Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

27lsv confirmed 2023

The Hulk

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

My sources say it isn't.

If the cat gets out of the bag too soon they're afraid too many 25 lsvs will be canceled late next year.. 

This will further exaggerate the production issue of the 27 lsv as they will also be stealing mastercraft pavati and centurion customers...

4 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

The fact that you checked means hulk won. Don’t feed the tro…errrr hulk 😉

Only reason I did it is because there are probably people who are looking at a 25 who might see this crap and decide to wait on a boat that isn't coming.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
(sp)
1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Only reason I did it is because there are probably people who are looking at a 25 who might see this crap and decide t wait on a boat that isn't coming.

Exactly what he said...

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The Door Greeter at Walmart told me yesterday that Malibu was about to build a 40' Direct Drive Tow Boat for Ski Tournaments...

Powered by a Toyota 4 cylinder even.

Seating for 6 people!!

Was the door greeter named Jack??? 😏

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I don't know why people think it is that big of a boat again it's the same size as your average pontoon now.. the most popular 25 foot pontoons are 27 or 27 and a half foot long plus engine... Most of which only hold 14 people on average with a tritoon package... 

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of capacity of persons versus room and comfort and amenities.. I would say 70% of folks on the lakes around here are two boat owners... And our Indiana lakes are small and comparison to up north and down south... 27 lsv would be a lot smoother cut through chop better and have a lot more usable room.. 

Because almost no one trailers pontoons.  And even on the rare occasion they do, they weigh a fraction per unit length of what a surf boat does.

FWIW, we have family come in for the week of July 4th.  Had 10 people on our boat constantly, 5 adults, 2 full grown teenagers, and a 9 and 11 year old.  Never had an issue with room, though I do admit that since we haver a place on the lake, I don't need to take food and drinks for a full day.  But our 22 VLX is plenty for our family of 5 plus friends for the teenagers and 11 y/o.

And very few people around here own two boats, unless one is a yacht (with kitchen and sleeping quarters) and the other is a 22-ish foot runabout/towboat/similar size.  I've only seen 1 24 MXZ, and I've never seen a G25 or similar boat here.  People seem to prefer the 23 foot size options.  May have something to do with how many people trailer their boats, which seems to be most towboat owners.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm pointing out that different people have different perspectives.  Just anecdotally, not many folks would seem to need a 27' towboat.

Edited by 67King
11 minutes ago, 67King said:

Because almost no one trailers pontoons.  And even on the rare occasion they do, they weigh a fraction per unit length of what a surf boat does.

FWIW, we have family come in for the week of July 4th.  Had 10 people on our boat constantly, 5 adults, 2 full grown teenagers, and a 9 and 11 year old.  Never had an issue with room, though I do admit that since we haver a place on the lake, I don't need to take food and drinks for a full day.  But our 22 VLX is plenty for our family of 5 plus friends for the teenagers and 11 y/o.

And very few people around here own two boats, unless one is a yacht (with kitchen and sleeping quarters) and the other is a 22-ish foot runabout/towboat/similar size.  I've only seen 1 24 MXZ, and I've never seen a G25 or similar boat here.  People seem to prefer the 23 foot size options.  May have something to do with how many people trailer their boats, which seems to be most towboat owners.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm pointing out that different people have different perspectives.  Just anecdotally, not many folks would seem to need a 27' towboat.

I agree with this.  As an owner of 3 boats, one of which being a pontoon, I can attest to the statement that people rarely trailer pontoons.  In our area, it's rare to see people trailering pontoons unless its the beginning or end of the season, or the thing needs to go to the shop for some reason.  We see more people trailering towboats or runabouts.  Many in our area living lakefront own 2 bots and generally it's a watersports boat and pontoon.  This is overly generalized, but that's my experience.  Most wake boats we see here are 22-24'.  There are TONS of large pontoons in our market.  We have a 28'-6" double deck pontoon that is used primarily for large gatherings of family and friends.  Our 23LSV is primarily used for watersports and our RLXi does nothing but ski.  Everyone's situation is different, but the market for a 27' wake boat seems rather slim.  

10 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I wonder what the take rate is for a 25LSV vs the 23LSV?  I know if I were in the market today, I'd do a 25, but it seems I am in the minority as I see relatively few of them.

