Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My boat lost to fire at local marina

PNWoke

It held up pretty good I just watched the 15 minute video of it burning and then my bro finally getting to it and freeing it. Crazy how much heat this boat held up to without catastrophic failure.

07FDFD68-3F81-4881-92C2-1B5E6DD73B63.jpeg

61CB92DC-44E7-4956-9D49-3840979A2179.jpeg

A375258A-7EE3-4AAC-843D-57F0CC2D4420.jpeg

0C599F1E-3D7A-4C6F-A8F4-C5E2310DBF08.jpeg

430CEAAC-4797-4B40-9FD5-AA8DD50D157A.jpeg

E2B28CB5-3BE5-4D71-8BCF-5D675518BD79.jpeg

• Sad 2

Man, that really sucks! Glad everyone is ok.

@CharlieBeaUis the resident total loss expert around here, after his brand new to him 2014 was melted by a dry storage marina fire a few years back. I think he had a check from insurance within a week and was into a new 2017 shortly after. Same dealer as you too, but the market was different then, as you know.

That SUCKS..... especially right now when replacing it will be even more expensive... Hopefully the insurance company will take that into consideration and hopefully it isn't your insurance company but someone else's that is paying off

10 minutes ago, skurfer said:

Was that in The Dalles?

Yes

2 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Sure hoping no injuries as posted above. Sorry. Testament to Malibu quality, she still floats. Keep us posted on the event and your progress.

Steve B.

No injury’s.  Indeed the boat still floats and runs fine mechanically - I drove it on the trailer and brought it home today.  I’m leaning towards having it fixed but will wait and see about what the insurance says and what lead times are on the major parts and fiber glass repairs.  I have some great memories on that boat and feel like I was just getting it dialed in nicely.

• Like 1

Man!!  I'm happy to hear that no one was hurt.  I'm sorry to see you have to deal with this mid season.  Hopefully your insurance company comes to the party with a good solution.  

I have no info about this particular fire. I am aware of a couple of different marina fires that were started by what is referred to as "faulty" electric. Often, that means someone had a battery charger go bad.

I know that many, many people trust them and use them as a "trickle" charger, leaving them plugged in for weeks without checking in at all. If I owned a marina, I'd either disallow, or I'd require an extra charge, and it would include a daily check on your battery charger so that your grandad's old hand-me-down unit won't burn down everyone's stuff!

11 hours ago, PNWoke said:

Yes

No injury’s.  Indeed the boat still floats and runs fine mechanically - I drove it on the trailer and brought it home today.  I’m leaning towards having it fixed but will wait and see about what the insurance says and what lead times are on the major parts and fiber glass repairs.  I have some great memories on that boat and feel like I was just getting it dialed in nicely.

If you do fix, I'd pay a marine inspector to go over everything.  Look for melted, collapsed ballast hoses, melted wire looms or insulation, etc.  Depending how hot things got, it could become a bit of a money pit if there is damage beyond the immediately obvious.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Good looking boat.  I am glad you went the replacement route.  Hard to imagine that there was not concealed damage somewhere that would come back to haunt you.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:11 PM, Surf4FamFun said:

Good looking boat.  I am glad you went the replacement route.  Hard to imagine that there was not concealed damage somewhere that would come back to haunt you.

Yeah Malibu wouldn’t stand by the boat anymore due to the extensive heat.  No doubt running aground or into another boat or object can create extensive damage too, but the difference is that you can see all of the damage, cut a couple inches around the damage to ensure you get it all, then commence with the repair.  With heat damage they really can’t know where the damage begins and ends.  5 years post repair it could delaminate with no warning.  

I'm really sorry you lost the boat.  That said, I LOVE the color scheme on the replacement.  If I ran into a 15/16 low hour VLX with those colors I might get weak in the knees

2 hours ago, MNNewb said:

I'm really sorry you lost the boat.  That said, I LOVE the color scheme on the replacement.  If I ran into a 15/16 low hour VLX with those colors I might get weak in the knees

Yeah the 2014 was a great first boat for our family.  It had 550 hard use hours on it when we bought, and needed quite a bit of work (throttle, cats, muffler, 2 ecm’s)but it was dialed in when it burned, but also was over 800 hours.  The vinyl wasn’t particularly well cared for by previous owner so it worked out as a great learner boat for our family.  Didn’t have to sweat the kids spilling Capri suns, or tracking a little sand in, no big deal. The new boat is essentially how I would have designed it factory new, and previous owner kept it as close to near showroom condition as he possibly could with 320 hours on the clock.  Now our girls are a little older and appreciate having nice vinyl and a clean boat so I think it will work out really good.  

• Like 4

So the fire happened on 7/3 around midnight.  Although my closest Malibu dealer (AWS Oregon city) was 3-4 weeks out on service appointments they made an exception for my situation and agreed to take my boat in for an estimate within 3-4 days of the accident.  It took them about 2 weeks to assess the damage and create a report which indicated that the boat was beyond conventional repair.  My insurance (State Farm) took a couple more weeks to work the claim through their adjusters.  Yesterday I got the final word: I’ll be keeping ownership of the burnt boat.   So now I am working different angles to determine what kind of value it has if it were to be fixed up.  I’m really excited to figure out whether to sell it as is, or get the fiberglass and interior work done and see if I can find someone to take a chance in the $40k-$60k range.  If you know of any really good fiber/paint/vinyl shops in the Columbia River gorge/PDX/northwest area I would appreciate it greatly.  Take another look at your insurance - this situation could have been so much worse I feel like I got lucky with State Farm.

Edited by PNWoke
  • Like 3