yacht in the CG and NMMA eyes. It opens another can of worms with yacht cerifications.

9 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

It’s much more fun to live in hulk land and just make it up as you go. What he doesn’t seem to grasp is if they do make a 27 lsv, it will be so big and heavy, that it will have too much draft for his lake anyway. Didn’t he say before he can’t draft more than 30”? There’s a reason he hasn’t jumped ship to the bigger centurion…

look at the chart above, then look at the boating stats /ownership / population etc.. it gets a bit more complicated as you need to exclude coastal. i did a lot of research on this back in the day. 

why would a 27lsv (if a slightly stretched 25) be any different on draft? i beg to differ it may be in fact less draft due to surface area, and probably only 1k weight difference at most.. If the height of the boat is not changed were talking 500-750 lbs max difference (2ft of fiberglass bottom & sides) + 2ft of bench seating... almost nothing. (Gas tank size/filled excluded). Add 2ft longer trailer i mean were at roughly +1k max over a 25lsv putting you around 9k trailer weight. 

anyone buying a "paid" $200k price point could care less about a tow vehicle. borrow a 3/4 ton or have the marine do it for an extra $100 or its already included in your yearly service pkg. 

i guess i'm baffled by the folks who think this is some MONSTER boat? its nothing, middle of the road size wise at best... plenty of small ponds around here have 28-30+ft cabin cruisers or IO's, which are mammoth compared to a wake boat in physical size. it it just the perception that its 27ft... and a wake boat? Nobody would bat an eye if this was a formula, chaparral on the same lake and at 27ft in these boats would be considered average or on the small size. Add the huge swim platforms on these and they are larger yet, with similar or higher in pricing.

Frankly i really wish they would put more effort into making some of those more "surfable".  how many Chaparral & Formulas or similar do you see trailering down the road? hardly any; the local dealers handle them for the customers ie the "DIFM" do it for me crowd...if your a lake-hopper obviously your buying a 23ft or smaller boat mostly. Problem is that is just one small part of the entire market & tends to attract cheaper customers who do not own waterfront. Waterfront owners are not as limited to size as they could care less about trailering more than in & out each year.

There is more profit in larger boats & less qty as many of the components remain similar priced just a bit more fiberglass & vinyl. There is a reason SG is being added to the Chappy line, there is a crowd that wants size/comfort with surfing ability. just look at these style boats they are HUGE compared to a wake boat yet seating is typically less or at least useable butt space is.. how about those monster swim platforms & comfort though? Its not about person capacity vs comfort.  Its not just waterfront home owners there are countless resivors with marinas where 30ft is the norm for the full-day boaters crowd where larger is more comfortable. 

A G23 is  larger than a 25lsv, a G25 is vastly larger than a 25lsv, a Ri257 & Ri265 are crazy large compared to a 25lsv. All the above boats are way taller/larger. part of the appeal to me on the 25lv is that it is a larger boat but looks proportional compared to the comp and is similar to G23/Ri237 in physical size (not length). G-series looks like they need stretched several feet IMO. A 27lsv would be a very clean looking boat and malibu is crazy good at keeping size factor down compared to the others. 

Both 23 and 25 LSV have same draft at 32", but the 22 has only a 27" draft.  I would expect the draft to be a bit deeper, plus I'm not sure what engine you'd have to run in it, which may impact weight, therefore draft.  May require a bigger prop, too.

25 LSV is 1000 pounds more than a 23 LSV.  Extrapolating that out would mean the 27 would be 1000 pounds more.  But again as stated above, there may be more stuff involved than just stretching the boat as is.  Don't see anything that may need to be done making it smaller.  22LSV to 23 is only 300 pounds.  Taking that into consideration means that the mass increase per unit length is exponential, meaning it would be notably more than 1000 pounds.  Probably somewhere around 1700 I'd guess.

25LSV is both 2' longer than the G23, and 200 pounds heavier.  25 LSV has a deeper draft.  Same beam.  Not really sure how one determines the G23 is bigger.