Anything above the 23 really needs a HD truck to tow it, and a 27 certainly would.  And that limits the market further, as plenty of people don't want to DD a HD.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems kind of silly to compare a wake boat with a toon.  Two very different boats, and I doubt many people cross shop them.  Especially when they start looking at the prices.

The vast majority of boats in my area are trailered everywhere they are used.  And our "lakes" are puddles.  I know every market is different, but I can't see much demand for a 27LSV here.

And, FWIW, I have lots of friends with boats.  I'm the only one I know that has two (my Bu and a fishing boat).  70% of boat owners have multiple boats?  Hard to believe......

I agree.  I think that 70% number in my market for waterfront home owners is likely pretty accurate.  But again, these are people living on the lake.  I know few that live on the lake and only own 1 boat.  

15 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I agree.  I think that 70% number in my market for waterfront home owners is likely pretty accurate.  But again, these are people living on the lake.  I know few that live on the lake and only own 1 boat.  

I need to get you to talk to 67Queen.  Been asking for a DD for skiing since we bought out lakehouse :)  I'm know am an old fogey, but I'd rather ski than anything else, personally.

9 minutes ago, 67King said:

I need to get you to talk to 67Queen.  Been asking for a DD for skiing since we bought out lakehouse :)  I'm know am an old fogey, but I'd rather ski than anything else, personally.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my number.  I'll talk her into it.....

What lake are you on?

51 minutes ago, 67King said:

Majority of lake home owners in IN/WI/MI/MN areas are 2-4 watercraft owners: typically a speed boat / wake boat and a Toon or maybe some PWCs or all of the above. @RyanB A 27lsv is obviously more a lake-home owners boat.

Trailer folks dont typically go for a pontoon. a speed boat or wake boat is more attractive to this crowd. (tows better too)  Most lake front Home owners trailer their boats once in for the year and once out (apart from service if needed). They store their boats at the dock or mostly on boat lifts assuming the boat is of decent value and worth protecting. 

The Trailer market/boater is just a small market sector in the lake regions. For the most part in the midwest your trailer boater is "cheaper boats" fishing boats run-a-bouts speed boats etc.. very few in this market are trailering high end wake boats. Yes there out there but as a whole of this sector they are a very small % and hard core water sports folks

MN/WI/IN/MI are HUGE markets for lakes/lake-home owners that do not trailer. also down south center belt of the country where you have large Floating boat houses/docks/lifts as well MO/TN/OK/TX etc.. 

21-23 is the most popular wake boat on smaller lakes and has been simply due to price points and those were forever the largest sizes... the market is forever changing and going the larger route much faster than before...just look at the boat lift industry and that alone is a leading indication of boat sizes moving to the larger size. 

the 25lsv pulls perfectly fine with an F150 (granted max tow pkg/ecoboost) , it would easily pull a 27lsv on a triple axil as the 27lsv is only a 2ft stretch in the center: were talking like max 1-1.5k more weight putting it well under F150 towing capabilities. yea before i catch all the crap about that consider most of these folks are going to drive a few miles to drop in and pull out once a year. Perfectly fine basically G23-G25 weight here. Granted if your pulling further you would want HD. And why even bother half the folks dont even do it themselves their local marinas drop in and pull out & servcie for you. half the folks buying new boats around here dont even own a tow vehicle. 

its the same argument when the 25lsv came out...its too big its too huge... now its just average at best... and Malibu's largest boat is smaller than all its competitors, yes even compared to a G25 which dwarfs a 25lsv in physical size (just not length) 

2019 number of recreational boats.. underlined are mostly lakes while 0 marked is lot of inland lakes but also mix of coastal which would obviously be excluded. 

literally the vast majority of the boat owners market can easily handle a 27lsv with the size of the lakes/resivors. Excluding the coastal markets MN/MI/WI/MO/TN/IN/IO/OK/KY are basically more than half of the entire boat owners.... this is excluding FL inland lakes !!!

image.thumb.png.b39b737eaa930bce489bd115f94f9484.png

30 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Trailer folks dont typically go for a pontoon. a speed boat or wake boat is more attractive to this crowd. (tows better too)  Most lake front Home owners trailer their boats once in for the year and once out (apart from service if needed). They store their boats at the dock or mostly on boat lifts assuming the boat is of decent value and worth protecting. 