If Malibu makes one, good for them.  Not many of us see the market for one, but as Henry Ford said "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse," so there is certainly the potential for what the marketing folks call "latent demand," which is demand for something people don't even know they want.

Personally, I'd prefer a 22ish foot V-Drive that is focused on a skiable wake.  And while I kind of think the market for that is bigger than a mega-pontoon alternative that'll throw a big surf wake, I don't see the market big enough to justify it.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

why would a 27lsv (if a slightly stretched 25) be any different on draft? i beg to differ it may be in fact less draft due to surface area, and probably only 1k weight difference at most.. If the height of the boat is not changed were talking 500-750 lbs max difference (2ft of fiberglass bottom & sides) + 2ft of bench seating... almost nothing. (Gas tank size/filled excluded). Add 2ft longer trailer i mean were at roughly +1k max over a 25lsv putting you around 9k trailer weight. 

My current 2019 25LSV is pushing close to 9,000 lbs with trailer already (alright, that is with 250# of lead in it).  The new 2022 25 LSV will be heavier and with a larger fuel tank.   A 27 LSV will easily be over 9,000 trailered.    My buddy's 2020 G25 is "larger" than my 25LSV, but not drastically.  He sits about 4-6" higher when we are tied up together.   Also just FYI, the surfgates are going away on the Chaparral and beign added to Cobalt (now owned by Malibu).   

You make some valid points and perhaps the market will follow if it is made.   Based on TMC, it doesn't seem to be something most folks are clamoring for.  

10 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That cobalt is huge!

But it really isn't much bigger than the 25LSV.  Cobalt lists the overall length at 27'10" vs the LSV at 25'.  But I am almost positive that Cobalt includes the swim platform in their measurement where as Malibu does not, making them basically the same length.

Weight is 6700 pounds for the R8 and 6175 for the Bu.  Knowing what I do about Malibu and their listed weights, I'd be willing to bet they are within a couple hundred pounds of each other.

9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

i guess i'm baffled by the folks who think this is some MONSTER boat?

Maybe not a MONSTER, but it is VERY close to the biggest in its class.  Sure, there is a Centurian that is bigger, but neither Mastercraft nor Tige make anything larger, and it has been established that the G25 is similar in size as well.  Comparing this class to cabin cruisers or toon's just isn't a fair comparison.  They aren't in the same classification of boats.

Malibu focuses on the water sports market, and does it very well.  Hulk seems to be focused more on the "lets put a bunch of people on the boat and float" market.  Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't what Malibu markets to, or what their customer base (or at least those represented here) want.

11 hours ago, hethj7 said:

My current 2019 25LSV is pushing close to 9,000 lbs with trailer already (alright, that is with 250# of lead in it). 

And have you looked at the weight rating on that trailer your 25 is sitting on. The sticker is located on front crossbeam. 

Bigger is always better. So while we're dreaming about the next level...

Gigawave - Electric Powered Boat For Wake Surfing. Considered the Tesla boat. And, best wake surf motor boat. (ridegigawave.com)

https://www.ridegigawave.com/

Edited by TwoMargaritasPlease

On the trailering vs lift kept aspect. 
Here in Oklahoma, our Tulsa office of the army corp is anti dock / recreation. So it is very difficult to get private dock permits. 
So there are a lot more trailered boats then in some regions. 

I personally have been keeping an eye out for an X-80 for the last year or two. I have a few friends that trailer them.

I also have a buddy looking for a mid 30' cruiser to daily trailer. FYI he also owns semi's and trailers his boat with a sport chassis type truck.

For me it would eliminate the need for two boats. 
Our lakes can get real rough quickly so a 28-30 ft boat makes life nicer, but I still want to be able to surf. 
We have been looing at sundancer 330's and even a 38 special as a go across the lake boat.

But a 28-30 TWIN engine surf boat would be ideal. 

My opinion would be have an option for twin engine like the X-80.