Out here we all trailer. Yes there are some lake home owners, but they are far and few between on the west coast. I only know of a handful of people who slip there boats for the season. I have never heard of a boat being sold without a trailer out here.

31 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

very few in this market are trailering high end wake boats. Yes there out there but as a whole of this sector they are a very small % and hard core water sports folks

Again we all trailer on the west coast!

31 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

the 25lsv pulls perfectly fine with an F150 (granted max tow pkg/ecoboost) , it would easily pull a 27lsv on a triple axil as the 27lsv is only a 2ft stretch in the center: were talking like max 1-1.5k more weight putting it well under F150 towing capabilities

Let me know when you are on the road. I do not want to be around when you are pulling a 25LSV with a 1/2 ton. Our roads out here are terrible. And how steep our ramp is, no way would I do it. my 25LSV pulls my boat down the ramp if I am not in 4wd. And I am heavier than most 3500 DD.

My close friend just bought an 18 24MXZ sitting on triples. He pulled it ONE time with his 1/2 ton. As he is only 20 minutes from the ramp, he thought he could get away with it. His wife now has a  Chevy 3500 High Country:lol:

And to add to this. In Cali, if the trailer is rated at over 10k pounds, a Class A license is required.  Don't get me started on the non commercial Class A for RV's. Some guys that don't hire out for towing, as in owner operators that don't charge for drive time, are getting away with a non-commercial class A license. I got pulled over a couple months ago and the "MAN" told me those were specific for RV. Who wants to risk that much trouble for a weekend boat that big.YMMV

31 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Out here we all trailer. Yes there are some lake home owners, but they are far and few between on the west coast. I only know of a handful of people who slip there boats for the season. I have never heard of a boat being sold without a trailer out here.

Again we all trailer on the west coast!

Let me know when you are on the road. I do not want to be around when you are pulling a 25LSV with a 1/2 ton. Our roads out here are terrible. And how steep our ramp is, no way would I do it. my 25LSV pulls my boat down the ramp if I am not in 4wd. And I am heavier than most 3500 DD.

My close friend just bought an 18 24MXZ sitting on triples. He pulled it ONE time with his 1/2 ton. As he is only 20 minutes from the ramp, he thought he could get away with it. His wife now has a  Chevy 3500 High Country:lol:

And to add to this. In Cali, if the trailer is rated at over 10k pounds, a Class A license is required.  Don't get me started on the non commercial Class A for RV's. Some guys that don't hire out for towing, as in owner operators that don't charge for drive time, are getting away with a non-commercial class A license. I got pulled over a couple months ago and the "MAN" told me those were specific for RV. Who wants to risk that much trouble for a weekend boat that big.YMMV

the West market (excluding CA coastal) is very small as a whole. Lowest % boat ownership region in the country and so many places you cant own property on a lake etc.. smaller boats that trailer easier are going to be the norm. 

Frankly the 25lsv is really not bad with max tow F150, 11k+ tow capacity. its lighter than a G23.... granted we are flat-non mountainous... you know its there! but its fine.

did you friend have a Raptor? haha jk jk.. 

its not like its a big investment for BU they probably only need to sell 15-20 to break even on the boat mold and the gas tank and center ballast tank roto molds.. its laughable yet smart; its going to cost them about $2k in extra material (fiberglass and longer bench seating) and they can easily upsell for $20-30k... 

Edited by The Hulk
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

the West market (excluding CA coastal) is very small as a whole. Lowest % boat ownership region in the country and so many places you cant own property on a lake etc.. smaller boats that trailer easier are going to be the norm. 

Frankly the 25lsv is really not bad with max tow F150, 11k+ tow capacity. its lighter than a G23.... granted we are flat-non mountainous... you know its there! but its fine.

did you friend have a Raptor? haha jk jk.. 

its not like its a big investment for BU they probably only need to sell 15-20 to break even on the boat mold and the gas tank and center ballast tank roto molds.. its laughable yet smart; its going to cost them about $2k in extra material (fiberglass and longer bench seating) and they can easily upsell for $20-30k... 

i thought AZ has the highest boat per capita in the country